1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Thread CXVIII

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Quite so. I'm almost inclined to point my finger and laugh. :p

I would highly recommend the use of SCS for anyone playing through the game or planning on doing so. BG1 is supposed to be a bit gritty.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Now, now kids... play nice.

Since I finally got around to transitioning to my new computer, I reinstalled BG:EE just yesterday. This is supposed to be the most bug-fixed version to date, but I honestly can't believe how such things as for example the unescapable credits movie, the protagonist fighter being handed a sword while the text and VO say to hit Belt with your "staff" and seemingly broken voice loudness (set to the same low level as everything else but actually way louder) could have gone unfixed this long. And I only started playing, but I'm already seeing random stuttering/slowdown in the party movement at times, as if my quad core gaming rig was not beefy enough to handle BG1's Candlekeep. Just my luck or what?

Incidentally, the default difficulty setting in BG:EE is "normal", but I'm not sure if this difficulty where monsters do 3/4 damage was also the same in the original BG1. But since the difficulty slider is there, why complain that the game's too easy? Just increase the difficulty if you think it's too easy.

But yea, all the BG2 stuff introduced into BG1 makes it a bit meh for me. Most of it just doesn't blend in naturally, though the ability to highlight containers is very welcome. I probably wouldn't care if I'd never played the original BG1, but BG:EE to me feels too much like a desperate attempt to turn BG1 into BG2. YMMV, but I'd have preferred to play the original game again with only minor and functional changes.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think all of us have played vanilla BG1 for years and can agree that after the first run through the game is simple in terms of being challenging. Then Tutu and BGEE came around. Both add features of BG2, but the intent wasn't to make into BG2 per se, but to expand your choices for replayability. If you are a min/max type of player, it's still gravy, I admit. Always will be. But with the editions of Tutu and BGEE, they let you play so many different types of characters, it added to the replayability in my book. SCS or not, it's still easily beat with almost any party combo. If you can use bows, your all set.

BGEE added more NPCs, more quests, more character options, better views/inverntory management and most importantly, was the testing grounds for BG2EE, which I found to be excellent.

Tal, I haven't encountered Bug issues after the first few initial fixes. Are you sure you are completely patched up?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Pretty sure... I downloaded the game anew yesterday.

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Raising it beyond core is kinda pointless since it only increases the damage monsters do. Damage output isn't really the problem, they have to hit you first. :D

I haven't encountered any of the bugs you mentioned, although small errors like the staff/sword thing are always present. You can pretty much equip any weapon before that fight anyway.

Overall, I haven't encountered anything major, just a glitch here and there.

SCS doesn't really make it much harder, just more balanced and less exploitable. It's always gonna be easy for us munchkins.

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I don't mind the BG2 stuff being put into BG1 despite having played the originals to death back in the days. Though I played BG2 a lot more, so there's a lot of details from the original that are a bit fuzzy. I just can't remember where Minsc and Dyna...something are, I kinda remember Gnolls being involved, meh. I almost forgot Imoen wasn't a Mage, meh I'll dual class her soon enough, like when I finaly hit level 2.

Like I said I haven't played a lot, but I haven't encoutered any significant bugs either.

For the records I'm currently playing a Half-Elf Fighter / Thief multiclass so it's not like kits are available to me.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That's sacrilege! She was made to be a thief, and a damn good one too! :shake:

8. Ofelix

Media:
    Not with 17 INT she's not, besides I'm already playing a Thief I don't really need two. Two mages however can be quite useful. I can focus one offensive spells and the other on crow control spells like sleep, colour spray, etc.

I also forgot how long you actually stay level one, especially when you're multiclassed. I just arrived at Nashkel I'm still level 1/1, damn near 1000 XP (out of 1250) for my Thief level though, and also Fighter, but that's only halfway through.

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Unintelligent thieves don't live very long lives. ;)

She's arguably the second best thief in the game, and only barely a decent mage. But since Alora is not available for the majority of the game unless you skip most of the exploring, she's number one in my book.

After a few levels, my gameplay generally consists like 80% of Imoen going around insta-killing everything hostile and looting the place, while the rest of the party are having tea. :D

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of course you need two thieves ... one thief does not have enough points to cover all the bases. I like to make Imoen a pick pocket expert -- detect illusion is also good for the second thief. Give her seven levels of thief and then eight mage; she becomes quite powerful; good spell casting support, backstab, and she'll fill the coffers.

