1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rate this laptop

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Bahir the Red, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

About 640-750 Euro, but since the two computers mentioned above (the latest and the 17'' one) are 533 and 608 Euro respectively, it kinda makes me think paying up to 750 Euro is too much, since I won't be playing Mass Effect or any such game (although, of course I would like to try Fallout 3 some day).

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It generally means it will make use of the RAM (the 2048mb)...which probably isn't too big a problem with Infinite engine games (given that they tend to run fine on 256mb). I'm not too sure how much Vista would like it (I'm still not ready to leave xp), perhaps someone else could answer (I think the general consensus is you want at least 2gb, but that's probably just opposed to 1gb, given you generally don't have amounts in between)

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So you're looking to spend around $1000USD. With that in mind, I'd go with the HP d6700t series laptops.
    The HP dv6871us is a preconfigured 6700 that's going for $930 (that's only €606) It comes with an Intel C2D T5550, NVIDIA Go8400GS, 3GB of RAM, a 320GB hard drive, a built-in 802.11N.

For a little more power, you can choose to configure your own 6700t series laptop and choose a faster CPU, more RAM (you need Vista 64-bit to support 4GB of RAM), or a bigger hard drive if you want. :rolling:

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A little sidenote on vista. I had 2 gig of ram and it worked slow. the google picasa picture browser was so slow... Now I have 4 gig on 32 bit. It make too much difference not to do it. So yes, vista is very memory demanding, so using onboard graphics in a vista laptop is a no go. Take the 8400/2400 setup as an absolute minimal. (the ati's being a bit weaker but cheaper)You said it yourself that you want to watch video on it.

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

I have decided to go with the 17'' screen posted above, and I will install Win XP on it for what I think will be better performance. I will also, if there is room, increase RAM on it by 1-2 GB.

Aside from what has been posted in the guides on this forum, is there anything else I should concider/do with a new laptop?

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    a small notebook mouse. A stand whit cooling fans on it to keep it cool during gaming. An insurance if the warranty if insufficient. Spare battery. But it all adds up.

I assume it is the dv6871 metioned by Kitrax. Good machine, good specs. it might be possible to get it whit xp. It is mentioned in posts a few times, perhaps not here, that a vista liscence gives you the right to take XP instead. So the need for a extra xp version might be avoided.

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Nope, I'm talking about the 17'' laptop that I posted about (the Acer TravelMate 7520-7A2G16Mi). I think it will be solid enough, and I think that if I wanted the computers Kitrax posted about, I would have had to import them to Sweden (which means that the price would increase by over 25 % due to sales tax, customs fee and intrest and more). I'll tell you how it works once I get it (so that you can say "I told you so" if it turns out to suck :D).

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hell, with the currency rates the way they are right now, it would be cheaper for you to fly over to the US, buy the HP, and then continue to Australia. :p :rolling:

9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Those clutzes I ordered the computer from apparently didn't actually have the computer, and had no intention of ordering in new ones, so I made a rash decision to get this one instead:

