1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #38

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

awesome. where's that from? im assuming its taken from somewhere and not an original :D

3. Dranalis DeAealth

It's actually the motto of the Addams Family. :D

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

no kidding? :/ which movie? or is it from the cartoon :p

anyways, bed for me all. night.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have too many loose grapes. They're just rolling around like a game a marbles. Hungry hippo comes to mind....

6. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

/me puts on his Latin hat.

Dranalis, it actually reads something like "Thus, may we now feast upon the big toes cast up from below."

That's allus, alli (rare) - big toe.
    Gorgiamus seems to be made up, but gorge/feast looks fine :square:

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *snicker*

Hail and well met, DDA :D

I refuse to give out a bastardized verion of the FAI greeting....

And damn, I almost had a heart attack when i saw that portrait *sigh*

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Err, excuse my ignorance, but what does FAI mean? :confused:

And welcome, Dranalis, to the RBP: truly, the promised land of spam for all! :grin:

9. Dranalis DeAealth

@RT - You sure? My Latin is simply awful, but I'm not so sure that's entirely accurate. (Bearing in mind allos as opposed to allus.)

I've done a check on this, and it seems to be okay. (Wikipedia and Answers.Com, albeit not the most reliable sources in the world, give it the thumbs up, as well as plenty of other such sites.) If not, it must be one of the most overly-used phrases of bastardised Latin on the internet.

If it is garbelled then I'm relying on people's fellow ignorance of Latin to cover me. :cool:

10. Arabwel

Media:
    DDA; Chevalier should be able to tell you just how correct it is, soince he is the resident Latin geek :D

@ The Magpie; FAI = The Friendly Arm Inn, aka #sorcerers, the official SP chatroom.

11. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

'Fraid it is just pretty-sounding Latin that they tagged a meaning onto...

There's nothing wrong with a bit of bastardised Latin, and it's a nice trick Pratchett uses a lot (He calls it Latatian, e.g. "Sodomy non sapiens," Buggered if I know). It just gets confusing if you try to transliterate it...

In actual Latin, I'd guess at something like libenter devoremus quos nos subigeant.

And if you want to know all the boring details of the original phrase...

allos is the acc. pl. of allus, alli (n), big toe.
    subjectatos is the acc. pl. past participle of subiecto, subiectare, to throw up from below.
    Gorgiamus doesn't exist, but would be a present 1st person pl. jussive subj., so "May we / let us (gorge)"
    Sic is thus, and nunc is now. :square:

12. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Wow. I just came to complain about work, not discuss Latin. :D

P.S. Welcome Dranalis. :thumb:

13. Dranalis DeAealth

Heh. I'll keep it because it sounds good, or at least preferable to 'libenter'. :D

14. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

BTW Dranalis, I guess that nobody above mentioned that this free-for-all is supposed to have a five post-per-page limit. Just so that you can't claim ignorance (that is my excuse :D )

15. Dranalis DeAealth

I pondered whether it would be worth replying to your point to acknowledge receipt, and thus breaking the informal rules yet futher, or not replying, and therefore adheering to the 'new' rule.

I eventually chose the former.

(btw, I'm not really new - I've been registered for a year, but I've only really got round to intensive posting in the last month or so.)

16. Arabwel

Media:
    *snicker*

20 mins and I should have quiche.

My diet is crying...

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I thought the max-5-posts-per-page rule was ditched, due to being unenforcable ... trying to stop Ara posting would be like going against the force of nature itself*! ;)

Anyway, now that the posts/page limit has been lowered to 25, it's not too likely to happen, really.

* i.e. Fine, until you get "Creeping Doom'ed" :p

18. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

/me blames himself for bringing the 5 page rule back into light yesterday

I didnt do it!

/me points at Tal

19. Dranalis DeAealth

Btw, Jaguar, I like your avatar. That chap looks to me like a kind of genial uncle who eats and drinks too much on top of smoking forty a day. Ace fellar.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The Magpie, http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html#acro

Dranalis, the unwritten rule (or rather written but forgotten) is not to have more than 5 posts from one person on one page of RBP. Considering the number of posts per page has recently been lowered to 25, this is more in effect than ever before. Having more than 5 posts on a page of RBP means that you're in desperate need of introducing to our chatroom. Which I suggest you look into, and cut down on the posts here. You don't need a new post for every sentence. Wait until you have some more material to post at once.

The rule is enforcable if I notice people doing it often, without me even looking for it.

[ June 17, 2005, 00:51: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.