1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh. It's just 4 (or 5) years worth, and you get breaks and summers off :) Small potatoes in the scheme of your working lifetime, and at least you'll learn something; hopefully what it is you're interested in and good at.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    First off...I got an 85% on my Comm1 final, which put my overall grade in the class at 80%. Not a *great* grade, but perfectly acceptable with me.

I talked to my instructor tonight about Comm2, and he was talking about how most of what we're going to go over is codecs, with just a small side of the technologies used to transfer data. He did say that Comm2 is a lot harder though. :bad:

One of the cool things he told us was that he's trying to get us access to one of the few class A radio stations that transmits at 50,000 Watts so we can check out the transmitter. The only problem is, the radio station is located downtown, and the tower is on top of a mountain.... :bad:

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Why do TA's try to show off by making the hardest tests and classes? I hate them. I hate them all :p

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Bah, I just hate it when I am supposed to simply check a colleague's work for correctness - and in the process I end up doing it entirely, not only because it screws up my planning. We use the four-eye-principle to eliminate errors. Said colleague is a newbie still, and he reliably overlooks the obvious to jump on the unimportant - which means the corrector then has to do the bulk of the work. Annoying, it isn't as if I don't have work myself.

So I had a few words with him about this today, a calm 'Well, you screwed up completely, you absolutely should have seen this - it is blatantly obvious - get your act together. Tea with that?' type of conversation. I hate those, too.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Hey! I was a very nice TA back in the days! All I ever wanted was to make sure my students were as ready as possible for the final exam (since I had zero control over that particular exam). All my students ever wanted was to waste time and then complain when they didn't do well :(

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

The problem seems to be when the TA actually teaches the class (final exam and all)... no professor. I loved my geology TA, she rocked, but now I have one for a history class, on her own, her first class, and it is misery.

7. Ragusa

Media:
    one more instance of 'you should absolutely have seen it'

[​IMG] After our Turkish boy from yesterday, one of our Turkish girls who was tasked to do this: Compare whether a given XML text is as in a given PDF, and if not, please correct using the PDF as your reference. Report after two hours was: I corrected one error, as for the rest, they are wrong but there is no reference to be found in the PDF.

So I went on to take screen shots of that to report, only to find that (a) in fact the points in question were accurately displaying what was in the PDF and (b) that there was no error, and thus nothing to correct. So whatever she did to the data, there was no reason for it. After that, I then had to proceed to check whether that's just a freak accident or true for all instances (of course, it was the latter). So I ended up re-doing the work, which took me about one hour.

What is so difficult about saying: 'Great, there is no error! Everything is fine!'? File name and indeed, the XML text itself, all give clear pointers where to look in the PDF ... You cannot miss it. I wonder whether she even looked into the PDF ... geez :rolleyes:

Bah, and I have migraine.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Sweet....my 'Environmental Issues' class looks like it is going to be easier than I thought as 95% of the students in class also have their capstone class this quarter (think of the capstone as a PhD's dissertation...you have 11 weeks, and a budget of $300 to do *one hell* of a big project pertaining to whatever your major is...oh yeah, you also have to write a novel on the project. :p ) Anyway, since the capstone takes up 110% of a student's time, this class has been adjusted for minimal effort... In-class participation is 55% of the final grade! :D

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, looks like finishing at 6AM depends on whenever my boss's there or not. Not to mention the brutal reception I got when I called the boss to ask whenever I was finishing at 6 or not. Six months of self-control therapy have just been smashed in a matter of seconds, now excuse me while I go destroy some crap to try and calm the f*** down.

Find another golden boy to do your ****ing 9.5 hours shift of pure, unadultered BOREDOM, ********, not to mention I have to suffer THREE ****ING RUSHES when I'm at my most F'N tired.

10. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

DotW, what do you do again? 9.5 hour shift sounds rough...

11. Disciple of The Watch

Night shift guy in a ****ing convenience store. Those shifts are a [censored] pain because not only do I have to deal with THREE rushes of people, I also have to deal with the BOREDOM!

