1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random cellphone babbling thread #1

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Hey DoTW (and everyone else), do you know of any good S60 (mainly v3) websites. I am looking for information, guides, software and resources in general. I am currently digging through some websites but I was wondering what you consider the best, if any.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Err... not sure I understand you fully here... :confused: :confused: if I understood correctly, you're looking for resource websites about the RAZR? Or if it's not that, do specify what exactly you're looking for.

3. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

Symbian OS and Nokia Series 60 related websites was what I meant.

4. Disciple of The Watch

Oh, right. Well, I'm not exactly a Symbian expert, but I know someone who is. I'll see what I can find.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Field Test: Kyocera 5135 on Bell Stupidity

Got that one for cheap as the last nail to shut GSM's coffin tight.

Battery Life: Rated for 4.5 days, held it's promises.

Signal: I don't know if this is a curse, or Murphy's Law in application, but no matter where I live, Bell Stupidity has abysmal reception. Oddly enough, even though the signal strength gauge shows no bars, I can still place calls.

Sound quality: 1x is a bit superior, but I'm very pleased with the regular digital voice quality. Superior to GSM.

Phone and keyboard feel: This sucker is TINY! It's easy to open or close with one hand, and the keys are intuitively placed. The menus are easy to navigate. However, the phone's firmware is laggy, and whenever I open it, it requires a few seconds before responding to any keypresses. A minor eye-roller that will be corrected with a firmware upgrade.

Screen: Basic B&W, with a sexy electric blue backlight. :love: :love: :love: :love:

Customization: Unfortunatly, it can't be customized with new faceplates - no front plate can be found on eBay, and the battery pack is the back half of the phone, meaning I'm stuck with the factory silver color. Ringtones and wallpapers can be downloaded, but I don't have wireless web (don't need it), so I didn't tested it.

Form factor: Clamshell

Wrap-up: For the price, this phone was worth it. Reception is better since I slapped on the reception booster from my 5165.

Final score: 7.5/10. Indoor reception issues have been patched up thanks to a cheap reception booster. The firmware lag makes me roll my eyes more than I'd like to admit, but I'll drop by a service center and get it flashed with the newer version.

[ September 14, 2006, 08:38: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, DotW...I have a little review project for you. I saw a really nice looking phone over the weekend, and I'd like you to do a review of it.

Behold! The Black Diamond Cell phone! Here is another site for it. It's only $300,000.00...

Yeah, that's right, 3 HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars! :eek: :jawdrop:

But being more realistic...I would like to hear your thoughts (and a price) for the Samsung SGH-E900. It looks nice...but hell'a expensive. :bad:

I'm looking forward to any info you get on the the updated version of the T509 too. :thumb: :rolling:

[ September 15, 2006, 22:03: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

7. Disciple of The Watch

Ahh, the E900. A nice phone, indeed. First... the price - US$300 for an unlocked version. It's tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900, so if you want to use it on T-Mo, no problems. It would work with Cingy too, but since the phone doesen't have the 850 MHz frequency, signal won't be as good as it would be on a phone that has both 850 and 1900.

The phone accepts microSD/TransFlash memory cards to stock both pictures and music (the music player can read MP3, AAC & AAC+ and WMA). Camera resolution is above 2 MP, and video capture is also possible. Data-wise, the phone uses EDGE, and has Bluetooth.

Ringers are 64-chords poly, which definitively sound nice (MP3 ringtones also become a viable option). Battery life is officially rated for roughly 200 minutes talk time and nine days standby.

Well, that's pretty much what I can tell you. This is but theorical data, however, and I lack the field test to back the theory. Keep your eyes peeled, I'll post back as soon as I get more info.

The Trace? It's pretty similar to the T509, except that this one has GSM 850, and the camera has been cranked to 1.3 MP (not bad for such a small phone), has a microSD slot and a music player. RF is significantly better than the T509. Price-wise, it's been reported to be 200$ with a contract.

[ September 14, 2006, 08:39: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

8. Kitrax

Media:
    I like how you avoided the Black Diamond Cell Phone review of my last post... :p

You are up to the challenge aren't you? :D I want to know if it's actually worth its $300,000.00 price tag. :rolling:

9. Disciple of The Watch

In one word, no.

It reminds me of the Dolce & Gabbana RAZR, which is sold for a riduculous $1,500. What does it has more? Exclusive D&G software and a gold finish, which is now available as a color for a regular RAZR. Gad, I hate the RAZR.

Seriously, the Black Diamond isn't THAT great. Quad-band GSM is good, the addition of WiFi is great... but what's the point of cramming a 400 MHz Xcale processor in there? TFT screens are also more power-hungry, and never mind that it actually has *Winblows Mobile*. Gad, I hate Windows, I don't want it creeping into my ****ing phone!

Seriously, this is nothing but a fashion icon for rich celebrities out there. 300000$ for that thing is completly riduculous.

Not a chance in hell I ever field-test the thing. I absolutly refuse to have anything to do with Winblows Mobile phones. Not to mention I'll never ever align 300,000$ in my entire life.

[ September 16, 2006, 08:14: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

10. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Can anybody comment on the Motorola V710 phone? My wife decided to change cell phone plans, and it looks like we can get this one for free (well, with a 2 ys contract, but that seems to be standard in the market now).

