1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

No, he'd score a home run and then brag about it. The guys at work -- save me -- all like to brag about their carnal conquests. Me? I let my actions do the talking.

Fortunately, on my last shift with him this week, it happened to be an extremely rainy day... so no cleaveage-gazing every "hot chick" from his part. Thankfully. His teenager overloaded with hormones antics are seriously chipping at my patience... mind you, I can appreciate a good-looking woman... but if I find a perticular woman beautiful, I keep it for myself. It's all about subtility.

2. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Finally got paid, I guess it's reasonable to make an employee wait for a week after he was due to get his money :rolleyes:

3. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I hate end of term bureaucracy.

What I hate even more is that some idiot or another managed to break THREE automatic burettes this semester and that the whole generation (some 500 students) ended up paying for those. It's not much, in terms of money, but it's annoying and bothersome, and involves faculty administration services, trip to Post office-In-The-Abyss, waiting in line... I do *not* have time for this right now.

How on Earth did they break them?! You pull the cap upwards, and push it down again. Turning door knobs is more complicated then that, for crying out loud!

OTOH, some girls in my group are 24 and still seemingly unable to calculate percentages... The thought of them mixing medicines for real people fills me with dread.

"Good" side: They are the living proof that human stupidity is indeed, infinite. Yay for human race.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Bad day Lore? :bad:

On the bright side, end of term bureaucracy means you'll soon be on holiday!

In other news, the problem from 2 weeks ago is being resolved and the postdoc now accepts to talk to me! I've also managed to get some work done this week (I was starting to despair of that on Monday) and to set things for next week. All seems to be going in a better direction. Let's see how long this lasts!

5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Heh, in a way. One of those "things have piled up and the wardrobe is now falling on my head" days. Apologies for ranting though. It was uncalled for.

Note to self: Don't post sleep-deprived, midway through a to do list and with lunch hours away.

To make matters more interesting, the post office apparently got robbed this morning (there were policemen on the scene, with crime scene tape and all when I got there) so I didn't get to pay for the burette. I left the money and my index to a friend, to work out the paperwork for both of us, and got on the first bus home. Yay, weekend. :)

6. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Holy poop, longest friggin week of my life! drove almost 3,000 miles & worked about 55 hours. Thats what i get for having 3 projects closing during the same week. Now i think i'm gonna go sleep for about 12 hrs! Thank goodness for sundays.

7. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    So, we've got the 30 day countdown before our old domain name expires. The web server is such a mess that the normal domain move procedure only caught about half the content. Now I have to figure out how much of the rest is dead weight, or needs to be transferred to the new domain. What fun. :bang:

8. Disciple of The Watch

Stef, that reminds me of that time at my former workplace where I was given the disk drive from a file server, who had crashed, and after recovery I was left with 1TB of data to manually check in an attempt to salvage as much as possible. Borefest. And I imagine your case is just as much fun. So I feel your pain, darlin' -- the joys of computing, hmm?

Forcing out the job side out of me in the bad mood I was in today was as fun as eating a bowl of thumbtacks spiked with pure lemon juice and a full jar of Habanero pepper sauce. Still, got a relatively low-key evening... welfare check days aren't usually this quiet -- or maybe after surviving the Armageddon of False Hopes, nothing fazes me off. Meh. One more shift to go then it's a visit to a few friends, for the first time in a long time, our days off match perfectly. All three of us have pissant jobs, so all of us *MUST* chill out. Even better when we can all get together. I expect a foggy evening/night tomorrow. Damn the weather. :shake:

9. Disciple of The Watch

According to the pencil-pushers at the government, despite the fact I am FULLY RESPONSIBLE for my OWN SURVIVAL, they've decided I AM NOT ENTITLES TO STUDENT LOANS. There is NO WAY IN THE BLUE HELL I'll be able to live on my wage without my student loans. What part "I WILL NOT BE LIVING WITH MY PARENTS" and "I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY OWN SUBSISTANCE" isn't clear?!?

This changes plans. Not in a good way either. Since I am appearantly uneligible for student loans, looks like I'm going to have to postpone college. Again.

Now excuse me while I need to destroy the most stuff I can in an attempt to cool down. And somehow, I have a feeling this will abysmally fail.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    DotW: My experience is the forms must be filled out EXACTLY correct -- and the correct forms must be completed -- to get the financial aid. Non traditional students (which you may qualify as) fill out separate forms than a traditional student does. Perhaps someone in the financial aid office can help.

11. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Sorry to hear that, DotW. Would you be able to file an appeal? I know a lot of classmates that had to do that since they were young enough that the pencil pushers had to be convinced that their parents souldn't contribute.
    By the time I went back to college I was in my 30s, so I didn't have to deal with that side of the crap.

ION, I wound up wasting my day Thursday moving offices because of a blowup elsewhere in the department. I did however, manage to score a new secondary workstation from desktop to test the Win7 RC on. My current secondary workstation won't support the virtual XP function.
    I'm still slogging my way through the aforementioned web server.

