1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Thread 120

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Aug 4, 2015.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have a temp job that I need to be on site at 4:30pm but need to goto a depot at around 3:30pm. I'm going to miss dinner so I'm having a meal at 2:30pm and probably make a frozen pizza when I get home and call it supper.
    A late morning meal combining breakfast and lunch is called "brunch"
    Would that mid-afternoon meal be called "dunch" or "linner"?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    So, my house got flooded just after BG3 came out, on August 4. Worst floods in the history of our country, or at least several hundred years. I've been without non-mobile internet and TV for nearly two weeks as there was massive infrastructural damage in addition to housing damage. The house is 50 years old and has never been flooded, so I've never paid much attention to the fine print of flood insurance. Well, as it turns out, the default insurance coverage for this here is ridiculously low; if you get 10k EUR out of it you can consider yourself lucky as many insurance companies default to only 5k coverage. Needless to say, unless you only got a few centimeters of water in the house, the damage will far exceed this typical insurance coverage.

Anyone who's sent me anything in the last two weeks and hasn't received a reply, this is why. I'm lagging far behind on correspondence as I've been dealing with cleaning up the mess and destruction. Thankfully I've never experienced a house fire, but getting flooded probably ranks as a close second.

@Keneth were you impacted?

3. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    WoW! Sorry to hear that Tal :beer: Over here you have to get flood insurance depending on your zip code which always pissed me off because I lived on top of a hill! It would have had to be the end of the world for my place to flood and that would have been the last of my worries. Looks like the west coast is in for a good one today, I'm sure that will be the news for the week. I get to have catarac surgery tomorrow, so I'm not in the best of moods tonight either :(

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Our house is luckily also on top of a hill, so there was no flooding, but I was worried about potential landslides. Fortunately, there were no problems in that area, but I was half-expecting to find my house at the bottom of the hill.

The flat in Ljubljana wasn't affected at all. It's not close enough to the river, but there was flooding and sirens not far from here.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sorry to hear that Tal. And Hilary hasn't affected my area much; just a steady light rain...

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    OK, has somebody put some kind of sensor in my bathroom? EVERY time I've gone to the bathroom today the phone has rung with a robocall scammer.

EDIT:EVERY time today until they stopped calling after 6pm.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  7. WanderingInTamriel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This year of 2023 has been most trying...but it could always be worse. Took a long break from playing any of the Elder Scrolls games, but I'm starting to get back into them again. And the soundtracks (thank you, Spotify) never disappoint.

Now I just need to figure out what's draining my Luck stat...

8. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Worse here, I get as many as 20 robo-calls a day. I'm on the National Do Not Call list and I still get this crap. 9AM until 6PM every day except Sunday.

Sorry to hear about your flooding issue Taluntain I hope something works out.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It varies for me. Some days only 3, others 17-20. They seem to take at least one Sunday a month off where we don't get any, but otherwise Sundays seem to only get a few.
    The other day when I posted this we only got 17 (I counted). It's just that every time I went to the toilet they were calling. I'd like to give them a swirly. AFTER I use the toilet but before I flush.

10. WanderingInTamriel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This reminds me of one scam call that we kept getting spammed with a couple of years ago. It featured a sweet sounding older lady saying that she'd been trying to contact me about my car's extended warranty. Only, for some reason, she pronounced warranty as "war on tea." Why she or the call center for whom she works believes my car to be some sort of sentient belligerent against one of the world's most beloved beverages, I don't suppose I'll ever know.

But, it makes me snicker every time I think about it.

11. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Isn´t that obvious? Since the Boston Tea Party anyone in the US is - willing or not - in, in the war on tea. Just like in the wars on illiteracy, poverty, overweight and a lot of other stuff that some politician decides to warrant some drastic wording for.

12. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31

I'm getting a dozen or more a day except Sundays. I've even gotten a few on my cell. If I say anything while the robot is speaking it hangs up. I got foolish and got snagged by one that claims it's from medicare and you can get some free joint-support items. The one I NEEDED they refused to give me, instead they agreed to send me wrist braces I definitely don't need. They coach you to lie about all sorts of stuff and it seems if you talked to them at all they mail you the braces, I haven't seen a bill yet. The moment I realized I'd been scammed I called Medicare and detailed the whole thing - well before they mailed me anything, so hopefully MC will refuse to pay, and I know I will. They cannot make my credit rating go any lower so heck with them. If they want their overpriced junk back they can send somebody to collect it. I won't pay postage to mail it back. I doubt that the robots would be impressed by the dirty swirly's, but I'd love to get the jerks who write these things.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    • War on Drugs
    • War on Cash
    • War on Crime
    • Class warfare
    • Battle of the sexes
    • War on Terror
    • Battle of the Bands
    The War on Poverty they aren't taking seriously, just talking during Election Season with no useful action. Only posturing. Don't forget how the bureaucracy is deliberately inefficient, and painful to navigate or fill out to discourage the poor from using the programs designed to help them.
    Incidentally, the tax forms are painful and time consuming to fill out by design, President Regan himself said "Taxes should be painful" when I was a little kid and set them up that way. Heck, the Republicans under tRump even took it a step further by dropping the simplified 1040EZ form and forcing everybody to use the full 1040 to increase the pain for the people with the simplest taxes.

Actually, now I'm thinking of this scene from Hellsing Abridged:
    Hellsing Abridged Major's Seech at 15:30

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
  14. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31

A politicians only real career duty is to prove that he needs to keep his job. And as gullible as most of us are; if a politician told us Oxygen was harmful to our health and it needs to be eradicated - 99% of us would believe him and happily support him - "because he's helping us." When I vote I don't vote party lines; I follow the May West theory of choosing between two evils; "I pick the one I haven't tried before" and vote for the new guy that wants the office. Mostly because he'll spend so much of his time trying to figure out what to do and how to do it that by the time he figures it out most of his tenure is gone; and partially because one of the things he'll decide is to try to rescind as much as he can of what his predecessor did. Today's politics, at least here in the US, is all decided by a handful of popular touch-words that everyone in their party is utterly convinced matter; so all they have to do is blather about those words and they are in. Unless the other guy blathered about his parties touch-words even better. We need government because it provides social stability; but we don't need a government that serves no purpose except to stay in office, and do as much damage to the other party as possible.

15. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Today's politics?
    That was politics in the 19th century as well. Different words and things to fight over, but the same crapola.
    Remember "16 to 1 free coinage!" from history? How about how Slavery took the place of abortion? Tariffs were a hot issue as well.

16. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31

That's true; but I was only focusing on the current group; they've been especially vitriolic the last few terms. "Members of the other party should be institutionalized until they can be reprogrammed" was a phrase I heard from one insane politician give or take a word or two. But yes it's always been a part of American politics. But I have to wonder if it's really different anywhere else that has a political party system?

17. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I think the "Impeach Obama" and "Impeach Biden" has gotten nuts. I do recall Clinton's impeachment, but not an "Impeach Bush" (either come to think of it).
    Trump, well, I actually thought he should have been kicked out of office for Jan 6, possibly the first impeachment too but I didn't follow it closely enough to have an informed opinion on whether or not it was valid or just politics and "trumped up" charges (pun intended). I'm just surprised they haven't filed charges relating to the first impeachment, as double jeopardy is specifically excluded from impeachment proceedings. That lack of charges suggests to me that the first impeachment was for politics rather than actual "high crimes and misdemeanors".

18. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31

I remember there being "Impeach XXX" for nearly every president since I was born. The party that lost always starts that. It may get more or less public attention though. Especially when media neutrality is a farce like right now.

19. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I just can't wait to see a president running for president under impeachment. Pure Awesome :beer:

20. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31

That very well may be next pres election if things go the way they seem to be heading.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.