1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Lakers were trying to cheat a little defesively, leaving Allen a bit of room. He is a great at getting open as it is. Brown definitely wasn't keeping up with him. Even Kobe tried to help double-team a few times. leaving Allen and payed the price. The Lakers will adjust for the next game. Aldeth is right, Allen won't do that every game this series. Boston will stil have to someu p with something new every game to keep LA on their heels.

Rondo's rebounding numbers are misleading. Their lack of dominant man in the paint on the offensive end opens the lanes for him to crash. Most teams(with the exception of teams with Low-post dominance, which is fading in the NBA nowadays, with Athleticism taking over at most positions) will take Rondo being the leading rebounder on Boston anyday.

2. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

KG stepped up but now Allen was 0-13 :D .

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That game was there for Boston to win, they missed alot of oppurtunities.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think the series is over. Boston needed that game a lot more than LA did. To put it another way, I could see LA losing last night be still going on to win the series. Now the next two games for the Celts are must win games, as there's no way they can go back to LA down 3-2 and expect to win the series.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Ugh! What a weak goal to give up to lose the cup. Oh well, next time. The Flyers made a pretty good run of it, very unexpected prior to the playoffs starting.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  6. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Too bad for Flyers. Scott Hartnell had the best playoff beard.. no; the best playoff LOOK I've seen in a long time. Ville Leino had an incredible postseason, one can only guess how many :doh:-moments Detroit GM Ken Holland had during the playoffs :D .

7. Blades of Vanatar

And the Celts come up big. 2-2. They need another one in LA though. I think Kobe pours it on from hear on out. 4-2 LA win.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hope so. I had visions of Powe and House in last night's game. Lakers' bench is just pathetic and the Celts bench guys have such energy and hustle that it completely swung the game -- got the crowd into it, got the players into it, etc.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I'm not a Laker fan by any means, but if I were, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. This was a must-win game for the Celts. The next one is too.

Let's put it this way, even should the Lakers lose game 5, I can easily see them winning the series in 7. If the Celtics drop Game 5, there's no way they're going into LA and winning the last two.

So the result of this game is completely irrelevant if the Celts don't win the next one as well.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Yeah, I agree DMC, bench-wise, Boston definitely has the advantage, especially when playing at home. But in big games, stars usually shine.The big games are to come and the Lakers bench, except Odom, won't be seeing alot of playing time unless their is someone in foul trouble. Kobe and Gasol need to take over from here. though with logging alot of minutes every night, we'll see if they have enough left in the tank.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm not worried about relative stamina, as the Celtics are older and much more beat up than the Lakers these days (except Bynum, who was obviously limited last night for the first time in the series).

To me, the Lakers should win the next game, but they have shown a dismaying ability to seize up against high energy teams at some bad times -- that's my only real worry at this point.

Gasol is so much younger that the "Big 3" and Kobe is clearly a terminator or some other high end cyborg. Too bad Fish disappeared last night.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The only problem with the goal was we didn't hear the dut-da-da-dut-da-da-dut-da-da-da-da-da-da....

13. Blades of Vanatar

I'm taking alot of enemy fire here in IL. Of course, it is somewhat deserved, I was talking up the Flyers and maybe, just maybe talking down the Hawks, just a little.... :cool:

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    What does everyone think about the sanctions imposed by the NCAA on USC? While I understand that the NCAA cannot just let stuff like this slide, it also seems that the people who get punished were not the people responsible for the penalty in the first place, which doesn't seem completely fair.

The main charges stem from Reggie Bush, who has long sinced turned pro, and do not effect him in the least (beyond his public image, but since the Saints just won the Super Bowl, I imagine most of his fans still like him). The head coach at the time (Pete Carroll) has since left the school (and it defies belief that this investigation did not play a part in his leaving), and he is now the coach of the Seattle Seahawks. So the sanctions don't affect him at all either.

The current coach (Lane Kiffin) was an assistant at USC back in 2006 from when the charges came, so he is at least somewhat tied to the situation. But the people being most punished are the current USC football players who cannot play in any bowl games over the next two years - and they weren't the ones responsible for any of this.

15. Blades of Vanatar

I agree Aldeth. They should strip USC of all wins during the time period that the cheating was concentrated in. Bush should lose his Heisman trophy. Also, there should be some type of provision with the bowl-game money that if a team was busted, like USC, they would have to pay the money back. Penalizing the newest crop is a crp solution. Or, if NCAA is going to go that route, they should do both, not just the latter.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Although, I suppose to be completely fair, it is possible that some of the current players were on the team when this was going on. A red shirt freshman in 2006 would be a fifth year senior this fall.

17. Blades of Vanatar

If that is the case, I would understand it, but every case is different. If any remaining players are connected to the wrong doing, I would understand it, maybe. Though they would still be penalizing a lot of innocent kids that way. I know they say they're punishing the school, not the players, but with pro salaries these days, the players are losing exposure with the sanctions against the school. I don't like that solution.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Oh definitely the last three recruiting classes who are being punished have no ties to the current allegations. I'm not sure what you mean though by the players losing exposure. USC can still appear on TV, and scouts can still go to the games. The only thing taken away is their ability to play in a bowl game. NFL teams will just have, at most, two fewer game films to review on a player.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Yeah, but it will have ramifications for USC in recruiting for the following years, which can hurt team performance and possible coverage for the team down the road, which all relates to them getting exposure later on.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    NFL scouts are not going to stop visiting USC. Heck, every year you see players drafted from Div II and Div III schools that never appear on national TV. You cannot propoerly scout a player while watching a game, or even game film for that matter. That's why scouts go to college games - so that they can specifically watch what that player does on every single play.

While I agree that many top prospects may decide against USC in the next two years if they have offers elsewhere (and the top prospects always have multiple offers), the top athletes from USC will still be drafted annually every draft.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.