ACER TMATE 5520-7A2G16MI ATHTK-57 160GB 2GB 15.4IN DVD±RW VHP SS

4 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB typ A
    1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
    1 x infraröd - IrDA
    1 x bildskärm / video - VGA - 15-pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
    1 x bildskärm / video - S-videoutgång
    1 x ljud - linjeutgång/hörlurar - minihörlurskontakt, stereo 3,5 mm
    1 x mikrofon - ingång - minitelefon 3,5 mm
    1 x ljud - linjeingång - minitelefon 3,5 mm
    1 x modem - telefonlinje - RJ-11
    1 x nätverk - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45
    Antal (lediga) kortplatser: 2 ( 0 ) x minne - SO DIMM 200-pin
    1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54
    1 ( 1 ) x PC Card - typ II
    Diverse
    Egenskaper: Plats för säkerhetslås (kabellås säljs separat), administratörslösenord, systemlösenord, hårddisklösenord, Disk Anti-Shock Protection System (DASP), wake on LAN
    Standarder som följs: ACPI 3.0
    Tillverkarens garanti
    Service och support: 1 års garanti
    Service och support (specifikationer): Resegaranti - 1 år
    Processor
    64-bitars datorkapacitet: Ja
    Dual Core
    Kretstyp: AMD M690G
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57
    Kontrollerkort
    Seriellt ATA-gränssnitt: Serial ATA-150
    Typ: Serial ATA
    Video
    Videominne: 256 MB
    Max tilldelad RAM-storlek: 640 MB
    Grafikprocessor/tillverkare: ATI Radeon X1250 HyperMemory upp till 896 MB - PCI Express
    Ljud
    Ljudutgång: Ljudkort
    Ljudingång: Mikrofon
    Egenskaper: Acer 3DSonic-stereohögtalare
    Display
    Bredbildsskärm: Ja
    Färgstöd: 24 bitar (16,7 miljoner färger)
    Egenskaper: CrystalBrite
    Max upplösning: 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
    Typ av bildskärm: 15.4" TFT
    Strömtillförsel
    Strömenhet: Extern
    Nätspänning: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
    Nätverk
    Nätverk: Nätverkskort
    Protokoll för administration på distans: DMI 2.0
    Stöd för Wireless LAN: Ja
    Datalänkprotokoll: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
    Standarder som följs: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
    Egenskaper: Acer SignalUp
    Trådlöst NIC: Acer InviLink 802.11b/g
    RAM
    Installerad storlek: 2 GB / 4 GB (max)
    Formfaktor: SO DIMM 200-pin
    Konfigurationsegenskaper: 2 x 1 GB
    Teknik: DDR II SDRAM
    Cacheminne
    Typ: L2-cache
    Lagring
    Hårddisk: 160 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    Operativsystem / Programvara
    Medföljande OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    Microsoft Office Ready: Inkluderar en bild av utvalda 2007 Microsoft Office-programsviter. Köp en Medialess License Kit (MLK) för att aktivera programvaran.
    Mjukvara: Cyberlink Power DVD, Acer Launch Manager, NTI CD-Maker, Acer GridVista, Adobe Reader, Acer Empowering Technology, McAfee Internet Security Suite (Trial), NTI Shadow, Microsoft Office Ready 2007 (Trial)
    Optisk lagring
    Typ: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrerad
    Ingångsanordning/-ar
    Typ: Tangentbord, pekplatta, 4-vägs scrollknapp
    Egenskaper: Inbyggt numeriskt tangentbord
    Batteri
    Installerat antal: 1
    Driftstid (upp till): 2.5 timme/timmar
    Teknik: 6-cells litiumjon
    Kapacitet: 44.4 Wh
    Telecom
    Modem: Fax / modem
    Max överföringshastighet: 56 Kbps
    Egenskaper: Wake on Ring
    Protokoll och specifikationer: ITU V.92
    Kortläsare
    Typ: Kortläsare 5 i 1
    Flash-minneskort som stöds: SD-minneskort, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, xD-Picture Card
    Notebook-kamera
    Kameratyp: Inbyggd

10. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

This is a bit overdue, but anyway, I bought the computer above, and with advice from you all and other good sources, I have installed programs and features such as

COMODO Firewall Pro
    AVG Antivirus
    Threatfire Antivirus and spyware
    JkDefrag
    CCleaner
    TweakVI
    CodeStuff Starter
    Mz Vista Force
    Logon Studio Vista
    Vista Battery Saver

It's running pretty smoothly, except that the shutdown time is minutes long. Any idea about what could be causing this and how to improve it?

And oh yes, I am in Adelaide now. Weather is not awesome, and it's a bit of a change from the Swedish summer, but apart from that, everything is going smoothly. I have gotten a place to stay, and have enrolled in my classes (although I'd like to fill out my schedule a bit more).

Stu, let me know if you want to meet some time. I'm open for anything.

11. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

V.nice selection of utilities there - I almost forgot about JkDefrag, just re-set it as my screensaver then.
    Most google results tend to suggest reducing the "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" value in the registry. Just go Start->run->"regedit" (without the quotes) and follow the steps here.

The weather's been truly **** of late, but on the bright side it shouldn't get any worse. I'm actually leaving for Cairns in two days to get away from it all, but ill PM you when I get back (~10days) and hopefully we can catch up for a beer or a feed sometime.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.