1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random cellphone babbling thread #1

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Then that's what I have. I pay $40 for about 8 months worth of phone use. The cheapest phone is keeping the one you've already got, regardless of what it looks like.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    PAYG - Pay for the phone, then pay for the use (ie. calls, texts).

Contract - Phone comes free, you pay a set line rental and your company pays for a certain amount of your calls and texts. Example, I pay approximately £25 a month and for that I get 200 free talk minutes, any time any network and 500 free texts. When you use up these minutes and texts, they start stinging you, but I don't go over them so it's no problem. Oh, and my contract is for 12 months. My free phone was a D500, 1 week after they came out (hit the shops here for anywhere between £300-400).

Contract deals are the way to go so long as you know what you're doing.

DoTW - I'll certainly keep an eye out in future for the LG phones. Just my personal taste at the minute is that they don't look very good. SE's have the best looks and functionality I've found so far (a few of my mates have the Sony Walkman and they swear by them).

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

[Poof, there goes my expertise]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  4. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Im with BA on this, the reason i stuck with my RAZR for so long, even tho it was rubbish, was that it looked BRILLIANT and i set a trend cos i was one of the first in my village/town/group of friends to get a black RAZR, then lots of other folk copyed me after exclaiming "thats a sweet looking phone".

PAYG = Pay as you go. Meaning you have a certain balance on your phone, say $10 a call costs you $2 so now you only have $8 untill you top it up. In other words your paying for your call/text as soon as you make it, instead of waiting till the end of the month.

5. Disciple of The Watch

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'd rather save my money and stick with the one functioning phone that I already have. It's pretty hard to get tired of something as mundane as a phone.

7. Disciple of The Watch

8. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Hi DotW these are my choices pick your top 5 in order and I'm not paying £300 ($500) for the 8800

9. Disciple of The Watch

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Oooo...a top 5 list now huh? My turn!

#5 - Samsung x495 - flip phone - fairly standard features. No camera, or blue tooth, but it has speaker phone.
    #4 - Motorola SLIVR - candy bar - A guy at my work has one. Looks good, and he says it's *way* better then the RAZR he used to have.
    #3 - Motorola PEBL - flip phone - Looks fairly cool, and has some decent features...and I have heard a lot of good things about it.
    #2 - Samsung t309 - flip phone - one step up from the x495. It has the same features as the x495, but adds a camera and video capture.
    #1 - Samsung t809 - slider - the mother of all phones! The t809 has everything you would ever want in a phone and looks awsome too! :thumb: :rolling:

11. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Sorry DotW but the 8800 while being uber-sexy :love: is ridiculously priced at £599 ($1000) and to upgrade for £300 is a bit bloody steep it's a phone after all.

I got the 6101 and yes please I would like the unlock codes.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Samsung T809, Robbers Wireless

Modes: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM. Supports GSM roaming overseas.

Battery life: Good, but not great. Rated for 5.5 days, and that's about what I got.

Signal: Great! Like my Nokia 3595, it holds signal in the most unlikely of places. They're pretty much shoulder-to-shoulder.

Sound quality: GSM has inferior sound quality than CDMA. Get the point. The sound is clear, and thankfully, the irritating buzz when placing a call with low signal is, wonderfully, absent. The volume is decent, too.

Phone and keyboard feel: I had never worked with sliders prior to that phone, and it feels somewhat weird. But I'm getting used to it. The keyboard is great, except for the buttons 1,2 and 3 which sometimes are a pain.

Screen: The screen on that puppy is 262,144 colors or 18-bits, and it looks AWESOME. Very few dead pixels.

Customization: Ringtones and wallpapers are available through carrier, and pics can be used to make wallpapers. As for the cam, it performs honestly well, but it clearly isn't a substitute for a true cam. Video capture is also decent. I haven't tested the media player, though.

Form factor: Slider.

Wrap-up: While you T-Mo users in the US have this puppy, here in Canada it's a lost treasure. It might not even be released, and the one I got was a test unit. This phone, along with my 3595, might be enough to re-spark my love for GSM.

Final score: A rock-solid 9.9/10.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    I'm sorry, but I've got to say this... the Motorola i305 is absolutely foul, and how can you justify making a black and white screen in this day and age? You may as well go back a few years and pick up an old Nokia for about £3 if you're going to get a black and white. And you rated it 9.5/10?

And the Samsung T809 is basically a glorified D500/D600 with a slightly different design. I don't see what that gives you what previous models don't. It's a Samsung racket, they just keep released essentially the same unit but changing subtle things. They must be making a fortune at the minute. The best of the bunch at the minute is probably the Samsung Z320i.

The only phones worth getting at the minute are the Sony Walkman's and the Nokia 8800. That's where it ends as far as I'm concerned. Why drive a Ford when you can drive a Mercedes.

Don't blame me, I just talk sense :lol: .

Final note, Barmy's worst phone design ever award goes to...! The Samsung P900. It's just a cheap calculator!

14. Disciple of The Watch

I work as a welder, Barmy, and I need a phone that can withstand heat, dust and shock without flinching. Newer iDEN phones are getting blinged out, and losing their ruggedness. Why in the nine hells would I need a microSD slot, a MP3 player and a color screen on a *WORK* phone? Those unrugged, blinged out phones wouldn't even survive a week in the workshop. The i305 has survived a 60 foot fall, hitting a steel beam, ricocheting on the boom of a crane, hitting a windshield and drowning in a puddle of mud, and still works like a new one. Would those blinged out, unrugged phones survive such treatment? I don't think so.

***IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR NEW GEN NOKIA PHONES OWNERS***

I have just been informed that Nokia has equipped all their recent phones with a new generation of firmware with improved security ciphers and a completly rewritten calculation algorithm. The result of this new hardware is phones that are incredibly difficult to unlock; unlocking via codes does not work for the moment; the only possible way to unlock those phones is via the use of an unlocking box - a complex and costly operation.

PARTIAL LIST OF AFFECTED PHONES (I will update as I get confirmation):

- Nokia 6101
    - Nokia N90
    - Nokia E70
    - Nokia E61

Dial *#0000# on your phone to check firmware version. If your firmware version is INFERIOR to V 3.39, and dated BEFORE 25-07-2005, then this warning doesn't affect you. These phones can be recognized by the revamped battery and signal gauge, see image: [​IMG]

The new algorithm is being dissected to unravel this new level of security, but as of now those phones are very difficult to unlock. So sorry, DS, for the moment your new 6101 cannot be unlocked.

15. Harbourboy

Top five phones? I can only think of 4 phones and 3 of them are older than my Nokia 3210 (i.e. they are ones with aerials sticking out the top).

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ah, now, if we're talking about work phones I guess we're in 'accpetable' boundaries. My work supplies me a mobile phone for work purposes which is basically a brick that can make calls.

Hardly constitutes a good phone for personal use though.

17. Harbourboy

If you are allowed to use it for personal calls, then it qualifies as the most perfect phone ever. One that someone else pays for!

18. Disciple of The Watch

19. Harbourboy

You people don't seriously have one mobile phone for work and one for personal use do you? What a hassle, carting around two phones!

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Caveboy, DotW works as a welder. If he were to try to use his fancy Samsung t809 as a work phone it would be broken within a week or two. I know, I used to work in a weld shop myself. Phones don't hold up well in that environment. That's why he uses his Moto iDEN phone, which is a basic phone wrapped in .25" of soft rubber for protection. They aren't very pretty and don't have a lot of features, and like he said, if he uses his work phone for personal use, his boss won't pay for it. Not everyone has the convenience of living in the stone age of technology. :nono: :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.