1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random MMA (UFC/Bodog/K-1/TKO/EliteXC/Cage Rage/King of The Cage, etc.) babbling

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Disciple of The Watch, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    No they didn't, it's the interim title that the winner of Mir-Carwin will get. It means that while the current champion is out, there is contention for a ''shadow belt''. When the current champion comes back again, the holder of the interim title will fight the champion for the undisputed belt. It's basically just a way to keep things interesting while the champion is away.

When Couture was having a contract dispute with the UFC, an interim title was given to Noguiera. Frank Mir beat Noguiera to become the interim title owner. When Couture came back, he was beaten by Lesnar (Noguiera and Mir had to fight one another as coaches of the Ultimate Fighter 8). Lesnar then beat Mir at UFC 100 top become the undisputed heavyweight champion.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

So this means we *could* see Mir get his candy ass pounded in a bloody heap by Lesnar one more time? Works for me.

I'd love to see Lesnar and Barnett collide, though. Or see Barnett collide for anyone else, for that matter...

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Seems like Mir has to wait, he got owned by Corwin. Too bad, I like Mir but I do not think he has what it takes to defeat Lesner again.

As for GSP, seriously, the man is a monster. Never seen anyone dominate like he does, the only way he can ever lose is to the lucky punch. Don't know if he truly lacks finishing power or if the Outlaw was just very good at defending.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I would argue that GSP was facing one of his toughest challenges yet -- the guy was good but not nearly good enough. I think we've seen GSP finish enough fights to not doubt his finishing power. The guy is a killer.

IIRC, he could have just popped that guy's arm clean out but being a gentleman he released his Kimura hold. I'd have to see the fight again to be sure.

5. Triactus

Media:
    I *finally* saw UFC 111 saturday. I wasn't surprised GSP won over Hardy. I mean seriously, who can beat GSP?? Like joacqin said, the only way he will lose is by a lucky punch. But even still, he can take a quite a punch. I think the Sera loss was a fluke. I'd like for him to move down and hold both Ligfhtweight and Welterweight belts. That's be really cool!

I sure didn't expect Mir to lose, and certainly not the way he did. You have to hand it to Carwin though, he packs quite a punch!

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Saw 112, Penn lost his belt in a boring boxing match. Anderson Silva held onto his in a stupid, silly boxing match where he toyed but never finished his opponent. I think this was one of the worst UFCs I have seen.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

What has gotten into Silva -- when I first saw him fight he was dynamic, fun, and a gentleman to boot -- I can't remember whose hiney he'd just kicked when he said "__________ is a good fighter." -- He showed class. I didn't see this last one but apparently he was taunting his foe and drawing out the match (from everything I read) -- he should be ashamed of himself for sinking to that sort of crap.

I'm glad BJ got beat -- I hate that guy. I hope he never wins again (unlikely, but I can dream!)

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Sorry to double post, but I can't help it -- soon Lesnar will face Carwin. After seeing the Carwin / Mir fight, I like Carwin quite a bit. But can he defeat the monster who is Lesnar? I'm not sure. Lesnar is not a pretty fighter. He's not a stylish fighter. But he is a dang good fighter who can seriously put the hurt on anyone who he takes on. While I would like to see Carwin take it, I fear Lesnar will hand him his rectum.

9. Triactus

Media:
    I dunno. Carwin can take care of himself. I was really impressed by his win over Mir. Did Lesnar ever go against anyone with incredible hands like Carwin? If Lesnar wins, I think it will be a hell of a scrap!

On a side note, GSP rules all... just in case somebody forgot it... :p

10. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Speaking of Brock Lesnar, did anybody see that Dave Bautista (WWE Superstar Batista) is going to Strikeforce?

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

GSP is one of the few Quebecois I like -- of course, so are you, Triactus!

I would like to see GSP put on about 8 pounds and Anderson Silva drop about 8 and have them go at it in a catchweight fight. I would be rooting for GSP all the way, but to be honest I really don't know who would walk away with the victory.

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, so I'm not really into the fighting sports. I've watched a dozen or so UFC fights, and the UFC/MMA style gets my seal of approval for awesomeness. But the sport won't fully capture my attention until they get a bunch of WWE "superstars" and put them in a cage with a bunch UFC champs for a *real* UFC style fight. :evil:

I hate the WWE with such an intense passion that watching UFC fighters mop the floor with their blood would make me have a joygasm! :bigeyes:

Anyway, when the UFC was finally allowed back in Utah, I went to 4 fights that were held in high school gyms. My buddy knew a guy in his army unit that was a UFC fighter. IIRC the guy's name was Jeremy, but I think his UFC name was Bear...or JereBear...or something like that. :hmmm: It's been a few years. :bad: I don't know if that guy went on to be big in the UFC world since I haven't watched any fights the past year or so.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Lesnar wins one more time! A submission finish is... unexpected from Lesnar. Still, AWESOME fight!

And Kit, if you want a good laugh, check out TNA on SpikeTV. WWE is bad, but this is something else.

LKD, GSP vs Silva, my vote goes to Silva. The Spider is ONE BADASS MOFO.

14. Triactus

Media:
    UFC 116 was one hell of a show! I don't remember another UFC quite as entertaining in a long while.

