1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Post (or Random Metal Babbling) #2

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Undertaker, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

To keep it quick: Lyrics are, in a lot of metal cases, the determining factor of whether they have sold out. If the lyrics are generally the same as they were when they started (not the same, but give the same message), and the message isn't about money, sex, drugs, and killing yourself, then it is safe(r) to assume they might be in it for the love of music and what they preach.

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    So what should the lyrics be about, Saber?

3. Saber

I'm not saying what they should be about, more about what they shouldn't... the above mentioned are all stereotypical lyrics: rap 'sings' about money, sex, drugs, and getting shot in the face (while getting paid, mind you), hiphop 'sings' about love and "he left me, boohoo", and stereotypical metal is about killing yourself and death and hate (although, its not).

I prefer hardcore, which is about (to nearly quote a hardcore band): friendship, honesty, and searching for justice. Its also about perserverance (sp). I can give you a couple bands to look up, if you wish...

But, because they are artists, go ahead and write what you want... I just won't be listening to sellout crap.

4. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I wouldn't be so quick to ditch songs by what general subject they're about...it's perfectly possible to write interesting, touching or funny songs about death, hate or suicide as well as sex, drugs and getting shot in the face. It's not so much the subject but the way it is handled. If it's written in an unimaginative, generic, clichéd way, you can muck up any subject no matter how much potential it might have. Likewise even a really done to death subject can be turned into a great lyric with an insightful, original approach.

Examples of good (imo) lyrics about these subjects:
    Suicide - Suicide Note Pt.II by Pantera
    Hate - Disciple by Slayer
    Sex - Mechanix by Megadeth (it's funny!)
    Drugs - Junkhead by Alice In Chains
    Getting shot - Hallowed Point by Slayer is about gun violence in general
    Death - erm...that's a bit broad a subject...

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My point is that they suck!

They don't play any instruments, they don't write their own lyrics, and thir voices are altered to make them sound better. They're bassicly a glam rock band without any tallent. :toofar:

Give me a Megadeth concert over any of that pop trash any day! :thumb:

Take 'Holy Wars...The Punishment Due' from Megadeth for example Ara, it's a very powerfull song with real meaning. I suggest you read its lyrics :rolling:

[ April 03, 2006, 13:13: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

6. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Holy Wars...The Punishment Due is based on the Marvel comic, The Punisher. :shake:

No, really, it is. It just goes to show that you can write a great lyric about...erm... *unexpected* subjects. It's all about handling the subject matter in an insightful way. Holy Wars is a wonderful song about the impact wars and conflicts have on an individual.

7. Saber

Alright, I'll agree, if you write about a subject well, it is fine. But the artists that usually write about those subjects do it in cliched ways, with cliche lyrics (9/10s of the time, I can't tell the difference).

Or maybe thats just hiphop/rap. Either way, it sucks. Blech. Give me pure tough guy hardcore anyday. :p

8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm starting to like some symphonic rock, or whatever it be called.
    Aeryon's "The Human Equation" and "Into the electric castle" are on my to-buy list.
    Don't worry: lounge, jazz and triphop are still my favorites.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, Elton John doesn't write his own lyrics. Neither did Elvis. Joe Cocker does neither. Robert Plant didn't play any instruments. Hayley Westenra does neither.

There's no reason why not playing an instrument and not writing your own lyrics makes you trash that shouldn't be listened to.

And by the same token, plenty of pop stars do both those things but you'd still call them poppy trash. Ashlee Simpson writes some of her own lyrics but I bet you don't think she's any good.

I think a blanket bagging of pop music is as harsh a generalisation as a blanket dig at all metal being loud noise, or all rap being just someone talking, or all classical music being just silly tunes with no words.

10. Saber

Grr, she makes me angry... Her group is called Ashlee Simpson, yet the band (who gets no credit) isn't part of the name. At least the band makes the music (I don't like it, but thats because of the sound).

But I do understand your point HB... of course, I've heard enough Rap/Hiphop to understand that they have no souls.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I do agree that most pop is rubbish, but it's not simply because they don't play instruments or write their own lyrics. It's simply that I don't like listening to most of it, although I certainly did enjoy it in the 1980s, which is why I still like 1980s pop music now, even though I can't tangibly explain why Wham! and Debbie Gibson and The Bangles and Duran Duran are any better than Girls Aloud, Kelly Clarkson, Sugababes, or Britney Spears.

12. Kitrax

Media:
    Actually, I think all those artists suck too! I personally hate Elvis. The only thing he's the king of is hair gel... :p :rolling:

13. Harbourboy

Oh well, at least you're consistent in your views.

So, to get the Kitrax seal of approval, you have to write your own stuff and play at least one instrument other than your voice. No covers, no use of professional writers, and no vocalists need apply.

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    The problem i have with metal lyrics is that they are so bloody incomprehensible that I need to read them to make anything out of them - I prefer clear vocals over growling.

15. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I'm in an Ildjarn week. If you know your BM, Undertaker, you should know them.

16. Kitrax

Media:
    Hehehe! :evil:

Ok, first off, yes: You must write your own lyrics and music. One cover per album or less would be acceptable, so long as the said cover doesn't butcher the original.

And vocalist can only be used as a back-up singer.

Simple as that...but I *do* make a few small exceptions. Josh Groban is pretty good for a singer. :rolleyes: :rolling:

17. Harbourboy

So any band with a lead vocalist is out? I wonder which bands that rules out then. I'm sure someone could come up with a list. Led Zeppelin?

18. Kitrax

Media:
    No no no! You're getting things blown out of proportion.

Let me break it down for you Harby:

99.9% of standalone vocalists suck.

A "real" band (one that has at least 2 guitars or more, a drum set, and whatever other instruments they need (and they write their own music and lyrics)) that has a lead singer that only sings is ok...unless they are an Emo band. :p

Hmmm...maybe it's best if we just agree to disagree... :rolleyes: :rolling:

19. Saber

Heh, what about with Throwdown? They were alright, and then their guitarist and singer switched, and ta-dah! Everything worked liked magic. Brutal, kickass magic.

20. Harbourboy

What is this Elmo thing you keep going on about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.