1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

And tonight Sweden won for certain with 5-0 against Iceland. That might not be much to you, but Iceland is the only country in this qualification that have defeated North Ireland and they did it with 3-0.

Next up, the decision on the 3-3 game and later on the rematch this fall.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh my God, I'm missing regular football so much already... thew new season is still a while off! The close season is a horrible time...

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Oh yeah, for those of you wondering, the decision was 3-0 to Sweden. We're ahead by far now in our group.

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Register: Danish journalists have calculated that:
    - if Denmark wins the rest of our matches (including away to Sweden and Northern Ireland and home to Spain...)
    - and if Sweden lose their away match to Spain
    - and if Sweden and Spain win all other matches

- then Denmark will qualify along with Spain, with Sweden and Northern Ireland in third and fourth spots. :p

...And yes, that is a LOT of ifs! I think Sweden and Spain will qualify.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

This may not be the most interesting news for most of you but the Dutch under 21 football team just made the finals of the EC-21 by defeating young England. It certainly was a thriller with a penalty shoot of 13-14.

Those lads show such heart while playing, it may not be the best football but it certainly is fun to watch.

6. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It was horrible to watch, especially if your an England fan.. penalties and England don't mix. :( We defended so well I can't believe we conceded in the last few minutes, Holland were the better team though hope they go on to win it.

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Well, usually Holland and penalties don't mix either, just check the WC and EC recordbooks. EC 92 in Sweden, out after penalties, EC 96 in England, out after penalties, WC 98 in France, out after penalties, EC 2000 in Holland, out after penalties, see a pattern here?

@Apeman

Would you happen to know if there's still tickets available for saturday's match against Serbia? I was thinking of going to the stadium if i can score some tickets for me and my friends.

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

@Pacman

I have no idea, but considering the popularity of the team lately I doubt that there will be any tickets left.

9. Duffin Gems: 13/31

England have an even worse record! WC 90, EC 96, WC 98, EC 04 and WC 06 have seen us go out on pens. Yesterday we scored enough penalties to win 3 shootout and still went out!

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31

4-1 win against the Serbs, back to back European champions. :grin:

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ricky Hatton just destroyed Jose Luis Castillo with a killer left hook to the body. If he's thrown a better punch in his career, I don't think I've seen it.

Guwon the Hitman!!

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

How's this for Irony:

Boof Bonser (I'm not making that up, it really was the guy's name) of the Minnesota Twins was so carefull pitching to Frank Thomas in the 6th inning, in hopes that he would not surrender the Big Hurt's 500th carreer homerun. Thomas walked on 5 pitches. The next pitch was sent over the Right field wall by catcher Greg Zaun.

13. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    I guess Boof Bonser's real name used to be John but he changed it to Boof. :rolleyes:

I think it's great when they intentionally walk someone, which is basically what they did here, and the next guy gets a big hit.

14. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

What a week for sports scandals. The NFLer dog fighting, another Tour de France cyclist tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, the NBA referee accused of betting on games including those that he officiated himself. Next thing we need is for Barry Bonds to hit three more homers to reach and breach the all-time MLB home run record.

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Blog, you are forgetting that the Chris Benoit Autopsy results are still being discussed, adn what responsibility the WWE has, and the effectiveness of its "Wellness Program". You also didn't mention the war of words between Jim Balsillie and his lawyers and Gary Bettman over the sale of the Nashville Predators. There's still talk on how Bettman botched the CBA he all but forced down the player's throats. Teams that lost huge sums of money last year are now forced to spend more money on salaries than they did before the lockout...

16. Montresor

Media:
    Things in the Tour de France are moving faster than I can type - and I'm not referring to the cycling. :eek: Just saw that Michael Rasmussen has been fired from his team Rabobank and pulled from the Tour, and the entire Rabobank team has left the race as well. Two other teams - Astana and Cofidis - have left the race earlier following positive doping tests.

Here's a novel idea for Tour de France: A number of teams start the race and the last team with a non-doped rider wins! :lol:

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

.....or we dope every single person in the tour up so much that it will all be leveled out :p

It's funny really as I rarely watch the tour but this year I watch two days. One was the one where Vino won and went over the line with tears in his eyes only to be announced doped up a day later.

Second is seeing Rasmussen defend his lead two days and winning the last one only to be fired the very next evening. Fired for alleged lying about location charged, sure he is completely clean but he lied to us so we had to let him go.....only a few days after two other teams left the tour.

It's insane really, how can anyone ever be sure of every single tour victory of anyone to be a legitimate victory. They should just cancel the entire sport.

18. Montresor

Media:
    I was a little too fast yesterday. The remaining seven Rabobank riders will be starting today. Sorry about the misinformation; I had it from the Danish press. Should have known better. ;)

19. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    I think they are making too much drama about the whole doping affair. First Vino is a god, then a traitor...darn. Yes he did something wrong and yes he should be punished, but what he did is understandable to some degree and human. Also, I wonder about the influence of the entourage on decision-making with regard to doping. Honour is involved, money is involved... Nonetheless, the German press (and others) are going overboard in their inquisition-like approach of the problem in my opinion.

After Vino there was Moreni and now there's Rasmussen (although he hasn't actually been caught). Contador has been linked to Fuentes by the German Press...

If they want cycling to be clean (or rather more clean, because you can't eradicate doping completely in my opinion), they will have to accomplish a complete change in mentality.

Right now, the best man to win the tour would be Evans, I suppose. I don't have a problem with that because he cycles(/rides?) for a Belgian team. :p

I totally disagree with Apeman. If you cancel cycling, you'd have to cancel not only a whole bunch of other sports, but also other areas in life where institutions can be found that function along the same lines of thinking, e.g. the financial world - fraude. It must be innate in man.

I don't say that we don't have to fight it, though.

[ July 26, 2007, 13:35: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

20. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well the thing is IMO that the Tour de France consists of around 20 grueling days of cycling. I read that an average cyclist burns 8000 calories per race, for three whole weeks.

The human body just cannot take that kind of abuse without some kind of 'help'. The only sport nowadays in cycling is to find the very limit as to what substance is legal and what is not. It almost looks like the actual cycling has been put to the background of the importance list.

And yes in that case I don't see the point of continuing a sport where actually doing the sport normally has second place on their minds.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.