1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

2. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm on holiday for 2,5 months and it will last for another 1 month. But after that I will sometimes work until dawn and sometimes work for 30 hours non-stop. So, naturally I hate university

3. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Sick to death of hearing the same quotes from 'Emma' and 'Clueless' over and over again in English...luckily we'll be moving onto revising 'Frontline' soon...

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

My main gripe is simply people who can't give a whit about doing their job; when I was a 'phone monkey' I found I was spending most of my time fixing accounts that were either a) screwed up by the actions of my co-workers, or 2) screwed up by the inaction of my co-workers (the aphorism "A stitch in time saves nine" does have foundings in truth). Fortunately I checked with the doctor about my chronic sharp abdominal cramps and discovered I was just a few weeks away from an ulcer. :eek:

In my current and humble profession of fry cook, I've leaped to the front of the pack; we get a lot of staff turnover so I find I'm spending half my time training new cooks! :cool: At least they'll know what they're doing. :D

But what burns my toast currently is, again, people who just don't care enough to do their job, or at least think ahead about what's going on.

Okay, we roast whole chickens, fry fries, taters, pieces of chicken and wings (and no, we're not KFC, though it seems like it some times ;) ). In the morning, when the store opens, we have some roast chickens come out (for ppl to buy for a group for lunch, say), and prep the hot case (taters, chicken parts and wings); takes maybe an hour or two for ALL of it; from nine to eleven, no prob. Then we cook and replace what runs out in the hot case as the lunch rush breezes through; that's over by about one-thirty or two.

Now, at this point the morning cook is supposed to check the whole chicken display and put on some more birds in the roaster for an hour or so. Usually the changeover between morning and evening cooks is three o'clock or four; essentially the birds should finish cooking as the turnover occurs and the evening cook will package and put them out.

Buuuut.... any time I've got the evening shift, I'll find that birds haven't been put on yet, so as soon as I arrive, I'll have to beat feet to get the birds in the oven so that I'll end up with them on display before the evening commuters come around looking for something to take home to the family for dinner! :nolike:

And other little things like not cleaning this tray or that rack - that only takes three minutes to wash off. Etc. Etc.

All in all, tiny little annoyances, but I've been at this for six months, and a half-year of flybites build up! :bad:

Basically, I find people are LAZY (myself included). But some people cannot even bring themselves to overcome that 'instinct' when they're getting paid to work...

As I said, morning prep has to be finished by eleven Ante Meridian. But often a competent cook can get all that done by maybe ten-thirty or quarter to eleven. With the local offices don't start their lunch hours until noon, that means there's at least an hour of 'nothing to do'. Most of my peers (including those that have been working there longer than me) have yet to clue into the fact that if the boss sees you idling around, she'll GIVE you something to do! :) So they'll be standing around chatting with co-workers, gabbing on the phone, and basically goofing off without taking a break.

Me? I'm wiping down the fryer, washing up pans, off to the freezer to replenish food stock, etc. Even just cleaning off the prep counter or rinsing out the sinks! (I find stretching around for cleaning helps my back and legs from the continual standing around - less aches & pains by the end of my shift)

As such, if I'm on a four-to-nine evening shift, (with food service stopping at seven), I'll have all my work (including cleanup) finished by maybe quarter-past-eight (since I'm doing things while waiting for that load of taters to fry for thirteen minutes, instead of twiddling my thumbs), and I'll come around to help the counter staff clean up the front (since I'm now bored ;) ).

And YES, my co-workers also give ME the 'you're working too hard and making us look bad' bizness. :lol: Although, the people I've trained are a little less lazy than most - one chap who was 'shadowing' me, on one slow, lazy sunday afternoon, spontaneously and from no suggestion of mine, asked for a knife, some tough grease-cutting clenser, and a roll of paper towel, and went to cleaning off the back of the fryer! :jawdrop: (usually we'll do a full cleaning of it maybe twice a year; disconnect the electricity, empty it out and wheel it out back and take a pressure steam sprayer to it for an hour or so) So, I guess there IS hope, after all.

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Heavens, jaded empath! How on earth can you manage to be so motivated at your work all the time? That's really admirable, especially when nobody else cares that much about their job.

I'm lazy myself, but there are lazier people, and all in all I made some good results when I worked, so maybe that counts.

6. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Pleh, my Jap teacher gave us a whole stack of writing tasks to do and they're all due tommorow. ARGH!! >_<

7. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The impending doom of chemistry lectures hangs over my head... :mommy:

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Now that I am deep into architecture, I have been struck straight in the face by one of those What the hell am I doing here? feelings.

Not only am I buried under stupid dissertions and homeworks (which has made me consume my monthly intake of caffeine in a week), but frankly, architecture sucks.

So it's time to pick back the black book of degrees and start searching for something else... dunno what yet, I still got a month to decide.

It seems I have picked up the mantle you left behind, Jaded One... only difference is that I don't work for f****** Robbers. F*** those bastards. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You might find this link of interest:

The official I Hate Rogers website

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Only six more weeks of the year to go, then it's the holidays! All my subjects have suddenly got very dull and boring. We got this new lecture for calculas today. An old Indian guy who sounds like he's about to drop dead. A few words muttered in a monotone, a few deep breaths, another word or two then he seems to need a long break. Was one of those classes where I had the numbers from one to fifty written down the side of my page and crossed off one each minute.

