1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Work venting: It seems like had no time off...oh wait, I didn't. While I wasn't at work, I was still running around like a chicken with its head cut off. To make things worse, it's a long week, and I *really* don't want to go! :wail:

School venting: It's school...'nuff said. While they aren't trying to screw me over this quarter, and my classes are ok, it still sucks. :bad: :rolling:

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Okay, strangest little thing just happened.

"Dear Michael,

Unfortunately we have had to withdraw ENGL220 for 2009, as a result of
    the staffing reductions in English caused by recent restructuring. This
    has been recently forced on us, too late for us to be able to adjust our
    handbooks. "

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or disappointed.

More of the latter, really.

Bummer.

3. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Sorry to hear that, DM. It sounded like a fun course. Bad news, indeed. :bad:

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmm, fourth work day is over, and I'm at 39 hours already, and I'll have to work tomorrow too.... :bad: and probably on Saturday as well :bad: Nice to be in demand, but when do I live? :skeptic:

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've got to go to a stupid ESL conference tonight. No choice in the matter. It's gonna suck big hairy ones. The dinner they are feeding us had better be tasty!

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Yay, 21:30 - and I'm still at work :rolleyes:

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

This is ridiculous, I applied for a job, got an interview, and got hired. That's all good, but then they tell me that they don't have any shifts available for me.

Me- "So, I'm not hired then?"
    Employer- "No, you got the job, there's just no work."

They said to check back in every couple weeks to see if there's a shift opening that works for me. The part that irks me is that they knew my available hours the whole time :bang:

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Stupid [CENSORED] customers... some of them are decent, the rest of them I feel like BEATING to a [CENSORED] bloody pulp. The recent addition of another round of green dye and spiking my hair makes them more civil.... and don't get me started on those [CENSORED] "mystery customers". :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

9. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

STRESSED! Way too much stuff due at the same time.

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Okay - can anyone, in ALL HONESTY, tell me what sort of jobs a History degree can land?

(and please avoid saying "museum curator" or "historian".)

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    An evil dictator.

Well someone has to repeat History! One with a degree might even do a better job.

Edit:
    But more seriously (I thought this was RB so I just posted something) what about a writer? I'm sure that there is a big market for books on the interesting views of history. Just don't write a book on WWII... or Historicism, but if you must you can write a book on how silly historicism is.

12. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    A teacher. Buddy of mine just graduated from history and got a position as a teacher. Depending on the country you live in, it's not a bad gig. Not a great one, but not bad at all.

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Yeah, I'm a history major right now and that is the big problem... pretty much no jobs. Right now though I am headed in the way of teaching certification, so that appears to be my future.

14. Ragusa

Media:
    For the files:
    My comp at work is crap. Real crap. Some seriously underpowered Dell crap to be precise. I'm supposed to handle larg-ish XML files in the hog-ish Arbortext Editor on Windows XP with a Pentium D and 512 MB RAM. :thumb: But what's worse is the CD drive: It really starts to 'shine' when I insert a CD: The drive then spins up like a turbine into a noisy frenzy to then come to a standstill 60 seconds or so later. Phee! That was must have been exhausting judging by the sound of it! Now why is it that that file doesn't load? :rolleyes:

:mad: I am not amused! :mad:

15. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    You could write a historical fiction book and make millions. One that's historically accurate, for a change!

16. FeetOfClay Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This is not really a rant but what type of science does astronomy fall under? Physics, chemistry of biology? Or is it a science by itself?

17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I think that it may be a science by itself... I say this because my university offers physical science courses of physics, geology, chemistry, and astronomy (for 100 level). If not I'd say chemistry/physics.

18. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I'd call it a science in its own right. If I had to pick I'd say that it leans most to physics, since technically it is studying matter and origins of it.

There are scientific disciplines, which merge areas of it with say chemistry, or biology, but I wouldn't call it a part of any of them.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'd say Astronomy is a science in its own right. An acquaintance of mine has a degree in astronomy and apparently the all-physics branch of astronomy gets referred to as Astrophysics, while Astronomy is meant to encompass all aspects (physics, geology, chemistry and so on)

In other news, I've just finished writing a letter to a funding body explaining to them why I did not go to the conference they paid me for and why I can't give them their money back. I was running a draft by my boss earlier today and he couldn't stop himself laughing at the ludicrous listing of disasters, one after the other. Now that enough time has passed for me to be more zen about it I admit it's such an unlikely set of coincidences that it is indeed funny.

It's not really venting, as I've already got over the disappointment and the anger ("WHY ME?!"), but it feels good to have this off my hands. Now if they do push with wanting their money back I'll need to think of a plan B, and quick...

20. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Had a test at 10:35 today... Alarm clock went of at 9:00, so I hit the sleep button. The sleep button didn't work properly so I woke up at 10:20 (!). Had to get ready and go to to a class 10 minutes away for the test, which meant I didn't have time to pick up a test booklet... Then the test was far easier than expected, so I suppose I am satisfied.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.