1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hah! I out-sarcasmed my boss today!

In Islam, to the end of Ramadan there is sugar fest, or rather Seker Bayrami on Turkish. There it is tradition to bring and give sugary sweets to friends, and apparently to colleagues. So we had small heaps of colourful candy standing around in every room.

I ate candy when my boss came by and remarked something about healthy eating habits. I held blue-yellow candy at the moment, and asked with an earnest look how something so colourful could possibly be not healthy. She first paused, then giggled and then fled.

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Ok - just handed in an essay. I think it's pretty much guranteed A+, given how much time I spent on it.

However, I have to start the second essay now, due in five days. All the essential books are acquired by other people. Getting pretty screwed. Maybe I should change topics.

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I remembered earlier this week why I HATE working on the First day of the month. Everyone, their grandmothers, their dogs, it's fleas come to the [CENSORED] store. Just this Thursday morning, from 6:30AM to 8:00, I had ZERO time to sit down and have a little break. Like I said, everyone, their grandmothers, their dogs, it's fleas. And when it gets about 6:30, an hour and a half before the end of my shift, it goes without saying that I am [CENSORED] tired, and many times in this [CENSORED] morning, some of my customers were a bunch of ASSES, and I stopped counting the number of times I wanted to jump over the counter and STUN their ASSES!

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I hate the morons in my department...all of them. They can all eat s*** and die for all I care. I bust my ass doing my job, and I get chewed out for sitting down for 5 minutes to rest my feet?!?!?

There aren't any job openings ATM, but I've emailed my boss and told her I want to be transfered to a different department A.S.A.P. Those f***ers can survive without me...and if they can't, maybe they'll regret treating a coworker that busts his ass on a regular basis like sh**. -_- :rolling:

5. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    When I'm working on last minute essays, the song "The Final Countdown" always ring out in my head.

IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! (do do do do, do-do do do do...)

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Haha, good memories with that song and school... Which is to say it was one of the songs we played at graduation.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    YES! I finished the major chapter of my thesis last night! :banana:

Now for the remaining ones...

I will definitely be playing this song as I scramble to finish writing my thesis, minutes before the submission deadline :shake:

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Draft 1: File broken.
    Draft 2: File corrupt.
    Essay: Due 5pm.
    Prospect: Grim.
    DM: Insane.

9. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Ziad: Congratulations on the finished chapter. :)

DM: Perfectly normal essay feelings, there. :p

It seems that the mailing list at my faculty should have come with a "Scrolling Up For Dummies" guide for some of the users. People keep asking the same questions, over and over, even when those questions have been answered days, even weeks before. The ratio of useless to useful e-mails: 10:1.

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Here's my problem:

High school was perfect for me to get by just on being smarter and knowing more than most students, this only encouraged major laziness by me.

College, has not been as well because just knowing stuff doesn't get you as far. You have to work outside of class and that kills me. I try to work hard, but it just isn't in my system anymore, so I don't work hard enough. Consequently my college grades aren't as good as expected thus far, though I don't think they can go lower.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Woo! I made 'honors' again this past quarter! Apparently the certificate had been sitting my student folder for the past 4 weeks....which shows how often I look in there. :p

Normally, I couldn't care less about honors or highest honors (something I will never get), but those certificates look good in my portfolio. :D :rolling:

12. Ziad

Media:
    Chicken, this is a common problem with moving from school to uni, then from undergraduate to postgraduate. School's easy, you're the best, then when you get to university you realise that everyone else was the best in their school. You'll pick up efficient studying soon, I'm sure.

Then you move to a PhD and realise that everyone was the best in their undergraduate studies and the pain really starts :roll:

13. Ragusa

Media:
    A tale of high drama:

I just witnessed a colleague trying to fend off the great peril of a wasp in the office. The vile creature was quietly circling under the ceiling around the neon tubes, clearly with nefarious intent. Bold action was called for! To deal with this monster, she heroically climbed on an office chair, and then on the desk and went to the attack, trying to kill it with a writing pad. She stumbled (long live high heels!), fell off the desk, landed on the chair which dampened her fall, and broke a coffee mug. Except for that, no harm done. And inevitably, the wasp escaped unharmed through the open window.

Kitrax likes this.
  14. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Glad your colleague wasn't badly injured in the battle, Rags! :grin: :shake:

15. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

It would appear as if that were the case, but then again I go to... (dun dun dun) WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY. Filled with more idiots than you can imagine, in fact I am quite certain my high school class was much more intelligent as a whole than this place (at least the first and second year students).

Really it's kind of irritating who stunningly not smart people can be at a university, which I don't mind... unless I have to work with them in labs.

Four more years... then maybe two more. Screw that PhD stuff :D

16. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Earlier this morning (it's 4PM now, into my weekend and after a few hours of sleep), I had a customer who pissed me off so bad she made me reach a new level of anger. She pissed me off so bad I wanted to flay her alive and hang her by the innards on the roof of the store.

Later, my boss watched the replay of the security tape (he often does it), and obviously saw me fuming not to jump the counter and skin the [censored] alive. He asked me about it, and when I told him I wanted to flay her alive and hang her to the roof with her own innards, his reply was absolutely priceless "Nah, bad idea, too messy". That made my day.

17. Ziad

Media:
    Seriously, chasing a wasp by jumping from table to chair in high heels is not the smartest thing to do. RIP, coffee cup :lol:

I thought Washington State Uni was quite good. At least it ranked rather well in those idiotic "best uni eva!!!111" ratings that were very popular a decade or so ago (and probably still are)

PhD is much, much, MUCH better than undergraduate studies. They're two completely different worlds. Though if you do decide to get one do it in Europe instead - it's about half the length of a US PhD for some reason. If you do go for any kind of postgraduate studies, do not do your next degree in the same university where you did your undergraduate - always go elsewhere for the next step.

18. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Somehow I missed most of the wasp tale... I will say that I am known to flee and not further angrify them. They demand respect.

With WSU, it pretty much has a well established tradition as the stupid half-brother of the University of Washington. It has very good programs, and the research, professors, and so on are all top notch, just the undergraduates are not.

I would consider going abroad for some post graduate education except for the fact that I don't like the unknown... Plus, I'd miss all the people back home. When (if) the time comes to choose where to go to grad school, I will probably factor in (far too significantly) personal relationships, rather than what is in my best interests.

19. Ragusa

Media:
    Ziad,
    let me emphasise that it DID look good :) Men ought to appreciate what women get themselves through for style, even if it doesn't exactly comply with safety-in-the-workplace standards.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  20. Ziad

Media:
    I like that one. I think I'll try to convince the women in our lab to go for style instead of health & safety. I think the H&S people will throw a fit next time they come in for an inspection :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.