I was sure Carwin had Lesnar in the first round. I really thought the ref was going to stop it. Even though I don't like Lesnar, I was glad he won b y submission and not from lying on top of his opponent. He showed another side to his game against Carwin. I don't think Valasquez quite has it to beat him...

Silva a badass? I once would have agreed. Have you seen his last fights?? Not only does he put no effort in it, but he is incredibly boring to see. Granted, he has good hands and not too bad submissions, but GSP's wrestling and ground game is world class. I would not hesitate to put my money on GSP.

15. Disciple of The Watch

Tri-cactus, I too was sure Carwin had this one won. IMO, Lesnar showed the heart of a true champion (If there ever were any doubts this would be the case). The better part is that Brock is only going to get better and better with time, perfecting his game. R.I.P, Cain Velasquez. The T-1000 Brock Lesnar is going to annihilate you.

I said a long time ago that Brock would be a major force in UFC, that the guy was a future World Champion. Were those words prophetic, or what. I was a Lesnar supporter since day 1 in UFC, and with every fight Brock has, he further proves to me he is the REAL DEAL. With submissions added to his arsenal, he becomes even deadlier. Being locked in an armbar is one thing, being locked in an armbar by this MASSIVE MONSTER is a TOTALLY different game. Looking forward to the next Lesnar fight, actually. Could even be worth it to order the friggin PPV even if it's only for the Lesnar match.

GSP is good, granted. The guy *is* impressive. As for Silva, true, I haven't watched a Silva match for, err, well, quite some time.

As for Boretista... he was an awful wrestler. He's going to get devoured in MMA. If (Scott) Coker was to sign Boretista, my first thought would be "WHAT THE HELL IS HE THINKING?!?"

*EDIT*

Found this:

Too bad. The Axe Murderer was one of the baddest mofos on the planet.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I cannot frickin believe that no one has commented on Saturday's fight between Sonnen and A. Silva. I have to admit I was shocked. I've never seen Silva get dominated like that, ever. I get the feeling he never has, either -- he just looked shocked as hell for the first two rounds. I've never liked Sonnen, he's a <snip>, but I had to acknowledge his tremendous skill at putting Silva on his back and pounding the bejeezus out of the poor Brazilian.

I wrote the fight off when Sonnen put him on his back again at the beginning of the 5th round. I mean, what were the odds of Silva even being coherent, right? Then, from right out of his bumhole, Silva pulled that beautiful leglock triangle. I don't know where he got the strength to hold it steady like that, but he did, and Sonnen definitely tapped.

So what did we learn from all this? We learned the dangers of arrogance. I get the feeling Silva didn't take Sonnen seriously before the fight. He'd won 11 fights in a row, and was likely feeling unbeatable. While Sonnen was working out hard a la Clubber Lang, Silva was making love a la Rocky and Adrienne.* When they stepped in the octagon, the difference in preparadness showed. Silva paid the price for his arrogance by receiving the worst beating I have ever seen laid on a title holder. He's gotta have a minor concussion at the least.

For his part, Sonnen got all cocky at the end of the fight. He had won 4 rounds handily, and was riding high. He left himself open in his sadistic desire to knock out Silva. At that moment, Silva struck like a freaking viper, and the 20 odd minutes of utter and complete domination became as relevant as the Osmonds in a period of less than 40 seconds.

I was at a bar watching it, and let me tell you, the place freaking EXPLODED when Silva finished the fight.

*I don't know if Silva is married, but from what little I know about Brazil, I betcha he isn't lacking for willing female companionship!

17. Triactus

Media:
    I downloaded and started watching The Ultimate Fighter 1. I only started at the third season. It's funny seeing stars now living in a house and doing stupid stuff. Oh, and I HATE KOSCHECK! Can't wait for GSP to demolish him in December (or whatever time the coaches of the next TUF will fight).

And whatever happened to Nate Quarry?

18. Disciple of The Watch

I had heard about the Silva fight, I might be wrong on that one but wasn't Silva defending a title?

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Silva was defending for like the 7th time or something, he's had a longer run as champion (and defended more times) than anyone in UFC history, IIRC.

But to watch the fight, Silva looked like a freaking Newbie a lot of the time. I was shocked, I've seen Sonnen fight before and he wasn't that good. But he damn well ate his Wheaties for this fight, because he dropped Silva every single round and once that was done, Silva had no chance.

Or so it seemed. I was given to think of the first Machida fight with Rua, wherein Rua got freaking robbed, and many people wrote it off to the fact that Machida was getting unfair credit just for being the champ, but that's just not the case here. It is quite clear to anyone watching the replay that Sonnen freaking tapped. No bias to Silva at all, he tapped out, game over. That must have been quite the triangle.

I see on the UFC site that they are thinking of giving Sonnen another shot at the title right quick. I think he needs to pay some dues and give some other folks a shot at the title before he steps in against the Spider again.

20. Disciple of The Watch

If I didn't knew better, I'd think Silva pulled a Lesnar. Get your ass whooped, then quick as lightning come back and finish the fight against a dominating, yet tired opponent, and finish him up to make the victory that more dramatic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.