Then of course there's stats. Completely and utterly boring in every way. It's easy, but a hell of a lot of work. Spent hours today doing a stupid assignment. Managed to get 95% in a mid-semester test though, which was surprising. But my tutor for stats is the most annoying person I have ever met. Well, prehaps not quite. He's really friendly and everything, but he speaks like he should be a kindegarten teacher!

I am still asking myself what drove me to take two maths papers in one semester. Atleast after the exams I'll only have one more I ever have to take!

And what else is there? Philosophy has suddenly taken a sudden dive. Was one of these subjects before where I'd go to the lectures and come out with no notes or anything. And not because I'd fall asleep. They were such facinating topics that I would be listening and thinking too much about what the lecturers said to get around to any note taking. But this new lecture... or prehaps it's the subject - philsophy of the mind - has suddenly become a lot more boring. Thinking of giving the next two weeks a miss. I don't think that I have to write any essays or anything on this topic, so it shouldn't be so bad. I'm just worried that things might change.

And then finally economics. Probably the only subject I'm enjoying at the moment. If only it didn't start at 8am. Which is strange really, as but a few weeks ago I was wondering whether or not I should continue economics next year.

10. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Backstabbing two faced coworkers. I just found out that there are three "friends" at work who run my name down all night when I'm not there. There is even one nurse that works days that wont give me hard patients because she doesn't think I can handle them (never mind that she is a lazy piece of s**t). I geuss that I am too trusting of people and think that they are my friends when they aren't.

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Plastic Paddies are annoying :rolleyes: They start off nasty and arrogant and then change their tune when they realize that I am Irish.

Still, the job pays the bills.

12. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    errhhh...not much to say, I hate my french teacher, also, why is there a thing called 'school swimming' it sucks. Otherwise good.

the end

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

man, been getting thrashed practically every day since classes ended :sick:

time to go out again :beer:

14. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Bleh. Only one more month until my BIG BIG BIG exams... :(

15. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Sh*t! My lectures start tomorrow morning. Today is the last day of my 108-day-long holiday. I am now in campus and will go to my dormitory in a few hours. I don't want to believe this... :(

16. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Your lucky shadow, mine start as of tomorrow.

17. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I've been working on my chemistry and man, I just haven't a clue! It's been going fine, I'd guess, for a person who doesn't have much preliminary knowledge about it, but it's going reeaally Slow.

I guess I'll pass it at some point of my studies, but I'm not counting on passing it on my first year. :deadhorse:

18. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Good luck TBA! :D
    And I should probably be studying right now...

19. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Right, I'm beginning to think everyone on the planet is a lazy bleep with no work ethic except me (my wife doesn't count since she's still in immigration limbo).

One of my co-workers changed the oil on the big fryer Tuesday night, but with no empty buckets available, he used a couple of plastic cases our chicken comes in (you discard the plastic liner, wash 'em out and hand 'em back to the chicken delivery guy - re-using is better than recycling ;) ).

And since the oil was still hot, he carfully slid the cases into the cooler, but well away from the actual chicken cases, to avoid confusion. Now I can see him not taking the time to transport the oil all the way in back to the freezer; he had his hands full prepping food for our big 'Wednesday Wing Special', and cleaning the fryer after he'd done the prep cooking AND draining the dirty oil.

And of course, both myself and the evening guy were too busy to take the cases back - there were a LOTTA customers wantin' wings - good for business, I guess. :bad:

But that was Wednesday; I was off yesterday, and guess what I find when I come in at 9am this morning? those two same oil-filled cases. :grr:

And what really burns my butter, is the refusal of some of my co-workers to think - we get whole chickens in two sizes, the large are 16 in a case, and the small are 20 in a case. We'll stick 15 on the rotisserie, so starting from scratch we'll have a single 'big bird' left bouncing around in a case. And we'll always prep 8 little birds out on racks for the steam oven in the mornings. so we'll take a couple of days to get through a case of small birds.

And you're SUPPOSED to use the birds out of the already opened cases first...anyone see where I'm heading with this?

I found three cases of small birds, one with four, one with twelve (that I left Wednesday afternoon - we also put more on just after lunch for customers who wanna bring a chicken home for supper), and another with twelve, and NO full cases. For big birds, I found one full, unopened case, one with a single chicken, and another with six (?!?).

So I should have had three cases - a full one of big birds, and another opened one of seven, and a SINGLE case of little birds. Not three and three. The worrying thing is all these cases had varying best-before dates, so the principle of 'use the oldest first before it goes off' doesn't really sink into these lazy heads... :(

I have the weekend off, and I'm going to take some time to print up a few signs:

USE OLDEST FIRST

and maybe

DID YOU FINISH THE OPEN CASE ALREADY?

Again, I hate my can't-give-a-damn co-workers.

20. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Sitting almost constantly for 8 hours in a car does great damage to your ass

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.