1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Ok... it's been over 48 hours, so I might as well complain rationally to someone.

Liverpool lost. :(

Riise nearly gave me a heart attack a week ago.

On Wednesday evening, I only watched half of the game. I really wanted L'pool to win, partly because my brother and father kept inventing more and more own goal jokes.

Somehow I wasn't surprised at the way events unfolded. I've been watching Liverpool games long enough to know that I can expect pretty much anything from them. That's part of the club's charm for me.

I was a bit sad. For some reason, I can't be mad at Liverpool, no matter what they do.

Now I just have to survive first day at the faculty. I have an acquaintance who is a Manchester fan... Enough said.

I'm still undecided regarding the final match. Chelsea or Man U?
    Does it matter? My heart stayed in the semifinal round.

For the sake of argument, let's say Man U. Vidic plays there.

Barmy, I have a feeling you might comment. :p

2. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Goodness knows why. :p

It's a shame that isn't saying much.

Watching all the Henman fuss struck me as rather silly- we couldn't have actually expected him to win, could we?

That said, the English always seem to believe that they're going to win the football world cup (perhaps it's the same sort of thing). Even my very limited knowledge of football tells me: yeah right!

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    He's big, he's bad, he's better than his dad ... Stuart Bro-oad, Stuart Broad :).

He's a quality player he is, Harbs. The future of English cricket, and I've been saying that for years.

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So there it is, Manchester United won the Champion's League. Congrats to all their fans... Those penalties must've been a nervewrecker, especially the way Ronaldo missed.

Now go party :D

5. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Incredibly tense final. United should have wrapped it up in the first half but Chelsea came strongly into it after they got one of the poxiest goals you'll ever see. The game ebbed and flowed after that. Some drama all the way through, right up to the very end. You would have to feel for Terry, only barely missed despite slipping. I thought Chelsea were deliberately trying to provoke a reaction when they confronted Tevez. I must say I was delighted to see it backfire so badly.

Thought Ferguson got his tactics spot on at the start but I thought his substitutions were very strange. Giggs seems to be well past it at this stage.

Some great performances by both teams. Must say I was surprised by Ronaldo. I thought he'd be missing again but he was one of the best on the pitch (despite his miss). He was quiet for periods in the second half but this was when Chelsea's midfield were on top and he wasn't getting the ball. Vidic, Evra, Makelele, A Cole and Terry were other standouts.

6. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Ye gods, what a game! Not the prettiest ever, but plenty of drama. Overall, I feel that ManU did really well - especially the defenders. If anyone, Rooney was the weak link tonight. As far as Chelsea go, played the second half brilliantly. I have sympathy for them - except for Drogba and his petulant moment of madness. After tonight, I don't think many tears will be shed about his (probable) departure.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not sure that anyone here cares about the NBA, but the Lakers just seriously stole game 1 from the Spurs -- down 20 in the middle of the third quarter and win by 4. Woot!

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

With a little delay...

Woot! It was about time for our guy to shine, and he could hardly have done it better.

9. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Danica didn't do too well, did she? Can't say I'm sorry to tell you the truth. I don't much care for her. I actually like Sarah Fisher better. It's a shame Fisher doesn't have the equipment that Danica has. I don't think it's talent either, if you get my drift. Anyway, congrats to Scott Dixon on his 500 victory. It was a good race. I'm just glad Andretti didn't win.

10. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

The Munster Hurling Championship has started back and Waterford have relinquished their title with a crashing defeat to an average Clare team in the first round. 2-26 to 23. After roughly a decade of pundits predicting that they the team had reached the end and didn't have another year in them it looks like they're finally right. Even allowing for a host of injuries the team looked very unfit and had no fight in them whatsoever. It's so bad that it's not just looking unlikely that they'll win the All-Ireland but if they don't improve drastically they could be out by July. Gutted. Waterford have many similarities to 90's era Keegan's Newcastle. After being useless since their last trophy in the fifties a marvellously entertaining team has come along to enthrall neutrals but has never quite been good enough to win the prize. Waterford, however, could do with Newcastle's ability to perform under pressure and defensive solidity. After several years they're still being undone by oppenents using the dastardly 'run straight at the goal and wallop the ball into the net' strategy.

Terrible day all round. After a two and a half hour drive back I ended up going to casualty instead of home. One of the guys got some dirt in his eye (!?) and was in agony. Nothing serious but they had to wash it out and cover it up overnight. That put paid to our plans for a night out afterwards.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Did anyone watch or care about the Stanley Cup win last night? Pittsburgh lost the NHL championship to Detroit. Wish my wife liked hockey, maybe I coulda seen it . . .

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I think it might be safer to buy a second TV for some of those moments :)

13. Loreseeker

Media:
    The obvious stuff first: Euro 2008 started. :)

followed by a bit of national pride: Ana Ivanovic won the Roland Garros. (truth be told, I never saw the match, but the score was periodically and clearly shouted through the house by my brother, ruining my nap.)

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Yet another Triple Crown winner was denied!

From the begining, someone rushed to an early lead and cut off Big Brown while another moved to prevent him from passing. Somewhere along the line, it was speculated that Big Brown took a kick, so when it looked like a top 3 finish would not happen, the Jockey pulled up to prevent injury.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The rights to the (unofficial) Canadian national anthem have been bought by CTV.

Hockey Night In Canada will never be the same.

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

So, I heard the Celtics won the NBA finals? Good for them, and congrats to their fans. I was cheering for them a bit when I was into basketball

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Go the Black Caps! 3-1 series victory over England. Woohoo!

18. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Just heard a good comment on Eurosport. They were sending from the Tour de France, and a Swedish guy had written and suggested that lifetime exclusion was too harsh a punishment for doped rides. He thought a thirty-year quarantine would be enough... :D

19. Loreseeker

Media:
    Serbian national team in volleyball (men) just lost the final match in the world cup to the USA team, 3:1.

I had hoped they would win, since the team has 2 silver and 2 bronze medals, but no gold ones. :(
    They can't seem to win finals.
    Nikola Grbic has been the captain of that team since... well as long as I can remember. He's very dedicated to the game, which I highly respect in players and I'm rather sorry that he didn't get the world gold... again.

Oh, well, silver medal is also great. :) Bravo, guys. :clap:

Congratulations to the USA, too. :p

20. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I've been playing about 15 hours of basketball a week again since I started college. I LOVE it, but it's really mostly since I don't have much else to do.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.