1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random music thread

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Jack Funk, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Oh yes, nice and mellow

Boards of Canada - Hey Saturday Sun

Boards of Canada - Satellite Anthem Icarus

Boards of Canada - Peacock tail

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Pride And Joy - SRV & Albert King

4. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

"Send me an angel" by Blackfoot

"Willkommen" by Ougenweide

"Heavy metal mania" by Holocaust

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Iron Maiden - Run To The Hills

Uriah Heep - Wizard [An absolute classic!]

...One more by Heep - July Morning.

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I recently rediscovered Cock Robin, an American band from the mid-1980s For some reason they never made it big in the States but they were well known here in Europe.

The Biggest Fool of All

El Norte

Just Around the Corner

When your Heart is Weak

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Chris Standring - Bossa Blue

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I just TOTALLY rocked out to this song right now, sitting in my home office, and needing a quick break from work. Maiden was among my favorite metal bands in Jr. High/High School, and this song was a welcomed diversion. Thanks. I was even singing along with Bruce (yes, I can hit all of his high notes).

He sounded a little out of breath at first, but he got it together a little ways into the song. Amazing how well this band still plays after the ungodly number of years they've been at it.

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    You are welcome, Mar. ;) And that's completely awesome that you can hit those highs. :)

10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :)

Not trying to claim that I could have been next Bruce Dickenson or Steve Perry, by the way. These guys are gods, and just because I can hit all their notes, it doesn't mean that I remotely compare to them.

I was always more of a natural baritone/2nd tenor throughout high school. It wasn't until I was in college that I discovered my first tenor upper register. I was jamming late one night, and this high note just came out of me, on accident, really. I then became obsessed with learning to control it and use it, both for rock singing and more traditional choral/ensemble single.

I've come a long way as a first tenor, but I still think my sweet spot is in the high baritone, low tenor range. Guitar was always my main instrument, actually, but singing became a very serious pursuit for me also, somewhere along the way. I probably could have been fairly successful as a professional musician, but 2/3 way through completing my music major, I made a "practical" decision to switch to computer science. And that has led to the overworked, so-not-like-a-rockstar forumite you see before you today. :coffee2:

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Marceror, are you also known as Willliam Hung?

:p

12. Marceror

Media:
    No, I'm just plain unknown. At least our friend William got out there a made a name for himself. Sure, most people are laughing at him rather than with him, but he's out there... doing whatever it is he does....

13. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

"Indians" by Anthrax

"Demolition boys" by Girlschool

"Start the fire" by Metal Church

14. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sweet! Why have I never heard of him before? I'm a sucker for 70's grooves, smooth jazz and bossa. I should get myself some albums of this guy!

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    MoN - Chris is great. His entire new recording [Blue Bolero] is just as sweet:

He has obviously been influenced by some of Pat Metheny's stuff from the 1980s, which is a departure from some of the acid jazz he [Chris] has been playing in the last few years. This is one of my favorites by Standring:

Soul Express is another one of those recordings with one good track after another, IMHO.

Master of Nuhn likes this.
  16. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    That sure cured my hangover! :)

I think Thievery Corporation is still my favourite "band", but this guy is gonna end up high on my list, I guess. Was there a sitar in Fast train to Everywhere? I just listened to Standring's Catwalk. :)

And now I'm propelled into a Bossa version of Autumn Leaves. This is a good start of the year.

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    A brief look at The Crossroads Guitar Festival [Eric Clapton]

From 2007: Steve Winwwod and Eric Clapton w/Buddy Guy - Had To Cry Today

A Day In The Life - Jeff Beck and the fabulous Tal Wilkenfeld. Vinnie Colaiuta on drums. One of the best drummers alive, IMHO.

MoN may like this one. :) Live From Abbey Road:

River - Herbie Hancock, Corrine Bailey Rae, Wayne Shorter, Tal Wilkenfeld and Vinnie Colaiuta

18. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    You are right. Again. Damnit! Have you ever been wrong about my musical interests?! :)
    The song is a bit odd, btw. In a good way, I should add. The melody of the vocals is a bit too "nowadays" than I would normally like (though I could imagine Jeff Buckley singing like this), but with the jazzy music combined it's very alluring.

Talking about alluring... here's something that when I'd hear it walking past a building, it would drag me right in. (something is wrong with the grammar of this line, I suppose...)

On the other hand, these would drag me in just as well:

Chandos the Red likes this.
  19. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    This is for the Belgians on this forum. How come we never heard of Jasper Steverlinck again? He was supposed to be "the next Jeff Buckley". Though that might be a bit too much honor and to big an expectation, the man can sing for sure!

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.