1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Babbling Post #4

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Sep 7, 2006.

1. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Oooh Jiro used to be another band... *^^* He apparently sang solo for one song...I hope I can find out what the band was called...

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

In This Twilight by Nine Inch Nails is such an awesomely good song - best out of what's been leaked/released so far by miles (and that's saying quite a lot - Survivalism has grown on me in a big way). Can't wait for the rest of the album...

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Here are some some pictures from Metalmania festival:

http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img013tj9.jpg
    The show is about to start

http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img043fz0.jpg
    On stage: My Dying Bride
    http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img044cz4.jpg

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img029qy0.jpg

Me with Aaron Stainthorpe ;D
    http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img024yi6.jpg

and some autographs from members of Testament, Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride: http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zdj281cie13pb7.jpg

4. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Got back from Bluesfest about 30 minutes ago. Suffice to say, it was by far one of the greatest weeks of my life.

Quick run down

1st Night:
    Watched Ben Kweller, John Mayer and Wolfmother. All VERY good.
    Quite a few teenieboppers but it was bearable.
    Many people smoking weed.

2nd Night:
    Watched the Sierra Leone Refugee All-Stars, ALO (Animal Liberation Orchestra) who brought out Jack Johnson as a special guest which was REALLY awesome. Also watched Bela Fleck and the Flecktones who were awesome and the Magic Numbers who also kicked ass.
    Not as many people smoking weed but still quite a few.

3rd Night:
    Watched Amos Lee, Bela Fleck again (he and his band were even better this time), Fred Eaglesmith, Fishbone and Ozomatli who all rocked.
    Many people smoking weed.

4th Night:
    Watched Taj Mahal, The Ghostwriters, The Sunshiners, Xavier Rudd (who is GOD) and the John Butler Trio.
    Least amount of weed being smoked.

5th Night:
    Watched Pierre Facinni, was supposed to watch GoGol Bordello but they cancelled, Floggin' Molly, The Waifs, Missy Higgins (though I slept through most of her on the ground), Taj Mahal (slept through him as well) and Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals who played with John Butler, Bonnie Rait, Jack Johnson, Taj Mahal, Xavier Rudd, and Pierre Facinni. It was Godly.
    Had 2 girls standing next to me for the final night who were lighting up new joints as soon as they had finished the old ones and most of the smoke was passing across my face. While I will never take any form of recreational drug willingly, it was certainly made the concert into an even bigger experience. :hippy: :hippy: :hippy:

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Got three cds recently from Amazon:
    Stream of Passion - Embrace the Storm
    Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element
    Sentenced - The Cold White Light

After a few listens, all of the above are good.

6. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Eee! ^^ My friend said Fahrenheit might be coming to Sydney for a concert! I'm really excited! :spin:

7. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Not especially new news, but since no-one else has posted on it:

Iced Earth's website (here) has been updated with the theme from their upcoming single. Regardless of what their new stuff sounds like, the artwork is looking pretty cool. Besides, I think I have to get the single when it is released to satisfy my curiosity.

Secondly, Matt Barlow is back in metal! He's joined a Danish band called Pyramaze (website is here ). Not too sure how good they are as I've never heard of 'em before, but his return at least is something to be happy about.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Going to the second night of the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival... it's not too great of a lineup, but it has some good death metal, melodeath, and metal bands... I am pissed I missed DT tonight, though. :( I'll let you know how the 13 hours of metal goes tomorrow :)

9. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

New Sonata Arctica song! It's great.

Oh, it's called 'Paid in Full'

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Hey, that's not too bad at all Daie! Never thought of myself as a Sonata Arctica fan. Maybe I've just not heard enough.

12. Saber

I've been getting into a bunch of new stuff lately - Melodic Black Metal (and pretty much any black metal) like Naglfar, Graveworm, etc, newer Melodic Death Metal (myGrain is awesome! Kill The Romance is sweet too, although their name sounds like an emo name), more Power Metal (plus retouching some older stuff like Helloween and Sonata Arctica again), and I'm working on some brutal death metal, although that is a bit more difficult to get into.

P.S. this thread basically died after I left...

13. Elthas Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@ Saber:

I'll revive the thread.

Naglfar's older material is far superior to what they're doing now. The only Naglfar albums you need are "Vittra" and "Diabolical"! "Enslave the Astral Fortress" off of Vittra is probably the best metal song that Iron Maiden didn't write/perform (as IM are the GODS OF ALL METAL!).

Anyway, Naglfar are more "blackened death metal" than pure Black Metal. The gods of this genre used to be Dissection (before their lukewarm last album "Reinkaos" and Jon's subsequent ritual suicide). I recommend "The Somberlain" and "Storm of the Light's Bane". Another good album is Sacramentum's "Coming of Chaos" (if you like Naglfar). Although considered "pure" Black Metal by some, Satyricon's "Nemesis Divina" album has that early Naglfar/Dissection sound going on as well.

@ Beren (the originator of this thread), if you want to hear the best of German industrial, check out Wumpscut. IMHO even the worst stuff by Wumpscut blows Rammstein out of the water. Rudi R. aka Wumpscut simply makes FILTHY music - the way industrial should be.

14. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    I just got back home from a Nas concert. What can I say, it was great. :)

15. Saber

Anybody else like Sting, The Police, Tom Petty, or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers?

I'm getting into all of them now... I was brought up listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, so I remember all their songs, but I never actually listened to them by myself... but they are wicked good!

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Recieved the first of 3 cds from Amazon yesterday. It's the new Therion album. I haven't listened to it enough to form a proper opinion, but from first impressions it is pretty good.

I believe my mother does. Can't say I'm all that much of a fan.

17. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I saw Heaven and Hell tonight. Ronnie James Dio can give singers half his age a good run for their money any time. Seriously, the guy is like 65 years old.

A single note from Tony Iommi sounds heavier than the entire current generation of metal bands all put together. That tone is just monstrous.

18. Saber

For anyone who likes Melodic Death Metal, you should check out Mercenary. They are awesome and don't get enough credit. They are a bit unknown. They are Danish and have power influences, and their earlier stuff has a bit of thrash influences.

Home website: http://www.mercenary.dk/
    Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/music/Mercenary
    Century Media: http://www.centurymedia.com/us/single_artist.php?ID=34

Erm, and if you want some samples, you can message me, but I won't give you the full CDs because these guys need support (and they are not on an RIAA label, so you aren't supporting EVIL).

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'm not a big fan of Sting in general, but I certainly don't mind occasional songs by The Police. As for Tom Petty (and the Heartbreakers), there's a lot of good stuff there. Not my among my favorites, but still a lot of quality music.

20. Elthas Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Decados ~ How are you liking the new Therion album? The last thing I bought from Christopher Johnsson & Co. was "Vovin"...all time favorite of theirs for me is "Lepaca Kliffoth". I liked 'em better when they had mostly death metal vocals, but that's just me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.