1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Babbling Post #4

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I am (surprisingly) getting into some different music from my normal metallic fare: Jason Mraz, Tristan Prettyman, Bon Iver, Death Cab for Cutie (shame on me, I know :p), Elliott Smith, and Wilco.

2. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Elliott Smith has some good stuff, but you have to be in the right mood for it... not exactly the most cheery music around :p

'Harvest' is one of my favorite songs and based on today's standards of country music, it is definitely within the genre. However, the way he sings the song makes it feel a lot more folksie than country.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  3. Saber

Very true. Jason Mraz is the opposite though, so they about even out :)

4. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Anybody pay attention to the Mercury awards? The nominees are as follows:

Florence and the Machine – Lungs 5/1
    Kasabian – West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum 5/1
    Bat for Lashes – Two Suns 6/1
    La Roux – La Roux 6/1
    Glasvegas – Glasvegas 6/1
    Speech Debelle – Speech Therapy 8/1
    Friendly Fires – Friendly Fires 8/11
    The Horrors – Primary Colours 8/1
    Lisa Hannigan – Sea Sew 8/1
    The Invisible – The Invisible 10/1
    Led Bib – Sensible Shoes 10/1
    Sweet Billy Pilgrim – Twice Born Men 10/1

This is an award I always pay attention to, most of the nominees are excellent albums. It's the usual mix of mainstream indie and complete unknowns, with token folk and rap nominations. I'm not too excited by this year's list. The only album I have is Glasvegas, very good but I don't think they're quite good enough to win. I'm not sure what Kasabian are doing here, they're ok but they're hardly Mercury material. I loved Bat for Lashes first album and having heard a few songs off the new one it sounds similar. She'd probably be my favourite to win (that I've heard of) and she's exactly the type of artist that the Mercury goes for.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I've decided that I like the majority of songs Ne-Yo is involved in. About the only R&B I like.

:banana::banana::banana:New Gem!:banana::banana::banana:

6. Saber

Went to the Blink 182 concert last night, which was great, except that they cut their set a bit short and didn't seem to be really into it - probably because their good friend, DJ AM died yesterday. I felt really bad for them, having to perform the day they find out their good friend died young :bad:

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Worst feeling ever is when you hear a song, really like it and want to look it up... Then forget how it went :doh:

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Unpacked my CDs a few days ago, found some Burzum, damn, I had forgot how good this stuff was.

Recent rehearsals with my buddies saw an extremely weird experimental edge. Going to keep refining -- I like what I hear, so far.

9. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Been listening to Abbey Road and Help! over and over. Good times.

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Are they the new remasters? I've been listening to the remastered White Album. It's just great.

11. Saber

How do the remasters sound? I mean, are they loads better/sound as if they recorded it this year?

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Saber - I picked up a couple of them and they sound better than the older versions. The overall sound is warmer, with a bit more detail and separation. These are not remixes, but cleaned up versions of the orginal master tapes. To my ears a lot of the old Beatle CDs sounded harsh, and lacked the warmth and tone of the vinyl copies I have. These are closer in sound to my vinyl, limited edtion set that I bought back in the 80s.

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

No, I've been meaning to get around to at least testing them out. If they are cleaner then it may be worth it.

14. Saber

Argh, one of my favorite bands, Mercenary, just parted with 3 of their members - the drummer, keyboardist, and (most importantly for me) vocalist! I was drawn to them by their vocals, and now he is gone :( Boooooooooo!

15. Disciple of The Watch

Been listening to Godflesh, and daamn, it's good stuff. Industrial grindcore? Works for me. Streetcleaner is an absolute classic.

16. Saber

Eeeee, listening to Katatonia's new album for the first time! On vinyl, no less :) :bigeyes:

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I've been listening to "Terrapin Station" all week. I also started picking up on some of the guitar parts. This version was recorded at Winterland, SF.

I think this has become my favorite track by TGD.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  18. Disciple of The Watch

Just got back from a jam. Tonight was straight up good ol Death Metal. Ever heard a death metal version of a Kreator song? We did Death Is Your Savior amongst many others, and it was INCREDIBLE! This really was an awesome jam... Death metal + Kreator FTW... seriously.

19. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Ronnie James Dio's got stomach cancer. :(

I'm sure he'll beat this thing. He's one tough old cookie.

20. Disciple of The Watch

I'm starting to appreciate Mushroomhead. After enough nature, I took a deep listening at the album XX, and it's overall pretty darn good. I can make comparaisons with Slipknot, but I actually like Mushroomhead better.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.