I hate Alora ... if only there was a way to SHUT HER UP! On the other hand, Coran is great.

11. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Really? Alora is one of the few halflings I've ever been able to tolerate. Killing her for her lucky rabbit's foot brings me no pleasure.

You're wrong though. At 10th level, a single thief can pickpocket, unlock, disarm, and backstab just about anything. The only thing you can't cover is detect illusions, but there's not a lot of those in BG1 anyway, and dispel magic usually works just as well.

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's Wisdom that keeps the thief alive. Intelly that helps him decipher the complex lock. ;)

Coran is by far number one. He gets extra bonuses because of Race and Higher Dex. Plus a bonus to THACO because of his race to L or S Swords and Bows. Plus he is a bow master and can utilize Str potions and Composite Long Bows. He is a monster by end game. Immy only compares when dualled to mage. Otherwise she maxes out quickly and becomes a bore.

But all of the the thieves are entertaining enough and good enough to cover your thiefly needs. Even Tiax, my favorite character in the game. I mean come'on! Summon ghoul is awesome! :D

---------- Added 0 hours, 3 minutes and 55 seconds later... ----------

Not if you are using SCS. Illusions become a factor, depending on your install choices for enemy mages.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Key phrase: at 10th level.

You're not 10th level for a while in the game (near the end) and having a second thief during a majority of that is really helpful. On the other hand, you don't need another mage until later in the game -- so waiting to dual is a win:win.

For halflings ... Monteron is awesome; a perfect evil backstabbing thief. His voice set is fun and he has Xzar (who is one of the funniest characters in the game). Alora is just annoying ... her voice is like nails on a chalkboard and the constant "positive" attitude makes me want to hit her. And I almost always play a good alignment. I really wanted to like her, on paper she was great -- but in practice she's just too irritating to deal with.

14. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't see why. Aside from a few locks in random houses that I couldn't open instantly because I decided pickpocketing would yield more loot (it doesn't, really), there wasn't any single check I couldn't succeed on from lvl1 to lvl10. At 10th level you're simply good at everything, rather than just proficient.

Wisdom helps them keep their mouth shut, which is definitely a skill worth having.

He makes for a decent archer, but both Imoen and Alora are better thieves, and Imoen can keep up with Coran in combat so long as you give her a Strength boost. Alora is only marginally in the lead because of her rabbit foot, but she's not really someone you'd want to keep on the front lines (unlike Imoen). Imoen also has the added benefit of being with you from the start.

Speaking of ghouls, I've always felt bad having to put down Korax. I might make a minimod to add him to the party. You'd need to eat little kids or street cats to keep him fed though, just to spice up the gameplay a bit. :shake:

That's true, but arguing about modded games is kinda pointless.

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    . . . wanders in, looks around, notes the steady BG1 commentary, checks the street sign, sees Random Babbling, scratches head, wanders out . . .

16. Ofelix

Media:
    Quite right, sir. Let us now babble of things odd and purposeless !

I like the color green, always had always will. Dunno why really, I think it reminds me of forests or something. Plus green eyes are the sexiest awesomest color anyone can have. Unfortunately I've got brown eyes... quite common 'round here.

17. Blades of Vanatar

Blue eyes here. Funny thing is, they never did me much good with the chics, but all my girlfriend's mothers throughout the years seem to comment on them. Probably why I am making some side cash working down at the senior developments....:p.....ewww.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  18. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:

But on the other hand, it's quite 'normal' random to talk about RPG's and D&D on a site about RPG'S and D&D. :D

19. Ofelix

Media:
    Darion casts LOGIC I
    Flix saves vs rhetoric : 3+5; fail.

Well played sir, well played. :p

Btw, I just found that on 'em interwebs, it's quite awesome.

He is everywhere,
    In the heavens and Earth.

He makes the stars shine,
    yet He cannot be seen.

He is noble, abundant,
    and fills the universe.

He can lift you into the sky,
    and bring you gently down.

He can take many forms.

He can help heal,
    He can help kill.

He can create,
    and He can help destroy.

Praise be unto He.
    Helium.

20. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    My eyes were blue until I hit about 22 then they turned green...which was a bit odd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.