1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #35

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I have an opinion. I hate early mornings and sore backs.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The book is The Shadow Kingdom by Cory Daniells, which is really a trilogy just thrown all in together - The Last T'En trilogy.

The US cover for Dark Legacy (known by some other name in the US...) is especially bad in the cheesy romance department :(

3. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Would anybody recommend 'Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy' the trilogy?

4. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Are you joking? :p I thought The Hitchhiker's Guide was manatory reading, especially if you're into sci-fi/fantasy. One of the best books I've ever read, definetly the funniest, think Monty Python or Pratchet (only really funny :D ).

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes - Hitchhikers rules.

6. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Back on the boards. For some how the big I didn't look that atractive the last coupel of days, I'm I becoming a more outgoing person? Scary...

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *snickle*

As it is, life is suclicious as susual.

But I blieve that I have Mysterious Cockroach Powers.

8. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Tomorrow I am getting my nipples pierced

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Jaguar, it's highly overrated and the literary value of it close to nil... still funny though. And you'd be hard-pressed to find another series of books where it's pretty much impossible to predict anything that'll happen next because Adams comes up with such unbelievable stuff in his books that you're left wondering just which dimension exactly did he come from, because it sure as hell wasn't ours.

But anyway, read it, you'll see what I'm talking about. I suggest you get the all-in-one version which contains all the Hitchhiker's books, because otherwise you don't really get any closure and everything seems even weirder...

10. Arabwel

Media:
    Got to love the world's only five-part trilogy :D

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I can't imagine anything less important in the greater scheme of my life than Britney Spears' reproductive habits.

Unless, of course, it's the ransom for that stupid rabbit. Make confit already!

12. Arabwel

Media:
    Ah yes, the rabbit.

I wonder if I should do the same thing to raise the huge amouint of cash I am currently short?

13. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Try selling your kidney. I hear that most people have two so you should have a spare one laying around somewhere.

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Almost finished the Arylin trilogy. She acted like a whore close to the end after being asexual all her life. How ironical.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah crap. all i have is the first book which i picked up in in a sale for the equivalent of USD .25 :/

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

You have to get the rest of them...

You just have to...

17. Arabwel

Media:
    I got a reference :D

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I got the first book a few months back. 20 pages into it and I just couldn't get myself interested enough to continue.
    Inter galactic bureaucratic road wideners!?! WTF :hmm:

19. Arabwel

Media:
    Do not diss the Vogons. We are scary.

and yes, I have been nick named "The Vogon" by some - I am THAT bad at recitng poetry :D

20. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is fairly unique. Reminds me of Voltaire's Candide just for the speed and randomness of it all - damn funny though. And as endlessly quotable as Spinal Tap :D

If you don't mind a few slightly self-indulgent ramblings (imagine un-edited Pratchett, with all the wandering wonderings that must go on in his mind left in) with a metaphysical/theological bent, it's heartily recommended. A warning though - it gets *more* obscure as you go on. Things happen with no reason, and little explanation. Book 5 is as hard to understand as Terry Gilliam's animation, and scarcely less weird. But the ending of it all... at once infinitely disappointing and exactly right.

Moving along a step: Has anyone read those Stainless Steel Rat books, by Harry Harrison? I seem to remember being hooked on them 7 years back, but little else. Snatches of story here and there. Got them out of the school library - no rereading unless I find them again somewhere :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.