1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #45

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Blackthorne TA, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Hmm... Close, but no shiny ones. :(

I was assuming a conventional model of the universe, which implies that time does have a beginning at the Big Bang (or moment of divine creation, chev).

In trying to formulate a theory of Quantum Gravity, some wags tried to calculate a wavefunction for the Universe, instead discovering that it doesn't exist. Is this what you were referring to, Fel? :D

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I can explain the 0 dimensions thingy, I love stupid logic (plus, I have nothing better to do right now). The more you stretch something, the thinner it gets. The universe is so stretched that it barely exists.

:p

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    ... I was under the impression that I had babbled. 0_o

:bang:

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No, it's much more metaphysical than that. :p

The Universe, as an idea, occupies no space. :D

5. The Magpie

This is also true of some supermodels.

EDIT: Curses! My first thought was "well, a concept has no space" but I thought that the kitty wouldn't be so obscure. I should really know by now that he's sufficiently :nuts: to pull that off...

6. Arabwel

Media:
    Does that mean that the Universe is butter? and oif so, what is the piece of bread?

And... who is eating it? :eek:

7. The Magpie

@ Ara:</font>
    1. More like margarine
    2. The Space-Time continuum
    3. The Americans :p

8. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Isn't there a string theory that says the universe is 9D or something? I saw a documentary about it once that explained it , can't remember any of it though.

9. The Magpie

Well, String Theory would allow for anything with up to 26 spacetime dimensions, 9-d is the "simplest". In any case, whoever decided that the way to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity was to keep adding dimensions until it worked must've been smoking some serious reefer. Sometimes, the way theorists' minds work is lost to me. :nuts:

EDIT: and in case anyone is wondering where the other 22 dimensions are, they're all curled up really small and can only be observed in ultra high energy collisions. Apparently, this also explains why the Universe is much larger than it ought to be, because after the Big Bang, all cosmos would have been unfolding according to String Theory rather than conventional GR, thus explaining how the cosmos attained the size it is without anything having to actually travel faster than light, which is what conventional models predict.

10. Felinoid

Well, we just get so excited by the theories that we can't think of anything else, and then... we need a federal grant to keep thinking and not have to go to work. :grin:

11. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Aah, thanks Magpie.

@ Fel: Thinking is hard work. ;)

12. Felinoid

No, the hard work part of being a theoretician is proving to the grant review board (or whatever) that you're actually doing something besides sitting on your ass saying "Hey, that would be cool." :shake:

:( I gotta leave for school now, and that means I'm gonna miss the opening of the new RBP. Drag. :cry:

13. Arabwel

Media:
    Awww, poor Fel *pets*

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

/me hops in TARDIS and escapes all the talk about dimensions

15. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    @ Fel You can solve the universe question but you can't solve how to keep your perspective hamster Boo alive amongst a herd of cats?

-btw I know it is not technically a 'herd' of cats...I just thought it sounded funny

16. Arabwel

Media:
    Cat herding is a nigh impossible task. :bang:

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh? Am I the only one closing these now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.