The [censored] boss works tomorrow. I hope for his ass that he lets me leave at 6AM, otherwise things are gonna get ugly. Being an ass to me just because I'm leaving soon is a big mistake, and he's gona have to pay the piper... this is a game of two, and I have all the credentials I need.

12. Ragusa

Media:
    A colleague of mine today just couldn't decide which path to take, between three options. I offered him as a solution Ragusa's Decision Matrix™ ...
    Code:
    1,5	path A
    3,6	path B
    2,4	path C
    He asked how that would help with his decision. Easy, I said. You now take d6 and roll dice ... :D

13. Disciple of The Watch

Well, night shift hell is officially over. I gave my two weeks notice, and my now former boss tells me he needs me Sunday night for a last shift, then I am free to leave if it's OK for my successor to start next week.

Now I REALLY am going to throw a F'N party. Hell, I'm already flying sky high.

14. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Ragusa, your decision matrix is already being used by the top management of many large corporations, not to mention many national assemblies.

Or so it might seem. :D

15. Disciple of The Watch

After cooling down and rethinking things, I decided to take the smart route by asking a transfer to another store. I can get day/evening shifts, and don't need to go through the hassle of finding something else. Normally I could care less, but I can ask for a transfer... so why not.

Besides, my successor has already been found, so he's taking over my hours this week. I'm basically inactive until I get word of where I'll be heading next.

16. Disciple of The Watch

HAHAHA! So I called my boss today to hear about the status of my transfert... nothing so far, but he made a proposition -- I stay right where I am, I'll work on days when we get supplies coming in, which means I can freely not give a [censored] about the damned hypocritic morons since I'm paid to fill up the store, not serve the said hypocritic morons! I take a shift cut BIG TIME, but as a tradeoff, I'll work in other stores that need some help. And come summer, I'll have a HUGE bargaining chip, so I can pretty much pick the shifts I want and if anyone below me has a problem with that, they can stick it because I have no qualms about pulling off some workplace politics and using my (as of now) 7 months working there as an equalizer.

Works for me. I can also use the spare time to do computer jobs -- I found this to be a non-neglectable source of income.

17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I'm in a general credit World Civilizations class (1500-present) and just THIS semester, I'm on my THIRD professor. That's absolutely positively unheard of here. The first had to take a medical (I think) leave of absence and she was awesome and an easy grader. The second was a terrible professor and absolutely boring... Then today I come to class and there's an old asian guy teaching. What the heck!

I might as well add that I like the newest guy :p

18. Ragusa

Media:
    Uh. I yesterday received an e-mail from a colleague that read: "HELP! I MESSED UP MY PROGRAM SETTINGS!".

Indeed. The only problem with that person and her computer is that she, while otherwise thoroughly competent, is afraid of it, and misplaces files in hysterical drag-and-drop operations. Considering that she's at it for about two years on this particular machine, the whole comp is a bloody mess in dire need of a format/reinstall. But I digress - I fixed her problem, which took me about three minutes - deleting the fubar-ed folders and copying standard ones back. It was nothing serious really. She then asked for a 'cookbook' recipe on how to fix it herself (which is a good sign), per e-mail. Which she received. It started with:

1. Stay calm. Worse things have happened.
    2. ...
    That's key, really ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  19. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

ahh **** out! just as i am completing my 7 reports in physics today i realize that i have earlier missed 2 reports that are due on monday!!!

20. Ragusa

Media:
    Gah :rolleyes: my comp takes ages to search and replace text strings in some 40.000 files. But there's a remedy.

I have gotten permission to work from home tomorrow and to work the files at my home comp. There I will utilise my computer's advantages over ye olde box here at work to the fullest - Quad-Core vs. Pentium D - eight times the RAM - four times the disc speed = much, much less waiting. Plus, I don't have to take the (unpaid for) ride to work. Not too bad.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.