1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random MMA (UFC/Bodog/K-1/TKO/EliteXC/Cage Rage/King of The Cage, etc.) babbling

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Disciple of The Watch, Feb 7, 2008.

1. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm ecstatic to see that Brock Lesnar has not adopted Sherk-style lay n' pray, which I really feared given his background and the fact that he is training out of Minnesota.

It should be interesting to see his rematch vs. Mir, that will be his first major test since losing to Mir. Not that Randy Couture is a bad fighter, but Brock Lesnar is the perfect style to beat Couture. In his rematch vs. Mir we can expect to see whether Mir can avoid the hammerfists of doom long enough to pull a sub.

It may take striker with excellent takedown defense to beat Lesnar, especially as his sub defense continues to develop. The gameplan to beat Lesnar right now is probably still submission, but as he develops his sub defense the way to beat him will be to have excellent takedown defense coupled with knockout power in order to keep Lesnar thinking twice before bull-rushing in. Then, make liberal use of leg kicks to hurt Lesnar's takedown ability, and proceed to pick him apart on his feet. Easier said than done, though. I hope the UFC signs Overeem. It will also be interesting to see how Pat Berry's takedown defense develops, and there is always the hope of signing Fedor.

2. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Just seen UFC 92 and really enjoyed it. Great 2nd main event between Mir and Minotauro. :D

The first main card match was also very entertaining, with the crotch knees and stuff. :p

martaug likes this.
  3. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well bobby lashley beat bob sapp in a first round TKO. This improves his record to 4-0.
    Double leg takedown & just pounded on him & kept him pinned until he gave up. Classic ground & pound.

4. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I can't wait until UFC 100!! I really love St-Pierre, and I don't see him losing to Alves, although he lost to Sera, so anything can happen..

And Lesnar vs Mir will be a edge of your seat fight! Both are good entertainers, so we won't see a Silva vs Leites #2. :D

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is it this Saturday or when is it?

6. Triactus

Media:
    It's saturday july 11th.

And there's also the two coaches of the Ultimate Fighter US vs UK, Dan Henderson and Micheal Bisping, that will fight! :)

7. Triactus

Media:
    Wooo! I saw UFC 100 last night. What a show! :clap: I won't say how the fights ended, but all I'll say is the top three fights were battles! :banana:

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What will become of the heavyweight division? I am no fan of Lesner but that division is dead. I can't see anyone to challenge him and to be honest the reason Lesner got the smooth trail was that the heavy weight needed to be spiced up but how fun is this? See 300 pounds of meat pound people until the ref breaks it up aint no fun.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I loved UFC 100. I especially liked Henderson knocking Bisping cold, and then, even though he doesn't usually do it, punching the guy in the head once he was down. Well, he says he doesn't do it -- I've noticed a disturbing willingness in the UFC to keep beating on some poor bugger even after he is clearly out, waiting only for the ref to step in.

I also liked my fellow Canadian teaching that twerp Thiago that size doesn't matter. He OWNED that fight!

I liked the Lesner fight, too -- I feel for the guy -- seems like a lot of people weren't taking him seriously just because he was in the WWF. He showed them. No question about it, he beat Frank Mir fair and square. Mir shouldn't have ever stepped into the ring with Lesner when the guy was so pissed off.

That said, though, the stunning lack of sportsmanship on Lesner's part was deeply disappointing to me. One reason I;ve always liked the UFC is the relative lack of trash talking -- St. Pierre hugged his opponent after the fight -- even the first televised fight between the Japanese fighter and the other fellow, even though the decision was crap, they both showed respect and decency to each other. That level of decency and civility (being able to step into a ring, get the crap beaten out of you / beat the crap out of someone and then shake their hands or even hug them after the bout?) Class all the way.

In answer to your question, Joacqin, to quote one of the cheesier lines from Phantom Menace, "there's always a bigger fish". Lesner will one day meet the weight equivalent of GSP -- someone with much more skill and style, and that fighter will hand him his butt. Hopefully a little humility will go with it.

10. joacqin

Media:
    Well, I am afraid Mir was that guy. As for the thrash talk Lesner is a product in UFC just as when he was in the WWF. He only had to go four matches of which he lost one to Mir to get the title. He has been riding the gravy train just because he is a WWF name. I am not saying he isnt good enough I am just saying that the title was more or less given to him.

As for the knockdown what I have noticed is that they usually jump down on someone who is knocked out but that is generally to make sure they are out and to make the ref stop the fight. Rarely do they land such punches as Henderson did. All in all I must say just as you that the level of sportmanship is generally very high. Even after "grudge" matches the fighters at least make the appearance of being buddies afterwards.

Oh and the size difference between GSP and Thiago was tiny, the biggest difference was in reach and there GSP had quite the advantage. Too bad he couldnt finish without a decision but it must have been one of the easiest decisions ever. Did Thiago do anything?

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Sure Thiago did -- he lost!

I don't think anyone is gonna defeat Lesner anytime soon. But the day will come.

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is it necessary for the title of this topic to be so obnoxiously long? Anyone interested in MMA would know who those organizations are already, and "Random MMA Babbling" oughta cover it, don't you think?