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm so glad I'm not working on my normal shift this week. The old shrew I work with is pissing me off so much; I'm thinking that spending the rest of my life in prison for murder wouldn't be such a bad thing. :toofar:

For the past two weeks, we've been really shorthanded, so I got stuck in the back since I'm one of two people who can work back there without needing a ladder. Anyway, the old bi**h I normally work with has the gall to think that I should work in the back when she's not on break...but then bust my ass in her bay when she goes on break.

There's one person per bay these days, so therefore, operators are supposed to take breaks around their work. She refused to do this. In fact, she plans her furnaces to pull while she's *on* break...and then expects me to bust my ass in 2 bays so she can do as little as possible.

If I just outright refuse to help her, she complains that I'm lazy...and because my idiot boss is never in the fab, it's my word versus hers. :bang:

Anyway, this entire week, I'm working days for my 40-hour EMT/First Responder training, and the week after I'm going to CA...so when I get back, I'm hoping that she'll piss off enough people that my boss will see that *she* is the problem, and deal with it.

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Judging by my experience, bosses rarely do.

I am bored at work from searching errors in a sea of legal text in XML code. Bleh.

14. Ziad

Media:
    Had a baaaaaaaaad argument with my boss yesterday. On my birthday too :/

I don't want to go into details, but suffice to say that it was almost entirely my fault. The "almost" is because she's convinced I had deceitful intentions and I'm convinced I did not. Naturally I know better, but she has no reason to take my word for it. She doesn't know me that well and I've been here less than a month, so I can't really blame her for it. I'm just pissed off at my own naive approach to things.

I think we've reached a stalemate now and work-wise things are going on as usual, but I'm worried our relation will suffer if she's not willing to forgive and forget. On the bright side I've got some lovely fluorescent Z-rings to show her tomorrow, in addition to some really really weird-looking bacteria (they're HUGE! Much larger than anything else I've seen), so maybe the nice data will convince her I'm serious about my work. We'll see.

15. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh FFS! I seem to be the only one of my team in my current job who isn't a complete phuk-wit concerning internet security!

If the firewall and virus-detection software says 'internet protection malfunctioning' it's not to be shrugged off as nothing!

Dagnammit:flaming::bang:

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, I got through my 40 hours of EMT training...the thing is, the class crams an entire semester’s worth of stuff in to just 40 hours, so I've got 2 weeks to study the hell out of my EMT book for a 150 question test to get fully certified. :bad:

Speaking of that class, my left arm is all f***ed up from Friday's bandaging/splinting exercises. The jackass practicing on me had my arm all splinted funky for 30 minutes, and by the time I was able to break free...it hurt like hell...well, it still does...

Worst part of the class was geriatrics and stoma patients. Gross. :nolike:

17. Ziad

Media:
    Over 10 hours at work and there's still stuff to do! :bang:

I'm going home regardless... I am so tired I can barely think.

18. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Economics and my long (or even medium) term memory do not get along. I read something and then within a couple of hours it has gone. Doing last minute revision before the big exam tomorrow morning (100% of the papers marks...) and I can distinctly remember knowing all this stuff before. But now? I can't remember anything.

I don't know why I took the subject in the first place - should have dropped it 3 years ago after I worked out how boring and dull it is. It's one of these things that maybe 10% of the subject I find absolutely fascinating, while the rest is dull and a complete waste of my time. And the silly thing is, the job I'm after only really requires basic 101 economics sort of stuff - none of this complicated things. So all I'm really doing now is getting that piece of paper to say that I have a degree in the bloody subject.

And the biggest problem is, that it is that 10% that has kept me trapped here year after year. Each course, the fun stuff always seems to be at the end, so each year I end up thinking "Oh, that last part was fun - hopefully next year will be the same!" But every year, it's back to the boring 90%...

Anyway, time to stop procrastinating and get another half hour of study before going to work. It's times like these that I really look forward to work, so I guess that's a positive spin on things.

19. Disciple of The Watch

Asking for a revision has proven absolutely pointless.

What a bitter irony. This stinking province wants us to study, but does nothing to encourage us to do so.

I suppose I should thank those A-holes. It will give me the focus I need to find a way to juggle work/college, just so I can get the hell out of this putrid province of degenerates as humanly soon as I can.

One big fat middle finger to Quebec. I'm almost tempted to start a riot next week during this province of degenerates' celebration day.

20. Ziad

Media:
    This is not a good day at work :bang:

Being a total idiot I completely messed up and set up a huge experiment before noticing my cells haven't grown. So everything I prepared gets thrown out, which means I've run out of SAM to do the experiment tomorrow. Of course trying to find out how the SAM stock is prepared from previous people's notes, protocols and lab books is completely pointless because they all copied the same damn paragraph from each other for 10 years and not a single one of them actually stopped to think if any of it made sense!

End result: I'm here trying to read lab books that are years old, written in illegible handwritings by people whose grasp of English is far from stellar and who seem to mix up mg/ml and mM and think they are the same thing :bang: :bang: :bang:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.