1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #38

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

EDIT: Adblocking publicity removed.

[ May 27, 2005, 21:32: Message edited by: Rhetorical Question? ]

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @DHB: Café, une jeune fille et une certaine imagination, de qu'on a-t-il besoin? ;) How about some ice coffee in a tall glass with a straw?

[ May 27, 2005, 19:43: Message edited by: chevalier ]

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I got them to remove the ad, it was pissing me off as well.

Btw Rhetorical Question?, thank you for robbing SP of even the few cents of support it'd otherwise get from your visits. Of course, I can't prevent people from doing it, but having people brag about it here is just plain bad taste. You know, kinda like walking into a store every day, taking whatever you want, and walking out the door without paying. Then coming back in and telling everyone else how to do it.

If you want to get rid of all the ads on SP there's a legitimate option for this - get an SPS account, and help the site in the process.

4. Arifirh Gems: 10/31

Regarding ad blocking software-

I was under the mistaken impression that this software did nothing to harm the sites or deny them the support money from the advertisers. I did not know how advertising, or adblocking software, worked, and it never occurred to me that it could stop SP from receiving the advertising money :( - I was horribly wrong, and have now uninstalled the plug-in.

It was in total ignorance of the harm I was doing I posted about Adblock, against which I had to this day never heard a word against. I had thought the software only stopped adverts from being displayed in the browser, while they still registered as being technically 'there' - if it had occurred to me that they were interfering with the site, much less robbing it of money, I'd have uninstalled it much sooner.

I can only offer my apologies and my assurances that any ad I see on SP from this day on will be religiously clicked upon, and I'll buy nothing on Amazon outside of the SP link.

5. Misantrophe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i had to borrow money from mom this month :nolike:
    is roadrunner faster than sonic? :spin:

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The whole point of ad blocking software is to repress ads completely. Nothing loads, and you're surfing sites at their expense. There's nothing specific about any ad blocking program; they all achieve the same result (no ads loading), only the ways used to get there are different. In an ideal world the ads would still load, but you just wouldn't see them. But that's not what happens, unfortunately. The people who make ad blockers are not concerned with the fact that every ad blocker translates directly to stealing much needed advertising revenue from websites.

And there are other ethical issues involved. I consider software that deliberatly alters ANY part of my site's content (ads included) to be tampering with my site's content without permission. But I guess this doesn't concern the people who make ad blockers either.

I can easily believe that many people who use ad blockers don't realize that they're hurting the sites they frequent by killing all ads. So a reminder that there's no such thing as free lunch is in order every now and then. When you surf SP with an ad blocker, you're surfing directly at my expense even more so than usually (ads don't cover all the costs of running this site anyway). So please keep that in mind.

P.S.

Don't "religiously" click on ads. Advertising providers discard all such click-fests, so you achieve nothing by it. Just click every now and then on what interests you.

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I know that I myself only use my add blocker to stop the pop-ups that make more pop-ups, but I'd never use it on SP. Not that I need to, but if I am not logged in on SPS at the time, I let the ads load and sometimes click on them to help the site.

Just remember, the best way to get rid of pop-ups on SP is to donate and get an SPS account. Everybody wins.

8. Arifirh Gems: 10/31

By 'religiously' I meant when I see them - once per page can't be discarded can it?

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    everything BUT my jaw hurts.

*headdesk*

10. Gro'Mul Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Damn! A hot day today! 34 degrees Celcius here in the Netherlands. As a Postman its actually a rather pleasant experience: NO RAIN for a change! Whoopee!

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Once per page would definitely be abnormal behavior, and certainly noticed. Even 10 clicks a day coming from the same IP would probably be considered an abnormally high click-through ratio. People just don't click that much. If they did, Internet advertising would definitely be much more attractive to advertisers.

12. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

@ Aikanaro

Where did your hair go?

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What a rainy Saturday this is turning out to be.

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I shopuld bnopt breed. Someone please tell that to my ovaries? *Sigh*

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Um, not sure if talking to ovaries is really my place.....

:mommy:

16. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hi! My second RB post, second page, I wonder if that means anything? Umm, lessee... 38= 3 from 8 is five and 3 again is 2? This numerology stuff is making my head hurt. I hate math. OOH! 3+8=11,
    1+1= 2... Oh darn, that means I will die before 2 centuries have passed. Darn. This is the 21st post on this page, all these two's can't be good for my future. Anyone know anything about numbers and fortune telling that cares to put my mind at ease?

17. Harbourboy

The numbers don't lie.

18. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well, Ravynn, you know what they say: "Two much of anything is a bad thing..."

Yah, the above joke was a bad thing too.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

el timtor - the horrors of having a haircut :p

20. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

you know, I never really pay attention to the ads. I have multiple windows open at any given time, and am on to the next while this page is loading. I find it makes better use of the time, even if it does slow things down a touch (Dial up access doesn't help either). I don't mean to rob you, but I haven't had the money to buy a game book in about 2 years. Since then there's been 2 to 3 grand in dental bills, a new computer, an X-box, a vacation and now Chiropractor bills...

Anyone with spare money after donating to SP can donate to me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.