From what I read on the web, it's sort of an older and clunkier phone, but basically all I need it for is talking.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Ehh... only Qwest still offers the V710... Alltel, U.S. Cellular and Verizon have long discontinued it.

The Verizon T710 was infamous for having been announced with Bluetooth, but Verizon crippled (read: disabled) it, so it was kinda like fake promotion. Verizon got their greedy arses sued for that...

Speaking of Verizon, I hate them. As much as I am a CDMA fan, Verizon just aggravates the hell out of me. Bluetooth is crippled, wiring a phone with a PC is also crippled, and worst of all, every phone sold on Verizon *has* to have their crappy (and let's not forget fugly) UI.

Anyway, after the Verizon venting, back on topic. To answer your question, the V710 is one of the few good Motos.

It's 1xRTT capable, and has backup AMPS just in case. It has great RF (reception) and decent battery life (it's rated for six days, which is pretty good for a CDMA). Other than that... the screen is a 262,144 colors TFT. The camera is a crappy VGA (1.3 MP IIRC), with a LED flash. It also accepts microSD/TransFlash cards to store music or pictures (yes, it has a music player).

TBH, I'm not a fan of Moto, and this phone has WAY too much bling on it. It's said to be a good phone, though.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  12. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Heh, we actually switched to Verizon. I had bad experiences with Cingular and T-Mobile so far, and was not very eager to try another company, but my wife absolutely had to have Verizon (since she can talk for free with all her friends...)

Anyhow, thanks for the info, we'll take the phone for the two weeks trial period, see how it works.

13. Disciple of The Watch

U.S. Cellular might have proven to be another alternative, but if it has to be Verizon...

Just one last work about Motos... they make huge batches of phones, so sometimes some lemons find their way to the retailer, so the trial period is a good thing. You might want to look about the insurance, though... I don't trust Motos as long term phones.

But yeah, the bad experiences with Cingular are pretty normal... cust service is crappier than crappy, they're greedy arses, plus they voluntarely sabotaged AT&T customers coverage in an attempt to force them to sign new contracts on Cingular. Don't get me started on the "transfer fee" that they made pay the AT&T customers too. Cingular=bastards.

T-Mo is decent, but since they operate in 1900 MHz only, there are some weak or dead spots in coverage. They're also lagging behind in 3G coverage (some people actually whine about that :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ). If they could get some 800 MHz spectrum, they definitively would be a force to be reckoned with.

14. Disciple of The Watch

It warms my heart to see MVNOs (Mobile Virtual Network Operator - basically a reseller of someone else's service, in that case, Sprint) fail so miserably.

15. Kitrax

Media:
    Mmmmmm....hopefully Sprint will be next. :thumb:

Well DotW, I was given the choice of a new cell phone or a tattoo for my birthday...needless to say, I chose the tattoo. :rolleyes: So the Samsung T809, T509, or the E900 will have to wait until later for more consideration...but if you hear any info on the E900 (like a US carrier adopting it), do tell! :D :rolling:

16. Disciple of The Watch

Unlikely. Remember that they have gobbled up Nextel (along with Boost), plus they have two or three active MVNOs, IIRC, Disney Mobile ( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) and Jitterbug , for old folks wanting a phone. As you can see on the pic, the thing is ugly as f*** and looks like a toilet bowl.

Will do. Speaking of the T809, Robbers have released a stripped down version, called the T807. Looks ugly. Glad that I have a T809.

BTW, the T519 AKA the Trace is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the T509.

[ October 02, 2006, 02:16: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

17. Kitrax

Media:
    Whoa! That Jitterbug thingy really *does* look like a toilet seat! :eek:

Maybe I'll get it for my aging parents for their 40th wedding anniversary (coming up soon) as a gag-but-practical gift. :p :rolling:

18. Disciple of The Watch

Worst ever, it makes the same tone a landline does when opened. Forget software - you get an adress book and nothing else.

There is another version which is even more basic - four buttons: "Home", "Operator", "Emergency" "Answer/end".

BTW, the T519 is available through T-Mo, retailing at 200$ (contractless price).

19. Kitrax

Media:
    :lol: :shake: That's *exactly* the type of phone my parents need! :shake: :lol:

Hell, I've had to show them how to access their voicemail (the typical way of holding down the #1 button for a few seconds) at least 4 times now. I checked their phone just the other day and their voicemail had 14 new messages and 9 old messages...so apparently, they forgot how to access it again along with how to delete old messages. :bad:

Old people are a pain to teach. :bang: :rolling:

20. Disciple of The Watch

I hear ya. It took me *six* months to teach my mom how to correctly use my old Siemens M46. Fortunatly, me Da's another phone aficionado and learns the vast majority of the functions just as fast as I do.

Kitrax, did ya heard about the new calling plans from T-Mo called "My Faves"? It offers unlimited calling to five specific phone numbers. The only catch is that you need a My Faves compatible phone... your future brand new Trace is compatible.

Also, I've been looking some more into the Black Diamond... you want a piece of baaaaaaaaaaaaad news?
    It's a Sony Ericsson.

Here's a little article that might interest Sprint customers (and haters)

Yerk. A RAZR, with Sprint no less. Double Yerk.

[ October 05, 2006, 05:52: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.