1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rank these CRPGs:

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Klorox, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Lynadin:
    Yeah, I was a little disappointed too, especially given that IWD2's existence on the list makes it damn near impossible to forget. :nono: I say we make new lists to include it.

1) Baldur's Gate
    2) Icewind Dale
    3) Baldur's Gate II
    4) Planescape: Torment
    5) Icewind Dale II
    6) KotOR (NOT D&D! :p )

@Susi:
    I intend to, only once for the story. If the gameplay proves to not be as crappy as I imagine, I may just play it again. :heh:

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would rank Icewind Dale 5th thus dropping Icewind Dale II down to 6th.

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If I could pick any CRPG's I'd want to, IWD2 wouldn't even be on my top 10 list ;) .

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

What? The rules are quite simply 2e, they have been tweaked a bit though because of the special nature of the game.

In any case...

1)Planescape Torment (Torment is GOD)
    2) Baldur's Gate (For some reason I enjoyed this one more than the second one, probably because of the infinity engine being all new then.)
    3) Baldur's Gate II (An excellent CRPG, would rank before the original one but the concept was less new when released)
    4)KoTOR (It's a good game but I'm not all that fond of scifi which killed some of the fun and also the combat system was not all that good.)
    5) IWD2, IWD (They are both equally good. Neither one is excellent but both have challenging combats and are generally fun to play.)

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Actually, where are the NWN games in this list?

Mine would be:

1) Icewind Dale II
    2) NWN - Shadows of Unrentide
    3) NWN - Hordes of the Underdark
    4) BGII
    5) BG
    6= Icewind Dale, PST, KOTOR (not played them)

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

All the games I didn't list I left off for a reason.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm sure you did, but we've hijacked your thread to put in more games. And so long as we include your original 5 games, you can derive the 5 game list from that.

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

1) Baldur's Gate II (inc. ToB)
    2) Icewind Dale II
    3) Planescape: Torment
    4) Baldur's Gate (haven't played)
    5) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (haven't played)

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

There isn't as much love for KotOR as I thought there would be - what happened to all the exclamations of 'This is the greatest game evar!'...

10. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well, its main suckyness and inferiority to the D&D games could have something do do with it...

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It's Star Wars. I hate Star Wars.

12. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Not to mention the fact that ranged weapons are utterly crap (at least in the first one).
    My picks are:
    1. PS:T;
    2. BG2 + ToB;
    3. BG + TotSC;
    4. IWD 2 (truth be told, I've never managed to play it yet, always got distracted);
    5. KotOR (it' nice and smooth the first way through, but it has little replay value).

13. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

It is a decent game, but it is like a skeleton when compared to IE games.

14. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

- Baldur's Gate II (inc. ToB)
    - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    - Planescape: Torment
    - Baldur's Gate

(Haven't played Icewind Dale II, so I can't vouch for that)

15. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

1) PS:T
    2) BG2
    3) KotOR
    4) BG1 (never finished :o )
    5) IWD2. Never really got into IWD and I never even installed IWD2, not sure why. I think I'll give it another chance pretty soon; at first I think the vast differences between 2e and 3e rules overwhelmed me, since I have no PnP experience and loved BG2 so much.

edit: So, it occurs to me that IWD 1 wasn't 3e rules. I guess I did install and try IWD2 after all. =O

[ December 28, 2005, 20:00: Message edited by: Jhonka ]

16. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

1)Planescape Torment (no question)
    2)Baldurs Gate
    3)Kotor
    4)Baldurs Gate 2
    5)Icewind Dale 2

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    1. Planescape: Torment
    2. Baldur's Gate/Tales of the Sword Coast
    3. Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal
    4. Icewind Dale II

Didn't play KotOR. Fallout and Fallout 2 would easily place above IWD2 -- as would the Ultima saga.

Come to think of it, many games would place above IWD2 (The Dig, Gabriel Knight, Return to Zork, etc.).

18. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

1) Baldur's Gate II (inc. ToB)
    2) Icewind Dale II
    3) Baldur's Gate
    4) Planescape: Torment

Didn't play Star Wars!

19. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll have to make some changes in that list of mine, seeing as I've played PS:T now ;)

1)PS:T
    2)BG
    3)BGII
    4)KoTR (still haven't played it)
    5)IWDII (still the worst CRPG i've yet to play)

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I'm playing KotR now and it's certainly going up in my list. Whether or not it will overtake BG2 I don't know - seeing that I haven't played it in so long. Seems like a pretty good game, with some problems - but then, all games have problems, and these ones aren't major.

A replay is needed though really - to see whether different choices make any real difference (which I've been led to believe they largely won't).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.