1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranger help (possible class quest spoilers)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Jayshaw91, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] OK, what the hell happened? I am now unwelcome in Umar hills. Would anyone know why? I completed ranger quest 1 by killing the offending group (lost the other journal half, had no choice). Now I go back and I'm not welcome I'm told. Does ANYONE know why this would be and what I can do to fix this? I did get the kids drunk earlier in the game and two locals are whining about this. Is that the problem? Help! I don't want to start over but I will if I'm in a class where I can't do the quests for it.

Jason

2. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ok i hate to say this. But you did practically everything wrong!!

Do you want a spoiler or what?

3. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31

Sure, what the hell. Shoot me a spoiler. Keep in mind I want to know what I did wrong and how to fix it, not what I will miss from being a bonehead. Where did I screw up? The kids or the massive slaughter? CAN I fix this? One thing I have to say is that thank GOD I saved the game right before I slaughtered the dudes off, so if that is the case what I now need is a cheat code to reproduce the journal half I'm missing... any ideas where I can get that?

Jason

[This message has been edited by Jayshaw91 (edited October 27, 2000).]

4. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

First, don't bother the kids, they are not critical. Second, talk to the dudes, instead of killing them. The goal is to make them protect the village. Third, the villain is in the temple ruins. Go there and kill him.

5. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I play a Ranger dual Cleric and am now the official Ranger of Umar Hills.

Jayshaw91, don't worry about the kids; if you've bought them swords and ale, on the next trip there look into the cave again and rescue them from a diseased gibberling (assuming you cleared out the mimic and umber hulks earlier).

When you say you've completed quest 1, I assume you've killed the Shade Lord. Who do you mean by the "offending group"? I talked Madulf and gang into protecting the village but I don't think killing them will pose a problem to your status. In fact, if you don't kill them, you will get a quest 3.

If your "offending group" are the treasure seekers (decendants of the journal writer - quest 2) and you killed them, then that is probably where you went wrong. You don't need the second half of the journal. I found the treasure first with attached explanatory note in a pile of rocks near south-east corner and then approached the treasure seekers. In your conversation with them, remember you are a GOOD ranger.

The cabin in Umar Hills is now my stronghold and I have just completed quest 4 :)

6. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Ok, here's what I mean. Being a ranger I did get access to the cabin early on. I was dealing with the treasure hunter descendant dudes and yes, I killed them all like the skum they are! Ok, from what I'm understand I was a bad, bad ranger. So what you're telling me is to go back to where I saved it RIGHT before killing them SOB's off and find this piece of junk they're looking for? Where exactly is it at?

Grovflab, I think what you sent was pertaining to something earlier that what I'm asking for info on. Thanks anyway

Ganz, uh... where the heck are the kids? I know of ONE cave in the Umar Hills area and they're not in there. I've been in twice hoping they'd show up or something. Are there two caves? The one I know of right off hand is just left and a touch north of the dead center of the map. Is this the cave?

Ganz, can you give me a bit more detailed idea of where to look for this piece of junk they're looking for?

I guess the good news is I saved it and will only lose a week of game time, huh? This could be a lesson for some newbies: if you are going to do something you're not sure about SAVE IT AND DO NOT SAVE OVER IT!

Thanks for the help, guys!
    Jason

7. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Jay, I misunderstod your question. I thought the dudes were Madulf and gang. Anyway, I think I killed those treasure hunters without loosing rep. But then, it is more than 3 weeks since I played Umar hills, so I am probably wrong.

8. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31

I didn't lose any rep, just suddenly I'm the bad guy around the village and not allowed to use the cabin anymore. The LAST thing I did was whack those guys, go see the forest spirit (was it a dryad?) and complete the quest, and the next time back in the village I was "no longer welcome". Ugh...

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think your problem was in killing those guys. If you talk to the leader and agree to find the mithril for him, he will pay you for it and then leave without doing any more harm to the forest.

10. Ganz Gems: 6/31

Jayshaw91, you're right, there is only one cave there and that's where I found the kids - drunk and chased by a diseased gibberling. Be patient, they'll turn up. I found them during my second or third quest (or was it fourth?).

As for the treasure seekers (he probably has the first half of the journal), the writer of the journal did say he wants his descendants to have his "hoard". It's no big deal - just a mithril necklace with an explanatory note. What I did was to go around the edges of the map along the north, down the right side and then across the bottom right to left. I came across the treasure just before meeting the treasure seekers. It's in "a pile of rocks surrounded by a copse of trees" as described in the journal. Note that it wasn't here before when you did the Shade Lord quest.

Take the journal to the treasure seekers. I am not sure about this, but I think that if you surrender the treasure without taking payment or compensation, your reputation goes up one point. Anyway, the next time you are in Imnesvale, the residents will sing your praises.

Happy hunting!

11. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31

Thanks guys. I'm gonna look for the treasure tonight. I PRAY I can find it and it's there! Any chance you could send me a screen shot of the location or would that be asking WAY too much?

12. Ganz Gems: 6/31

Sorry, overwritten my saved file.

13. The Wretched Gems: 6/31

[​IMG]
    Oh, and in case you want to know where the treasure is, the pile of rocks is almost directly to the right of where the treasure hunters are standing. It's hard to miss, as long as you hover your mouse cursor over every pile of rocks in that area. :)

14. Jayshaw91 Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Hey, I got it guys. Thanks a bunch! Like I said before it's a DAMN good thing I saved this before I whacked em all =)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.