1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random cellphone babbling thread #1

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Great idea, I'll try to find out how those LEDS are installed in this baby, and then I'll try to find some blue LEDS, which look plain awesome :)

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm 99.9% sure they will be the board mounted "micro LEDs". They're about .5 mm wide x 1 mm long, and are very difficult to work with. If you don't have considerable skill working with board mount components, don't try to mess with them.

But if you must, you'll need a pair of "mirco" needle-nosed pliers, a extremely fine pointed soldering iron, and magnifying glass, and a *very* steady hand. :rolleyes: :rolling:

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

[Poof, there goes my expertise]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  4. Kitrax

Media:
    Ok, so I got bored, so I'm writing a review on my phone.

Samsung C225

Battery life: Pretty good. I have to charge it about twice a week.

Signal: It could be better. I sometimes have problems with it. On random, I will loose my signal, even though it says I have full bars...and anytime I try to dial out, it gives me an "Emergency Only" error message. Removing the battery, and restarting it will sometimes fix the problem.

Sound quality: It's alright. I can almost always understand what the person on the other side is saying.

Phone and keyboard feel: The phone itself feels good in your hand, and the buttons are spaced just far enough apart to be comfortable.

Screen: It's got a 65,536 (16-bit) color screen that's 128 x 128 pixels in size. It's not too small, but it could be a lot bigger. I can't play 'Bejewled' on it because it's just too hard to make out the different gems...but other than that, it's pretty good.

Customization: It was a WAP Browser, and is capable of picture text messages, so you can have a custom wallpaper, or ringtone. The standard Samsung ringtones are pretty annoying, but LOUD, so that's what I use.

Wrap-up: The C225 isn't a high end phone by any means, but it has enough features for people to actually want it. However, it is built like a tank...this phone has survived in my pocket while I was working in a steel fabrication shop, on an international shipping line, and my current job. It's been dropped more times that I can count, and it still works just fine.

Final score: 6.5/10

Reasons: Limited features and mediocre signal. :rolling:

5. Disciple of The Watch

6. Kitrax

Media:
    What plan do you have DoTW?

I love my T-Mobile family plan. It's only 500 minutes, but I have unlimited nights and weekends, no roaming charges, no long distance charges, and free mobile to mobile calls for $49 per month.

The 500 minute limit isn't a problem either because the main person I call is my fiance, who's has the other phone on my family plan. I also work the night shift, so I'm asleep for most of the peak day charging time. :thumb: :rolling:

7. Disciple of The Watch

8. Kitrax

Media:
    Wait, what's your line of work again? Those phones look like the walkie-talkie phones used by construction workers... :rolleyes:

DotW, another quest for you:

Are there any cellphones that utilize the oLED screens yet? :rolling:

9. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

What the heck, I can write a review too.

LG VX4500 with Verizon Wireless.

Battery Life: Just fine, charge it 3 times every two weeks.

Signal: As good as it gets up here in no mans land. It is an iffy signal from my house, but other carriers in the area get less. I get 5 bars as soon as I get a mile or so towards town. I do have a couple of floky areas that I drive through, but I am pretty sure that the problem is the lack of sufficeint twoers in the area and not the phone.

Sound quality is very good, in fact I often have to turn the volume down when talking so it doesn't hurt my ear.

The phone feels small in my big hands, but it doesn't feel like it is cheap and the weight is aobut right. I can operate the bottons fine with fingers or thumb, but with gloves on it is useless.

Screen: It has a color screen, I have no idea what kind or how many pixels on it, and I really don't care. It had a golf course picture for wallpaper and that is all I need to know. I also has a small non -color screen on the outside that lets me see who is calling before I open the phone to answer.

Custonization: It has lots of features to customize it that I never use. It stares all of my friends and family in speed dial with no problem. It has a browser that I never use. I occasionally text message, and it does that fine as well. It has a bunch of ringer tones, but unfortunately not one that actually sounds like a phone ringing. At Christmass time I usually use one of the christmass ring tones to show my festive spirit.

Wrap up: It is a fine phone, it is servicable and has survived a drop into a toilet bowl (thankfully one wiht clean water in it) and is none the worse for the wear. It does have an irritating habit of taking forever to actually call the number I tell it to call, but I am suspicious that this too is a network problem. In short it is a solid vanilla phone for an old fart that just wants to use his phone to talk on.

I give it a score of 7/10

10. Disciple of The Watch

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I just renewed my old TSM30 to a Nokia 6101.
    It costed me almost nothing (changing points given by Movistar) and it does its job: to call/receive calls. It does lots of things and I even downloaded a software from Nokia to connect it to the PC but my crappy notebook hasn't the infrared activated (don't know how to activate it) and the cable that is meant to be used to connect the phone with the computer costs 25€ and that's almost double of what cost me the phone, so I forget about transfering music, pictures, etc.

12. Disciple of The Watch

13. Kitrax

Media:
    They obviously want to force people to buy the newer phones that use the newer frequencies. More money for them in the end. :nono:

I *could* review the Samsung E715, but sice it was only mine for about a moth...almost a year ago...I don't remember too much about it. But I can say it's taken the beating that my fiance has given it for the past 10-11 months. :eek: It's a sexy looking phone too! :thumb: :rolling:

14. Disciple of The Watch

15. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

For what I see here, the 3G technology is more for teenagers than for people who uses the phone for what is built to; lot of people ask themselves here what's the point of downloading music on a movil when the ouput quality is... err...very bad; who will watch tv on a cellphone? who will use the little thing to chat? Who uses the 3G to make those expensive video calls?
    Well, everyday we see on the streets groups of teenagers sitting in bars, drinking beer with their mobiles, listening to the downloaded songs, sharing them among them, watching very low quality videos of some stupid thing another did, etc.
    Most people here uses the phone to make calls, send/receive SMS, take some pictures, and not very much else; according with Movistar, the best market still is the teenager market, they are the people who make companies like Movistar to win money; my wife and I spend about 9€ per month and that's because we have to pay a minimum and that's my and her phones; her son spends the 15€ the pre-payed card he gets in 20 days...

16. Disciple of The Watch

17. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Why the hate against 3G technology?

I think it is great. Not because I can watch TV with my phone, but because of the increased data transfer rates. The additional bandwidth is more than welcome.

18. Disciple of The Watch

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Back up here. Isn't that what I keep saying, and getting called a caveman for?

20. Disciple of The Watch

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.