1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #40

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Why do they call it the 'Philosopher's Stone'? It's the 'Sorcerer's Stone'! Do they call this website, 'Philosopher's Place'?!?!

F***ing idiots. :rolling:

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That party last night was off the hook! I ddin't get totally wasted until the end and a lot of my friends that I haven't gone out with in a while were there and some of them showed how HOT they could be outside of school :eek:

man, that was definitely a nominee for best party of the year.

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

We've only got about 120 people coming for supper tomorrow night. They start arriving any time after 11 am and usually leave between 6:30 and 10 pm...

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Kitrax - just because they decided that the American public was too thick to know what a 'philosopher' is doesn't mean that they were wrong in calling it that originally :p

7. Zurga Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

"Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis" Latin Edition?
    Apparently latin isn't as dead a language as I thought. I extend an apology to all the latin speakers on the site.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    phi·los·o·pher - N.
    1. somebody who studies philosophy: somebody who seeks to understand and explain the principles of existence and reality
    2. thinking person: a thinker who deeply and seriously considers human affairs and life in general

(i.e. some boring old fart that studies the bible and other meaningless crap - or the dude in BG2 that gets sliced in two in Trademeet)

sor·cer·er - N.
    1. wizard: somebody who is believed or claims to have magical powers

(i.e. the little twerp that needs a twig to cast magic.)

Just thought I'd share that with you. :rolling:

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Hey! I consider myself to be a philosopher, and I resent the implication. I am an interesting young fart who couldn't give a 'meaningless crap' about the bible. :D

EDIT: And with my 484th post, I have broken into the top 200 posters! Yay me! :banana:

10. Zurga Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Eloquently put.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

gotta get dressed soon. :/

12. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually, it tends to be theologians who study the Bible. Philosophers like to work from first principles, and explain things by pure reason.

Also, the Philosopher's Stone has been a semi-mythological object of alchemy long before Rowling wrote a book about it. No magic necessarily involved in its creation, as far as we know; there's no reason for the American publishers to suddenly dumb down the name to the Sorcerer's Stone. Besides, the topic of everlasting mortal life is a fairly philosophical one, don't you think? ;)

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

yerg, just bought my gf her bday present, a new pair of shoes. now i'm broke again :/

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have company down from NYC this weekend. Don't have much time to check the boards. Today we are off to the beach.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is the original British title of the book. However, the publishers felt that the majority of the American public wouldn't understand the reference to the philosopher's stone ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher%27s_stone ), so the title for the American edition of the book was changed. Justifiably?

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Lamely. They should have tried to educate those ignorant Americans, not dumbed it down :p

17. Felinoid

18. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

...well that was a bad idea, didnt leave the club till 4:30 in the morning, got to a house party stayed till 7:30 (the sun is shinning again at this point and Im quite off my t*ts!), somone decides the night aint over and we all go to this club on the quiet until 10:00 in the morning, now I have to find my way home and I dont even remember my name... *sigh* I walk a bit till I find some sort of rails on the road, my brain explodes "TRAM LINES" I find a stop and get into town...

...11:00 I pass out after being up for 28 hours... or somthing like that...

...I woke up an hour ago... where has my beloved saturday gone? Im never drinking, smoking or dropping ever again...

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Well, we had to change *something*. American television has stolen all the good (?) Brit programming and simply changed the title. It probably was some schmo in marketing who thought 'sorcerer' sounded '2 kewl' and 'philosopher' boooooring! Or, 'philosopher' doesn't look right on the posters. Try 'sorcerer' instead. :cool:

20. Felinoid

I'm guessing it was alliteration: Sorcerer's Stone -> SS. (SS -> Sorcerous Sundries :hmm: )

[rant]
    I am sick and tired of those despicable Meow Mix commercials. :mad Don't they know the kind of filth they're spewing over the airwaves? Me*w *eow m*ow meo* indeed! I can only hope that they pasted together the various sounds, because if one cat deliberately spewed such a string of profanity, he ought to be banned from television.
    [/rant]

EDIT: I know, Tal; I sell all of my extra stuff there once I hit Chapter 5. I just thought it was an odd coincidence. :D

[ July 24, 2005, 04:33: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.