1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Felinoid, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Boston traded their captain, 1998 first overall draft pick, Joe Thornton to the San Jose Sharks for a second line forward, a depth forward, a top four defenceman and about 1.5 million in cap room.

Most who call in to talk about it think that the Bruins should drop the "b" from their name. They did beat the Senators 3-0 tonight, so that's some good news for them.

Speaking of shut outs, Mikael Tellqvist got his first carreer shut out against the Thrashers as the Leafs won 4-0.

2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I really don't see what all the complaints are about. It really seems as if Thornton is past his prime already. Sure, he's still relatively young, but he just hasn't been putting out lately. IMHO, the trade was an absolute steal for Boston, three quality players for one who might someday be as good as he once was.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Saw pathetic VB match tonight. :heh: The Wisconsin Badgers clobbered Loyola: 30-18, 30-26, 30-14. The second game was only so close because the Badgers were screwing around. Example:

Badger serves too low and pegs a teammate on the back of her shoulder. When they get it back, the very next Badger serve pegs a teammate in the back of the head and they grin at each other. (If that wasn't planned, they must have been ridiculously tired, and they didn't have to move nearly enough to tire out our hardy girls.)

That would have had me rolling in the aisles if there'd been room; the place was packed for the playoffs. Tomorrow night we play California to advance, and I may or may not be going, depending on whether dad's date cancels. :grin:

4. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG]
    He did pretty good against us last night. :nolike:

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Maybe he's just realizing that he's not immortal, and that he can be traded, so he has to pull his weight. Or maybe I was totally wrong in my earlier comments. :p

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Red Sox traded Hanley Ramirez (great prospect), Annibal Sanchez (great prospect), and a smaller prospect for Josh Beckett ( :eek: ), Guillermo Mota ( :eek: ), and a possibly resurging Mike Lowell.

SWEET! And we did this without a general manager!

Now, to get rid of Manny and Wells, and to resign Johnny will be a much harder task...

BTW, does anyone actually know who the Red Sox are, or am I just babbling to myself?

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Dad's date didn't cancel, so I didn't get to see the VB game last night, but they swept California anyway: 30-23, 30-22, 30-25.

The Packers should be done losing soon, dropping them even farther to 2-10, the first loss at home to the Bears since '93. Meanwhile, the Bears stay at the top of the division at 9-3; Bears fans may not think so, but this is really a$$-backwards IMO.

8. Aces Gems: 19/31

Well the Bills managed to blow a 23-3 4th quater lead and lose 24-23.

:bang: :flaming:

9. Gnarfflinger

I look at the Thornton trade as a change in direction for the Bruins. They weren't getting the job done this year, so they traded their highest paid player to get three guys that can play and free up 1.5 million in cap room. Look for other struggling teams to off load salaries in such a manner at some point...

10. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Patriots, Patriots, I love the Patriots. 7-5 now, in an awful division, but we're coming back. We held the Jets to 3 points, and Corey Dillon is the man. If we do make the playoffs, expect us to be tough, maybe make it past the first round. The colts won't beat us again... I HATE THE COLTS!!!

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The Bruins traded their star Thornton?? Who with? He's a quality player IIRC.

12. Gnarfflinger

Correct, and their top scorer. But the team at that point had only 2 wins against division rivals, and if that trend continued, they'd be out of playoff contention by early February. I think this trade heralds the start of a rebuilding phase for the Bruins.

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:banana: :spin: Brad Gushue may be Olympic bound! Horray for the Newf!

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Personally, I saw the Thornton trade as more of a move for Boston to shake up an underperforming team and save a bit of cash. San Jose on the other hand gets a relatively young star player whom they can attempt to build a team around.

I don't think trading away a good young star for two older players and a third player who is only four months younger is how one normally goes about starting a rebuilding effort but I suppose that given the salary cap it is no longer possible to just unload your high cost players for prospects or draft picks.

15. Gnarfflinger

In some markets, rebuilding can't take too long. you need guys that can play now to make the changes they needed to make...

16. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Were Man U sleeping yesterday. Fergie is so gonna get screwed over in the rags for this :shake:

17. Aces Gems: 19/31

Sabres win again! :banana:

At least we got one team around here that knows how to win. :rolleyes:

18. Gnarfflinger

The Toronto Blue Jays have made some aggressive moves, landing AJ Burnett, BJ Ryan, the traded for a decent hitter, and are looking for one more before the start of training camp...

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bah, Australia managed to score even more runs in the 3rd game than they did in the 2nd! 331-7! What a nightmare.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Tendulkar made his 35th test century today. What a player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.