1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #43

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Blackthorne TA, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

2. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Cool - I learned a new word today; thx Col! :banana:

And Kitrax? I was going to suggest hopping north of the border and get the eye surgery done much more cheaply in Canada, but the airfare from UT would probably end up pushing the cost GREATER than $3500! :aww:

I thank my lucky stars my only vision impairment is a vestigal astigmatism that has virtually no affect on my vision (cropped up in my teens, and just a year ago when I was 32 my vision test was much better than 20/20 unaided!). The wifey however, cannot drive anymore :( so I can understand the problems...

In other news, I've proven myself a Faithful Husband[tm] (also known as a broken, whipped, milquetoast ;)

Other Half goes to make supper, leaving me to fiddle on my PC. After a bit, I realize it's time for my semi-daily acid reducer tablet; as I get some water from the bathroom to wash it down, I hear her cry out...well, not exactly cry - more a cross between an 'whoa' and an 'eek'. I wonder if she dropped something, etc. so I go to find out.

Before I reach the kitchen, I am met by the Darling One[tm] and she asks abashedly if I could assist her with a sudden problem. I agree without question, follow and she tells me that she only freaked because "she didn't expect 'it' to be there when she closed the book." :hmm:

I discover what she means when I see the kitchen counter - its been humid today, and the window is open - supposedly with a screen in place (will have to check same for holes tomorrow). Sitting on the cover of her red-and-white cookbook is a honkin' big moth - easily over an inch long and dark brown. My Wonderful Bride[tm] has one chink in her armour - bugs. I express admiration for her fortitude, gently take the book to the back door and shoo 'Mothra' there outside to terrorise other envrions like Tokyo or sumtin' :)

And then she's all thankful and effusive over my coming to check on her, even though a) she's tougher than me in almost every other respect, b) it was more curiosity than concern, due to my knowledge of a). :heh:

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Where did you find her? :shake: Looks like you two are quite comfy with each other. ;) BTW, you could say "Better Half" instead of "Other Half" for some additional brownie points. :D

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    This Ofelix is verry drunk. Ia m hapopy with uit= though... The D&D game went we;l, My dwsrf druid is cool. Anyway I'm away I am very drunk.

5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Good for you ofelix! Enjoy it now cause in a few hours you are going to have one horror of a headache and possibly some nasea to boot. Unless you are a seasoned drinker that is.

@apathetic empath - I'm glad to hear that you let the moth go rather than kill it. I always let spiders and bugs go unless they are a real threat.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    @Tal, contacts are not an option for me. It's either glasses or lasers for me. :borg:

Well, my g/f and I went for round 3 of selecting a ring for me to propose to her with. Since she *knows* I am going to ask her to marry me, the deal is, she can only tell me which rings she would like from different companies and that way I can buy the ring without her knowing, and still surprise her when she least suspects it. :evil: Right now, she's under the impression that I'll be popping the question some time in January, but I'm actually aiming for November or possible early December. The hardest thing is going to be hiding the ring from her if I buy it sooner rather than later.

Anyway...I start my new job this Tuesday! :banana: :rolling:

7. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Aaah, my week at work is almost over, just a couple of hours to go. After that I think a few :beer: are in order and maybe some good single malt. ;)

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I present to you all a wonderous quote: "The only difference between the chaos of New Orleans and a Third World disaster operation, was that a foreign dictator would have responded better."
    :)

9. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Aah, time for the annual air show in our town. I hate it. Stupid military airport that's about 1 km away from where we live. Thank gods nothing happens on there anymore for the rest of the year. Except for the occasional Sea King flying out.

I'm sure those pilots have better things to do than annoying people that live in the vicinity and creating a possible crash massacre.

Also: my contacts hurt.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Was woken at 6 am by a vigorous game of shrewball under the bed. Swore, tossed the cat out, and went back to bed with the dead critter because it sdidin't make noise.

11. chevalier

Media:
    Aww, Uytuun. I know what you feel. I so hate such noise. One summer, I ended up with a lunapark opposite to the hotel and they were playing music so loud that floors were shaking all the time.

Sorry to hear about the contacts. Maybe you'd better go without for a day?

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I should prolly just change them. (they're soft contacts you're supposed to change them every month).

But you know me: laaaaaaaaaazy. :D

And say hi to Napoleon from me. ;) :D (I can almost see him sitting in his aquarium, high on his rock, overlooking the troops. :p )

13. chevalier

Media:
    Yeah, I know you. :D

Napoleon is having a late lunch and planning out the conquest of the balcony. ;) :p

/me dons the White Knight uniform (white military pilot trousers, white tropical shirt) and sets off for his class

Education is war! ;) :shake:

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Whose side are you on? :p

15. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    bad hangover... hangover worst thing everĀ­...

16. Dendri Gems: 20/31

Much as I despise humankind ;) - we do have one saving grace: The harmony that enfolds when we dance in unison. I am definitely in love with people dancing. :love: Got to adore a decent party crowd. Nothing compares...

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Got myself a brandnew laptop(Asus AMD Sempron 3000+ with 512 MB RAM) which will come really in handy for the errr Hogwarts school...

18. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

I'll do this in reverse order:

@Uytuun: *shrug* I like an airshow, but I've grown up with a lifelong fascination with flight (yet I'm an acrophobe - God/fate/Mother Nature has quite a sense of humor, huh?)

