1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Babbling Post #4

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, I did manage to hear one track off of Ink: Thank You?, a good anti-war track off TDR's website. Pretty good, but I never cared much for tracks with extended narration.

2. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I just Stumbled across a site with a few music artist and their real name and saw this:
    Akon - Aliaune Damala Bouga Time Puru Nacka Lu Lu Lu Badara Akon Thiam
    WTF?? No wonder he's just 'Akon'

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I went to a Nightwish concert last night - utterly fantastic. They're an incredible live band - the amount of energy they put into their performance is amazing.

The crowd was awesome too - I have the bruises and aches to prove it :p

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Lol, I remember when I discovered that with a bunch of classmates... we heard it and all said, "Come again?"

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

How do we feel about Catamenia?

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Wow, been aeons since I posted here.

Who?

7. Saber

http://www.last.fm/music/Catamenia

Catamenia, a melodic black metal band from Finland. They have some pretty good stuff. I haven't listened to it enough to recognize songs (although not a lot of black metal is recognizable), but it is still good.

I forget, DotW, do you like melodic black metal, or just straight black metal? I know you like Burzum, but I could never get into them...

8. Disciple of The Watch

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I like in-your-face black metal like Black Dawn, Dark Funeral, Behemoth, Zyklon or Marduk, for example, but some other times I just go with atmospheric black metal like Bloodthorn, Summoning, Arcturus and Burzum.

I should point out there are two very distinct eras of Burzum - there's the pure black metal era, from the first album, Burzum, to the last, Filosofem. Then there's the other era of Burzum - Daudi Baldrs and Hlidskjalf. Both albums are instrumental keyboard arrangements who have nothing to do with metal whatsoever. Despite that fact, I have enjoyed Daudi and Hlidskjalf.

Varg himself said he was pretty much done with metal, and maybe even completely done with Burzum. Time will tell if we've heard the last of Burzum or not.

Old Burzum albums are not easy listens, partly because of the poor production (which I know you are not fond of), but IMO, Burzum albums are diamonds in the rough.

9. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

As are most black metal albums. But that's why bm is so unique :p

10. Disciple of The Watch

Taker... since you're back, maybe you could help me.

See, for THREE FREAKING YEARS I've been stuck with a crappy internet connection with a ridiculous bandwidth quote which has allowed me NO downloading whatsoever.

I may have a significant music collection, but I grow tired of always listening to the same tunes. I certainly could use some new BM/DM recommendations. I have a few friends with high speed and more bandwidth quotas, so I can get them to download me some stuff.

I'll admit I've taken a liking to atmospheric and melodic BM, so I any new blood in that field is more than welcome. Feel free to add some obscure DM, doomdeath, doom, hell, anything you think I might like.

11. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

I'm not into melodic stuff myself, it it doesn't hurt to listen it can't be true :p
    But here are my death, black and doom (mostly) recomendations:
    Vesania, Trauma, Dies Irae, Ataraxie, Black Forest, Daylight Dies, October Tide, Rotting Christ, Solitude Aeturnus, Tyranny, Rapture, Agalloh, Novembers Doom, Shape Of Despair, Skepticism, Saturnus.

12. Disciple of The Watch

November's Doom and Rotting Christ are two familiar names.

I never had enough November's Doom to truly get into it, and from what I recall of RC, it was rather crude pure black metal... did they changed their style or what?

And what about this Draco something you mentioned some time ago?

13. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

RC was crude black metal band but they evolved to black/gothic later.

Draconian, doom/gothic, highly recommended, I thought I said that before.

14. Disciple of The Watch

Yeah, that's the name. Yeah you did, but blame Aspartame for my poor memory.

I vividly remember Passage to Arcturo, Thy Mighty Contract, Non Servian, Triarchy of the Lost Lovers... good stuff that was. As for their new stuff, can you give me an example of another band new RC sounds like?

And speaking of RC, I assume you know Thou Art Lord? Good stuff too.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  15. Saber

If you want some meloblack, Graveworm is great (I think you'd like their older stuff better). Agathodaimon, Naglfar, and Will of Ancients are the others that come to my mind.

Do you like Katatonia?

16. Disciple of The Watch

Graveworm is good stuff - the first three albums are part of my cult favorites. Scourge of Malice had some good moments too, but I never gotten into Engraved, (N)Utopia or Collateral Defect.

Agathodaimon? I have Chapter III, and I never really got into it.

Opeth? Three words: Black. Rose. Eternal. Enough said.

The first four Theatre of Tragedy are also cult classics.

Bloodthorn's In The Shadow of Your Black Wings? We played that stuff and enjoyed every single second of it.

I'm also looking forward to the new Tiamat album.

First two The Sins of Thy Beloved are masterpieces.

Absolutely, though it's been aeons since I last got a chance to listen to those guys.

17. Saber

(N)Utopia is my favorite, but I love their older stuff too. Everything by them is amazing :)

I have been listening to Katatonia a ton over the last couple weeks. Do you like their clean vocal stuff, or only Brave Murder Day and Dance of December Souls?

18. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

@DotW: Go listen to Sanctus Diavolos ;). Nuff said.
    And yes, I know Thou Art Lord.

As for Katatonia, Nyström and Renkse = gods. All their albums are great but Dance of December Souls (Gateways of Bereavement - their best song!!!) and Brave Murder Day (hail Mike Akerfeldt) are one of the best f****** albums ever!!!

19. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I actually broke a string today. Doesn't happen very often these days.

Don't believe the folklore tales that suggest you should only change strings when they break. That's only true for beginners who break strings fairly often.

20. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

After listening to 2 new tracks from their upcoming album, I must say Moonspell's Night Eternal will be one of the best this year!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.