Just sayin'.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Dana White has mentioned Fedor... he wants a Lesnar/Fedor fight. And damn, it would be good stuff indeed. Brock is a monster, and so is Fedor.

Despite some other people in here, I actually like Brock. He goes in, kicks ass and win matches, and in the end, it's all that matter. Not as varied or exciting as say the Welterweight division, but still, it's enjoyable.

Fedor's next opponent is Josh Barnett. This is going to be one hell of a match. Enough said.

14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'm relatively new to MMA -- I notice that this Fedor person is not on the UFC website, but he's fought for tons of other promoters. I'm rather ignorant about the mechanics here -- would it be difficult to get him into UFC? Would it require the UFC spending tons of money to get him to fight? What's the deal?

15. Disciple of The Watch

Well... with the demise of PRIDE and EliteXC, the folding of Affliction (noooooooo!!!!!), there are not much places left for Fedor to go, so either Japan or UFC. As I said, Dana White wants this to happen. Remains to see if Fedor has any interest.

I personally prefer Affliction. It's a pity the next PPV also happens to be the final one... at least we get Barnett/Fedor, that eases the pain a bit.

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Anyone see UFC 100 last night? I didn't watch it, but I've read about the results.
    Lesnar (apparantly) destoryed Mir, which is a bummer (since I like Mir) but not a surprise. St. Pierre also won (again, no surprise). The one that did surprise me was Bisping vs. Henderson. Evidently Henderson knocked him out, which is bittersweet for me. I've been a fan of Bisping since his stint on TUF, but lately he's been kind of an ass, just talks tons of trash and I was disappointed in his behaviour as a coach (on the latest season of TUF). I think it was good for Bisping to get thumped a little, maybe teach him a little humility.

17. Triactus

Media:
    Here's the way I see it :

Lightweight : Penn has no real competition. KenFlo will lose in next UFC, but my god how I hate Penn and would like him to lose...

Welterweight : St-Pierre has no real opponent left. Hugues for a rematch? Well, I don't see GSP losing still. Might be a good move to go down to 155 and kick the hell out of Penn and hold two titles at the same time.

Middleweight : Silva is a loner at 185. Who can truly beat him? I was extremely unimpressed by his last two performances, so I hope he changes his style.

Light Heavyweight : The only 'King of the hill' division. Can Machida lose? Certainly. The division has great up-comers. It will be a great show each time.

Heavyweight : The question is, can anyone compensate for Lesnar's weight? Lesnar is a very weak fighter. He has no technique. Mir could beat him anytime. The only reason he was beaten to a pulp was that Lesnar just lied down on him and he couldn't move. I don't like Lesnar, he has no skill or sportsmanship (seriously, it's not the WWE, you don't give the finger to the crowd after you win...). I hope the next contenders will win (maybe Kongo?)

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

No argument from me there -- Penn is an arrogant little turd.

While I'd like nothing better than to see GSP kick Pen into oblivion, I don't think it's happening -- St. Pierre is a lean, mean 170 -- I don't think he has 15 pounds to lose. I much prefer the idea of him going up to 185 -- St. Pierre could pack on 15 pounds of muscle easily and the fight with Anderson Silva would be a real sight to behold. I like both of them, though for obvious reasons (I'm Canadian!) I'd want GSP to win.

I'm not a big Machida fan, but I don't dislike him either. I like watching the fighters in this division -- as you say, they're always great shows.

I disagree -- Lesnar is not a totally skill-deprived individual. I think his stupid flamboyancy is totally inappropriate, but don't let that fool you into thinking he's all talk and no action. If Mir could beat him anytime, why didn't he? If Mir were that much more skilled than Lesnar, he would have not ended up on his back with Lesnar's 265 pounds on him -- he would have been able to avoid it at all costs.

That said, Lesnar should seek to obtain some modesty or his final humiliation, when it comes, will be monumental. It behooves all sportsmen to behave like gentlemen, for their time as champions is almost always relatively short.

19. Disciple of The Watch

Brock Lesnar is despised by the UFC audience because of his wrestling background.

The way I see it... Dana White/Lesnar/UFC are doing their job, which is getting you to hate Lesnar in the hopes of your buying the PPV to see Brock get his ass beat. The public opinion on Lesnar is obviously negative, and that's exactly the plan. As Eric Bischoff once said, controversy creates cash. Lesnar is controversial, therefore he brings in cash, since people are willing to pay for a PPV in the hopes of seeing him get his ass beat.

Brock was one of WWF's most despised villain (though I use that term loosely), and he acts the same way in UFC. The fans hate him, Brock hates them back, and I see absolutely nothing wrong in flipping off someone that hates you. Brock is a bad mofo who just doesen't give a damn, and that's why I am a huge mark for this guy.

My sentiments exactly. I was glad he whupped Mir's ass, and I was even more so glad when you add the title in the equation.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  20. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

OK, any predictions on UFC 101, my friends? I really, REALLY want BJ Penn to lose because I think he's a first class douche, but the problem is that he's a really, really skilled first class douche.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.