...waitaminit - did you say Sea King?!? Um, they're only ONE km away and they're flying old, obsolete, deathtrap, Seakings? :mommy: Uytuun? For my piece of mind, could you... like... MOVE - somewhere further away from that 'crash massacare' waiting to happen? ;)

(Seriously, Canada's lost servicemen due to crashes with that old make of helicopter - sheer age of the aircraft is the recurring cause, and then we had a big scandal about the aquisition of new choppers for are military :rolleyes: )

Anyway, hope they keep it relatively quiet, and you sleep through it. I grew up LITERALLY under the approach path of this town's airport - would step out on the back deck, look straight up, and read the call letters off the airliners' wings. I've since been innured to the noise, and now barely notice a jet airliner or prop military transport. It's like living near train tracks and getting used to the train's whistles/horns as they pass...

@Ara - :lol:

@aikanaro - :heh:

@kit - awwwww; nice compromise - keep the spontenaety and surprise, yet don't stick her with a ring she doesn't like. My then fiancee and I just went out and picked out a ring together; we're annoyingly practical like that.

@dragonfly - what, you want me to hold on to them for ya? Hungry? ;)

But seriously...*shrug* I've just got an affinity for animals - if someone owns a misanthropic cat that purportedly hates everyone and will attack if approached, I'll have the "big softie" curled up in my lap getting a nice rub from me before my visit is over.

Unfortunately, my appeal to animals extends to parasitic insects like blackflies and mosquitos-ow! *smack*- despite spending the bulk of this summer indoors, my arms and legs have plenty of bites and welts from those bugs. *scratch-scratch-scratch*

Heh - according to my parents, my 'oneness with fauna' is verifiable right to my infancy; when I was less than a year old, the family took a camping trip to Grosse Morne National Park. (very beautiful large almost 'wilderness preserve' on the west coast of Nfld - geography there is actually fijords akin to Norway)

Well, there's also bears on the west coast - mostly black but the occasional brown bear sighting, now long since faded away (they musta swum off to the mainland as the economy here went pud and people stopped camping)

Anyway; the family is sitting around a campfire one evening - I'm apparently playing with a couple of rocks - when a grunt and snuffling announced the arrival of a black bear to our site.

Everyone zipped into the tent, but a headcount revealed they'd left me outsite. (thanks, guys) I'm still 'tak-tak-tak' with my new toys, oblivious to any change in my surroundings. The bear sniffs around (for some food, no doubt) and approaches me.

Now my father maintains this is specifically what happened next: I notice the bear, give off a happy "GOOO!" or similar and thrust out my arms as if I've discovered a new plush toy. The bear sniffs me over to giggles, then licks my arms a few times (for the salt on my skin, no doubt) and then ambles off. I wonder of the veracity of this annecdote, but it does seem to fit with my later experiences with animals.

But back to the point - I don't smoosh bugs if I can help it:

a) they're usually not doing anything to me - and if I drive that housefly off and let it live, maybe it'll communicate to its kin to 'leave him alone' - whereas, if I kill this fly, its brethren are gonna come looking for it.

b) if you try to kill it and fail, you've merely agitated yourself AND the insect - in the case of a wasp or bee, that's gonna hurt.

c)I hate cleaning up bug guts - in this case, i) the moth was HUGE, and ii) it was on my wife's favourite cookbook

d) I like the birdies that sing in the trees outside even more - if I kill all the bugs around here, they'll go elsewhere for food. :(

So really, there's a lot of enlightened self-interest in my motives, I guess.

and FINALLY (whew - you guys got busy last night!)

@chev - we met...heh - online, naturally.

Regular posters to the USENET newsgroup {alt.fan.monty-python} when we just sorta started talking to each other. And we clicked intellectually and emotionally. I'd realized I loved this wom...er, 'person' without yet seeing a picture or speaking over the phone, and we lived about 2000km apart. I'd told her how I felt on the newgroup, in public, on a friday afternoon, when her internet access was limited to when she was on campus for her courses (and the community college was about a 1/2hr drive from her home)
    :rolleyes:

Then, a couple of months later; we'd exchanged letters and pictures, and talked via Mr. Bell's wonderful device - 1st call was awkward for about 10min, then we chatted amiably for three hours. I couldn't hold it in anymore; I typed up some ASCII flowers and proposed to her - again. online. in front of all our friends on the ng. AGAIN on a friday afternoon (what great timing I have, huh?)

We were gonna pull a dual-wedding: one online (maybe in an IRC channel) for all our online friends; then another later once we'd met for all our R/W friends & family. The 'monty-python' wedding never came to pass, but march 21, 1999 we tied the knot after co-habitating for a while to ensure we didn't tick one another off IRL.

*happy sigh of wistful reminiscence*

Thanks for bringing up pleasant memories, and I hope this made y'all go "awwwww" (and then go brush your teeth)

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That's the biggest Winnie the Pooh I've ever seen! :jawdrop: :love:

@Uytuun - Ya know, if you don't change/clean those contacts frequently, you can damage your eyes. Had a friend who got contacts and was 'laaaaaaaaazy'; she slept with them in. Then, one morning, she couldn't peel them off her eyelids! :sick:

@chev - Don't forget your lance. ----]---------+

I made a perfectly round cookie last night.

20. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

@kuemper - cool; hope it lasted. ;)

and here's a Carlinism:

I think someone could make a lot of money if they set up a little stand at the Grand Canyon and sold Yo-Yos with 500-foot strings.

(nah - rent 'em out...by the HOUR. :p )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.