1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, but my point is by playing with other top atheletes, it can really improve your chances of getting picked early in the draft, making alot more money. All in all, the new guys at USC will be getting screwed for the transgressions of previous players/coaches/admins. That policy stinks. Punish the school monetarily and historically, but not the new guys. You start to impact thier possible futures when doing so.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    dmc - are you reasonably nervous about the Lakers now? I still think the Lakers will win the series. I simply don't think Boston will be able to win three in a row. The Lakers play much better at home, and I think they will tie the series tonight. Game 7 would also be in LA, and there is a huge statisical advantage for home teams in Game 7. While Boston showed they are capable of beating the Lakers in LA, they needed a near-perfect game to do so.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm nervous because I don't like the way the Lakers played either of the last two games in crunch time. They misfired on offense and defense and generally did not play up to their capabilities. I know that home court will help, and some of the muggings will actually get called as fouls, but someone other than Kobe has to come and play or the Lakers will lose.

(By the way, game 5, to me, should pretty well dispell the whole Kobe quit on his team thing from a couple of years ago against Phoenix -- it showed that no matter how well Kobe plays, if his team mates can't score the Lakers are going to lose; he has to get them involved.)

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think Kobe was trying to get his teammates involved. Everytime he went to the paint, no one slashed to the net for him to pass to when drawing the double and triple-teams. Bostons was bringing 2 to 3 guys on him everytime, but the other Lakers were flat-footed when it happened. I am really surprised at that, as Jackson should of changed his sets up a bit to disrupt this. What hurts the Lakers when Boston does this is they don't have a point guard that can take over and start driving to the lane as well. Fisher is to old and Brown doesn't have it. Kobe can't do it all.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What an ugly, ugly game 7. I guess someone had to win (or, to be more specific, someone had to lose). Nice that the Lakers finally made some FT's. Also, the Celtics were just bad. They were up 13, the Lakers were choking, and the C's couldn't put them away. Bleh. Happy with the result, but unhappy with the game itself.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have no doubt in my mind that the better team for the series, taken as a whole, won.

As for the game itself - I agree - the Lakers were downright pitiful in the 1st half. If the Celtics weren't nearly as bad, the Lakers wouldn't have come back. It was looking dire for a while there though - the Celtics did manage to take a 13-point lead in the 3rd quarter.

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Woohoo! Pironkova just beat Venus Williams, 6:2 6:3 !

I don't think a Bulgarian has ever played a semi on Wimbledon, here's hoping she won't settle just for that :D ! Mind you, despite her playing a great game, I can't help but think Venus Williams wasn't at her best either. I mean, she's #2, losing in an hour and a half after having taken a total of 5 games was quite the surprise. Still, that's her problem - I say Go Tsveti!:banana::banana::banana:

And now the football game is on :beer:

8. dmc

Media:
    Williams played a tactically horrible match and was unwilling or unable to deal with the change of pace. I thought it was an excellent strategy against her and it obviously succeeded. I was watching at the gym this morning and you could just see Venus self-destructing. Kinda funnny, actually.

9. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

We've crushed Canada in a friendly basketball game yesterday, 123-49. We are among the big guys, as far as basketball is concerned, but really I don't know if we are so good or Canada is so bad.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Steve Stricker is killing us. I just hope we can end this day something like even.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

All Blacks vs England at Twickenham.

Always look forward to a rugby test at Twickenham.

Go the All Blacks!

Are you watching it, Barmy?

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    I was at work mate, but I saw the score. You killed us! We're still in transition though. We miss the old boys who gave our team backbone. I'm speaking of Dallaglio, Johnson etc.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It was awesome to England actually use their backline and run with the ball for once. Much better than the stodgy 10 man game they've been playing for the last 20 years.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yeah, but the problem is, you play the All Blacks at their own game then you're going to get dicked. You need to get in their faces and stop them playing. Clive Woodward knew this, which is why he won a World Cup.

15. Harbourboy

Clive's team played well for one year. They were rubbish before and rubbish after. So hardly an endorsement for a successful long term strategy. 10 man rugby only worked in 2003 (because those 10 men were really good and the strategy was executed perfectly) and was a relative failure every other year. Especially under the revised rules, you've got to actually score points to win, and England did pretty well to do this on the weekend. They came really close to winning towards the end. If you've got 15 players on the field, it's best to use them all.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    We will let the French, All Blacks and Australians do that. We will play the spoiler game, thank you very much, the one that got us a final place at the last World Cup. We simply don't have the players to play your game - that is a fact!

The All Blacks would swap none of their backs for any of ours.... but would maybe swap a few forwards.

17. Harbourboy

Um, I can't think of a single current England forward I'd like to swap any current All Black forward for. Those aren't the 2003 forwards. Lewis Moody wouldn't make the All Black 2nd XV.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    You wouldn't want Andrew Sheridan in your pack?

19. Harbourboy

To replace whom? Not Woodcock or Franks. Maybe he could displace Afoa on the bench.

20. Harbourboy

See! I told you that England would profit from using all 15 of their players. England got the ball out their backs and cleaned up. Under the new rules, that style of play is more rewarded. Well played, England.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.