1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranting time...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Koroth, Feb 1, 2006.

1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think the "just about anyone would try to kill you on sight" factor comes into play with regards to why you can play a half-orc instead of an orc.

Mind you, in most versions of D&D, orcs were pretty much restricted to being one hit dice wimps who adventurers mow down like wheat so you have to wonder why a half-orc would get a bonus to strength instead of a penalty. It seems to me that a half-ogre would make more sense.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, it's the same 'adventurer' principle that applies to humans. Most humans would be even weaker than your average orc, but for characters, just reaching level 1 usually means you are better than average. So a level 1 human can take out an average orc, just as a level 1 half-orc can take out an average human or orc.

3. Gawain Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I agree -- adventurers are exceptional specimens, the equivalent of professional athletes today--the top 1% or less of the population.

Figure that (in 2e) the average persons stats are 9,9,9,9,9,9.

Adventurers, especially successful adventurers, are freaks of nature.

4. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

@JSBB
    Would people in towns be glad when they see duergars and drow? The orcs can't be much more evil than them?
    I usually see the orcs as strong but lazy creatures! They aren't really stupid but maybe not always as clever as humen. But I can't see them as "evil by nature" as D&D seems to see them.

I think the average stats for an average human should be 10,5 (3d6). The extra roll of the adventurer (the usual roll 4d6 and choose the 3 best) is to make them a bit better than average but not by much in level 1.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well the orcs in ToB were prett fearsome, with 60 HP and wielding axe+2s.

And tackle orcs in HoF. You will be in for a fiery suprise. :shake:

6. Madafaka Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just a thought on Koroth and paladins as "Crusaders for Good" -- check out the "Song of Roland" where the Paladins of France fight the Paynim (i.e. Moslem) Paladins; an even dozen on each side, of course.

I much prefer the 2nd Ed stuff, but I also favor the 3rd Ed bit about multi-classing as thou pleaseth (almost) regardless of race and alignment.

The whole problem is really the D&D insistence on "alignments" and, even worse, "alignment languages" -- have they been scrapped yet? ("Hello, I speak Neutral Good.") Even though I like BG and IWD, I outgrew PnP D&D rather quickly and switched to RuneQuest, where anyone could do anything: no classes, no alignments, "paladins" for virtually every cult, cast a spell and cleave some sod in twain...

That's what's needed -- a WeiDU mod turning the whole BGT experience into RQ rules...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.