1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranger/Druids

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Gunthar, Aug 4, 2000.

1. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I just read an old post in which I was suggesting that the combination of Rangers and Druids should be possible and I noticed the Fat Egg agreed with me. Intelligent fellow that Fat Egg. Who else thinks this would make sense. They both are nature related and Ranger/Druid makes more sense than Fighter/Druid. They would have to be True Neutrals unless Druids can be other than that in the 3rd edition rules.

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I think that since the ranger, in 2nd ed rules was a fighter with some nifty bonus's was the reason he couldn't multi, although I think in 3rd ed, since the multi rules have changed, and very dramaticly too, it seems very possible, we'll find out in about a month.

3. hooligan_inc Guest

Sounds cool, but aren't Rangers only allowed to be good-aligned?

4. Superbish Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Um... No. They're both nature related, but the Druid tries to keep it completely balanced (hence the true neutralism), and the Ranger is more like a protector, militant and defensive (which why they must be good). I had some other points, but they've seemed to slip away...

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Thanks Gunthar! And obviously I agree.

6. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

Yes rangers do have to be good, but a lot of rules are being scrapped and rewritten so the druids might actually get some deacent rules that make them playable in AD&D.

7. hooligan_inc Guest

I think that Druids should be Neutral Good, Neutral Evil, or True Neutral and nothing else. It'd allow a lot more flexibility.

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I agree. A Ranger/Druid makes more since than a Ranger/Cleric, which was in 2nd Ed. The expanded Druid aligment also makes sense. I looked playing a Druid in 2nd Ed. but the True Neutral was so hard to RP.

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] You couldn't play a ranger/cleric in AD&D 2nd ed. you could only multi class using the fighter, mage, cleric and thief classes.

10. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] With the new rules I saw something about having evil or neutral Paladins. This makes sense because evil gods and religions would have their own religious fighters. So for the Ranger I can see having a neutral one, since protecting the woods is maintaining the balance and not actualy doing good specificaly. An evil Ranger could be part of an evil forest cult or aligned with evil forest dwelling creatures. The world doesn't rotate only around good.

11. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] About time they did that, although I did manage to get rules for evil paladins (anti paladins)a while back. And the worlds in which the games are set don't revolve around good, no, but lets face it, almost all adventures are written for "good orientated parties" and I think thats what the games all about, Go be the heroes sort of thing. Besides the rule when I'm running a game is players can't be evil because it saves on a LOT of stupid stuff, but then maybe thats just my players.

12. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

With the ability to create your own scenarios in Neverwinter Nights, I'd like to see some more emphasis on evil because it would actualy be possible to be evil then.

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] My problem with evil characters and BG was that so many quests put your reputation up, pissing off the evil people in the party. I think that the real evil people would want people thinking highly of them so that they're easier to manipulate and fleece. The reputation should have had nothing to do with alignment, apart from possibly keeping track of if you has to be good or nuetral characters lost thier abilities for not acting the correct way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.