1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #35

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Yup, I've read five of 'em as well as 4 of Bill, the Galactic hero ones... (Or was it Universal Hero? Translations, am afraid)

I love 'em... Jim is just too cool :D

And on a more random and less booktalkey note.... I have a blister the sizxe of two quarters on my heel. And it's rubbed raw.

2. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I might have to get hold of that series again. I've been wracking my brains and somewhere through the fog I remember "SSR Goes to Hell" being impressive out of all of them... and the first one being not that good. But this is uneducated former me talking... before I'd even read LotR. I could be very wrong.

What are these Galactic Hero books? I haven't heard of them. Worth reading?

Nice to hear about the blister :| Feet up with a good book I suppose? Just no poetry :)

On the subject of poetry (it *is* meant to be a random babbling post) I think that with plenty of effort, Mr. Poe's The Raven could be read terribly. Vogon-like pain. Knowing it's actually a good poem would just add to the torture :) I was thinking along the lines of switching between really strong regional accents each stanza, dragging out (all) the wrong vowels (or consonants? I'm sure it's possible) and of course, dramatic gestures. Perhaps doing one verse to the tune of The Macarena.

3. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Stop. Please. You're frightening me.

4. Arabwel

Media:
    Recite TOlkien's poetry from memory on a campfire - tah t can be painful, too.

And The Bill books are also by Harry Harrison :D

I've only read the fuirst 5 SSR books, tho.

And more randomness.... tortilla chips are good.

5. el timtor Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Mmmm...tortilla chips...

@Ara
    Bean dip, cheese dip, or salsa with the chips? Or plain?

Stainless Steel Rat is good, too. Been a few years since I've read those.

6. Arabwel

Media:
    Salsa. Chunky salsa.

Writing is goooood....

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Cold Pizza and sugary soda for me...

I'm in a Diplomacy game where most of the stuff is done in poems. Someone else saw that and asked me to share some poetry with them on the other site.

Later I threatened to read poetry at someone...

8. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31

TGIF....its been a great week. This is my first offical weekend to be legal. hehe. Watch out world!

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Legal for what exactly?

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just don't run across her car. :D

11. Arifirh Gems: 10/31

Gnarfflinger - First time I read that I thought it was 'surgery soda.' That worried me.

These new drinks, they'll do anything for attention. "Find the Golden Spleen under the ring-pull, and win a free appendectomy!"

Side-note: Surgeons actually tend to do simple operations like appendectomies in the mornings, to warm up. "A little out of practice Dr. Clark? I believe there's something to be lanced in Room 5."

New gem! Hooray - aside from no longer being labelled a forum newb, I've got rid of that Turquoise thing... and all of its memories of buying a 'Gem of True Seeing' from that illegitimate scum at Ulcaster. *Not* because I believed him in the least - but I pressed the wrong flipping key. *Grumbles.*

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hindsight. its a funny thing. I got my grades today. on a scale of 1-4, 4 being the highest and 1 being the lowest passing grade. This morning, I was expecting to get:

Literature2 4
    Religion3 4
    Ecostat 1
    Microeconomecs 1
    Macroeconomics 3.5

and I wasn't even sure whether or not I was going to pass Ecostat :sick:

My grades came out as:

Literature2 3.5
    Religion3 4
    Ecostat 2.5
    Microeconomecs 1.5
    Macroeconomics 3.5

I should be EXTREMELY happy, right? Well now all I can think of is how annoying it is that I missed getting a 4 in Literature by .1%!!! :mad: and my teacher wouldn't even reconsider. yeesh :rolleyes: Also, in our university, you can get on the Dean's List for the next term if you have an average grade of at least 3.0 and no grade below 2.0 so now I'm also thinking that since my average is over 3.0, if only I'd done better in my microeconomics exam and gotten a 2, I'd be on the honors list. Damn hindsight :rolleyes:

13. Arifirh Gems: 10/31

I'm guessing that Literature is an essay based paper - so can you not ask for it to be moderated/remarked? They very rarely go down any, and it doesn't seem fair for you to lose out on a top grade when in any opinion based subject the marker's mood can swing it something like 5% either way.

EDIT:
    Just adding an unrelated (and mostly incoherent) thought.
    I was trying to think this morning of a good random Pythonesque way to end "If you complain...". Imagine Graham Chapman in Victorian Englishman role:
    [something unfortunate happens.] "Well that's a damn shame. Still, can't complain. If you complain you ..."

...get rickets? ...won't live through Easter? ...have to have your appendix out?

[ April 15, 2005, 16:20: Message edited by: Rhetorical Question? ]

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Rhetorical Q

Yep, tried that. Went up to my teacher and asked her if I could get a consideration of .1% or a chance to try and convince her that I deserved it and she point-blank refused.

Anyway, I just saw Top Gun and I haven't seen it in what must be 5 years or probably more. It's definitely one of my favorite movies of all time :cool:

the moment I get a chance, I'm going to look for a cheap pair of avaitor shades :cool:

15. Arifirh Gems: 10/31

I think that she's trying to either keep your (or her class's, but less likely) average grade down deliberately... any reason for a personal grudge?

Top Gun... I seem to remember a good Van Halen song from that. Or was that Twister? There was definitely one in Twister: Humans Being.

Ha.. now that I remember it there's a funny story behind the music for that film. Eddie Van Halen always plays with his guitar tuned somewhere between E and Eb (for string-breaking reasons, and also laziness), and has Mike on the bass tune to him. So they recorded this track for the film; but they didn't know that there were going to be some orchestral pieces that were going to lead in and from Humans Being. And a full orchestra had to retune every instrument to Eddie-tuning so *they* wouldn't sound out of tune :D
    I'm sure they hated him afterwards...

16. Arabwel

Media:
    *snicker*

As it is, I feel rather perky and ebil.

TOrmenting characters is fun :D

17. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I feel drained. I know what will help. To the bar... :D

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Jaguar - you're sitting your law exams? That won't stop you feeling drained. I suggest a beer.

19. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The instructor for my doctoral seminar apparently liked the draft of the paper that I handed in. She also gave me some good feedback. I also got 92% for my participation mark, worth a quarter of my course mark.

If I do well enough in this seminar, I just might be able to exempt myself from one of my upcoming comprehensive exams. A third less work over the summer would certainly be welcome. :)

20. Arabwel

Media:
    Yay, go Beren!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.