1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Post (or Random Metal Babbling) #2

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Undertaker, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

If by style of Rhapsody, you mean plain old power metal, then there are plenty of bands. If you mean the epic orchestral stuff, then there is really only Luca's solo stuff that compares, at least that I have found.

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Is Rhapsody similar to Children of Bodom?

3. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If you like Bodom, listen to some Norther, they sound just like them. Some other bands like Killswitch would be Lamb of God, and shadows fall

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Children of Bodom, Wintersun, Omnium Gatherum, Kalmah and Imperanon all sound very similar. The first two are my favourite Finnish bands.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yes but what do you think of "Are you dead yet"

6. Warrior of the World

I'm not a Children of Bodom fan. I like Hatebreeder, but that's about it. Their new album is, according to one of my friends, designed to sell to their American audience, to which the American he was talking to agreed with. Clearly, that's where the money is now.

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Are there any good Scottish bands in the folk/metal genre WotW? After all everyone likes traditional Scottish music.

8. Warrior of the World

Well, there's us. One of our songs:

Ancient Land

Pretty much all the Scottish metal bands I know of involve friends of mine. Most of them involve one friend in particular, the chap doing keys and vocals on that song. The genre is pretty unexposed here, it's rare we actually get any bands to play, though another of my friends has managed to organise a festival in our hometown.

9. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Rhapsody is more like overblown symphonic pompose powermetal. With a eunuch-sounding singer. Not my kind of thing.

I don't like Bodom either. It sounds to me like the sole purpose of the songs is just to display the technical ability of the players - which is to say, it's interesting for a few minutes, from a curious musician's point of view, but gets old really quick.

This is not to say technical skill is a bad thing, far from it. A good technique is needed to be able to play what you want. But that's all it is. A tool to accomplish something. Not an accomplishment in itself. I think too many bands these days, instead of actually writing good songs, just compete at how fast they can play scales up and down. Like it's not even music anymore, but gymnastics.

10. Warrior of the World

Which is why I don't really like DragonForce any more. That's essentially all that their last two albums have been, to the point where most songs are pretty much indeterminable from the others in lots of places.

*EDIT* A band I have been listening for a while that Cúchulainn might like is Tuatha de Danann, a Brazilian band with a Celtic folk theme. Very good, in my opinion.

[ February 21, 2006, 17:28: Message edited by: Warrior of the World ]

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Thats a pretty good song. Your band should try to get onto one of the metal festivals in Belfast that are coming up.

Its only a short ferry ride away.

[ February 22, 2006, 09:30: Message edited by: Cúchulainn ]

12. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG]
    LMAO... Exactly ;)

As a musician I can only agree.
    I know so many musicians that should rather have been in the olympics :grin:
    It's like the *image* is more important than the music they play :nono:
    I mean, does it really matter that much what clothes you wear on the stage ?
    (A lot of metal bands wear real ugly clothes IMO, just because of their *image*)

/me close eyes and listen to Black Sabbath

[ February 22, 2006, 10:02: Message edited by: Lynadin ]

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I don't listen to anything because of the way the artist looks - no, not even Enriqure. I wouldn't listen to him so much if I didn'tt genuinely like his music and not just his lickabili... err, looks. yeah,. looks.

14. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

And his mole. DOn't forget the mole.

15. Saber

If you want ridiculousness in dress, look at GWAR. They come out on stage looking something like WoW's avatar, except with man thongs and guitars...

And they have awful music anyways.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Not for me. I have absolutely no idea what most of the musicians I listen to even look like as I have never seen most of them. On my iPod at the moment, I have people like James Blunt, Rooster, Green Day, KT Tunstall, and Hayley Westenra. Of those, Hayley Westenra is the only one I think I could identify if I saw them. I never watch music TV and don't buy CDs so I never get any opportunity to find out what they look like.

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I don't think it's too bad actually. I don't mind a band changing it's sound as long as they enjoy playing it. Believe me you can get really sick of playing your own stuff after a while.

18. Saber

The problem with "Are You Dead Yet" is that it sounds exactly like the rest of their stuff. It was nothing unique, and after Bodom for many hours, "Are You Dead Yet" is boring.

19. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG]
    A profesional musician is more concerned about his *image* and what he looks like, than what kind of music he plays -
    That was my point, and to me that means, there must be something absolutely wrong :flaming:

20. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Daie, he got rid of the mole in 2004 for medical reasobns.

Imo, it is admirable that he didn't get rid of it the moment he started making money; shows that he was not particularlty interested in looking pretty :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.