1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Since I've done quite a bit of this in the Random Babbling Post I thought that I'd start a whole post about it.

Things included here are the 'why I hate my job' -type of subjects and all the problems you want to vent about concerning your work.

What I really hate about my work is that I have to encounter people have huge misconceptions about what I actually do and therefore have a bug up their *** when I contact them. Luckily however not everyone's like this, but the one's who are, oh boy do they motivate my work.

Other thing is that it seems that especially our branch is suffering from ad-hoc management, at least when flow of information's concerned. We're on a need to know basis, that is, we don't need to know, until something hits our faces, and we really need to know. Some mistakes could be avoided if we knew some things beforehand, but nooo, of course that won't do!

That's it for now...

[ July 20, 2006, 15:57: Message edited by: Iku-Turso ]

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

What I don't like is that at some point, it gets to a point where I don't have the motor skills to do some of the things that would be asked of me. Further, sometimes there's such a list of stuff to do that I forget half of it while I'm doing the first half of it. And lately, the heat limits the time that it's humane to work out there...

3. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I hate talking finnish with the customers :p

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

can we include schoolwork too? I hate thesis, i may fail this term. stupid thesis panel, making us run around to get data and then saying it wasn't what they were looking for. now the paper is due august 4 and the defense is on the 8th and the results of our regression are insignificant :mad: :cry:

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I hate talking to people that pretend to not understand my accent :rolleyes: for example I had a lady from Boston that couldn't understand anything I said ending with 'ow', or when I said the number '8'. People from Brazil, Japan, UAE and Greece had not had any problems so far. To make things worse, the lady had a cheek to tell me she was Irish :rolleyes:

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Good idea, headline now modified to allow the pessimism concerning school to be poured in here as well!

@Elvenblade: Mitä vikaa suomen puhumisessa on, hä? But yes, I'd rather talk english at my work as well...at least the few times I get to talk english light up my day. Too bad that's not to be expected for the rest of the time I'm spending here.

7. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

At work, I always did my best. I hate people telling me that I'm doing too much work, that they look bad because of me. I don't really care if they are a bunch of lazy people, I just want to do my job, that's all. I don't understand why people keep bothering about everyone else's job.

8. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I hate when my co-workers fill the PCs and Macs with downloaded crap, and then complain when they crash (yes, Macs do crash too). I hate even more when, after I spend two days fixing the computers, they complain that said crap is no longer there.

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Currently it seems that my supervisor at my work has a little crush on me and it's damn bothersome and embarrassing. :doh:

She insists on wasting time with annoying horseplay and well, it is kind of flattering, but I don't need any more of my time wasted at my work and she really isn't my type.

Oh, what a world!

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Ironically, the receptionist at my job becomes all choked up and shy as hell every time I pass by her office or drop by her office for bureaucratic issues.

She's beautiful, but she's definitively not my type. I find her kind of cute when she's all shy and choked up, however. :D

Appearantly we still attract woman, Iku.

Yeah, since Intel crammed their ****ing processors inside Macs.

11. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

@DotW: Not only the ones with the Intel processor. I have several apple computers at my disposal at work, one with a G3 processor, and the rest with G4 and G5 processors, and they have all crashed at least once. Mostly they crash due to temperature issues, especially the eMacs.

I am also not particularly fond of the need for weekly meetings that serve no purpose other than having a meeting. I'd rather call a meeting when there's an issue, or something that needs our attention, but my boss seems to think that having frequent meetings 'boosts morale' and 'makes the team work better'. My morale would be over the top and I'd work better if he paid me more. :rolleyes:

[ July 20, 2006, 22:10: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I hate it when people can't reconcile fixed assets properly. How hard can it be? You buy some, dispose of some, and depreciate some. That's it, but the numbers always end up being wrong.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really like accounting. I'd like it even more if it didn't involve numbers so much, or have so many rules, or required things to balance. "Close enough!" is my battle cry.

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Family Business. It means that even off the clock you still see the boss(es). And I catch hell when dad gets teh wrong word. I then have to guess what he means. I'm a lousy guesser...

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31

My father's handwriting. Family business. He'd send me a memo and I simply can't read it. Does it say "CDS update stupid client" or "See quickly important client"? *sigh*

16. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I hate studying the lectures that aren't related to my future job. Why does an engineering student have to write 10 page long essays?

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

LMAO :D close enough kind of defeats the purpose of accounting doesn't it? ;) :p

in other news, i have a test about money and banking tomorrow at 8am, gotta study..

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What we don't know about money and banking isn't worth knowing! The answer is debit (or credit).

19. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Working freelance means you've got yourself to blame if the boss is a (/#)=(¤%/# or if sales takes in too many jobs. ;) :p

Of course I could return to my old employer :shake: if they put more emphasis on their core product and less on procedures and compliance :flaming: .

20. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Work? What is that?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.