1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #29

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

We had our first snow this morning. Past time to get the Canna's in and plant the Broad Beans.

To quote (prob. badly) Alexi Sayle

Flash my headlights in your mirror
    Ho-hum, just had an Orgasm.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Oh good grief, I have been asked to do just about the most pointlessly stupid task that I can think of.

One of the things that I have been providing my office via my various sources in a spreadsheet with the daily Canada-U.S. exchange rates going back to 1986.

The senior partner (he whom is ancient, virtually computer illiterate, worships paper and considers electronic data to be the work of the Devil :rolleyes: ) has asked me to compile and print out for him a list of the monthly average exchange rates going all the way back to 1986.

First, given that we have daily rates available those are the ones that we should be using.

Second, even if we were going to be using monthly rates for say a large volume of data such as sales, I can see no reason why we would ever need anything more than the last couple of years. In the odd event that we did need something older, it is not as if it is difficult to get a spreadsheet to calculate an average for God's sake - I did it in front of him and he could see that it only takes a few seconds per average.

Third, he doesn't do any actual accounting anyway and he has never used such data in the past, so what the hell does he think he needs this for? It is blatantly obvious that he has been asking me for any stupid little thing that he thinks I can do on the computer that he doesn't know how to do himself - which would be virtually everything. You would think I was the only person in the office who actually knows anything about using a computer.

Fourth, if it is in a spreadsheet you can easily do a lookup on that table from another spreadsheet - instead he wants to have to locate his hardcopy and manually look up the rate and then have to punch it into the computer.

Fifth, time goes on so every month there will be another entry that should be added onto the end - is he going to want a new hardcopy every month from now on?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

There, there poor JSBB, I'm sure he just wanted to play a small, practical joke on you by making you print a mountain of paper. Simply return it by delivering the paper and asking him to fill them out in the "good old way." :D

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I am a talentless hack.

I used to be GOOD at this,, now I suck... I am a really, really bad wriiter :(

5. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

*hugs Ara*

Just got back from the birthday party of one of my housemates. Her 21st birthday :D Much consumption of alcohol was had, and what a wonderful time it was.

Mango daquiris are very good. :roll:

Now to get back to writing that essay.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I wish to take a moment to mention some comics, converted to movie media, that have been done well.

1. Rocketeer (my God, the soundtrack, the acting, everything)
    2. Van Helsing
    3. Underworld
    4. X-Men (1 or 2 cheesy parts, completely stomped and vaporized by everything else in the entire movie; pure outstandingism)
    5. Superman

That's all that come to mind, immedietely, but there are likely others. Van Helsing, rightfully, is comical; not the serious Professor Van Helsing of the comics, nor the movie "Dracula", being the part which is played by a very talented Sir Anthony Hopkins.

If you are going to take a video game, or a comic, use these movies as your reference material. If they had their entire camera crew chewing coca leaves down in the basement all morning long before shooting, then that's what you need to do on your film. If they had the wardrobe creators running naked through Central Park on a cool day, that's what you need to be doing; get to running.

7. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

HellBoy is a fun movie.
    Much better than Alien Vs Predator.

HellBoy would kick a Predator's ass.
    Let the debate begin.
    Just kidding.
    Shoot me now!
    Please!

8. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

/Bang!
    Well Arabwel, you now have the lucky post number of 3333. Means you can't post for fear of ruining it. :D

9. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

yes but she'll have to post to tell us how the walk with the kittens went :)

10. Arabwel

Media:
    I will take them to a walk todaty, or possibly tomorrow; I am getting them used to the harnesses inside first :D

Lai; I prefer lime daiquiris... or strawberry ones :p

11. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Hmm, have to study German all weekend long, however, Sojourn arrived yesterday. Dangerous combination.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yay, someone wrote another scene for the SP Soap Opera! About bloody time...

13. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Allright today was fun :p I that was only at work! I feel possibilities! :banana: (Speaking of mood swings :|)

14. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Snow rules :grin:

15. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

I'd rather be :sleep: right now, but I have to write this essay from hell that's due on Monday.

What do people here know about why Egyptomania started?

16. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Wednesday, July 25, 1798

Napolean entered Cairo, on his way to building a global empire.

The French looted the Rosetta Stone along with other treasure. The English aquired the loot (with menaces) from the French.

Jean-Francois Champollion translated the stone in 1822 opening to door to the understanding of Hieroglyphics.

Once hieroglyphics could be read the history of Eygpt could be read from tomb walls. Teams of tomb raiders, treasure hunters and grave robbers decended on Eygpt, stripping the tombs and selling the contents and wall friezes as novelties in Europe.

Tomb raiding became a respectable pastime for bored aristocrats during the 1800s, in both their native countries and abroad. A great deal of archeaology was destroyed during this time and is lost forever.

In 1922 the The tomb of Tutankhamen was found by Howard Carter and the Earl of Carnarvon in the Valley of the Tombs near Luxor. The solid gold mask of Tutankhamen sparked renewed interest in all things Egyptian.

Currently the Egyptian government talks about preventing the removal of artifacts from tombs while bribery and corruption ensures a steady stream of grave goods are available at a knockdown prices.

There have been some really good programs about this on TV.

Also available at an international 'fence' near you are the contents of the Baghdad museum .

'The Incredibles' is an incredible movie. Mr. Incredible would kick Shrek's green butt.

[ November 20, 2004, 19:31: Message edited by: Black Beard ]

17. Arabwel

Media:
    *giggle*

Shrek rocks.... :D

I think I am getting somewhere with my stupid evil scene thingy...

18. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

:D Thanks Black Beard.

A lot of that is actually going to be in the essay, but I need ot find a way to expand the information and find enough resources for an 8-16 page essay.

I really hate this. :bang:

19. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

change your margins to 4 inches and use font size 24 :D

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I fianlly got the good news! From Dec. 6th to Dec. 17th, I am going to be in Arazona for my training as a manager for Clod Stone! Weee! The problem is, as soon as I told my g/f, her only response was, "You're not takeing the computer with you!" How rude is that! Not, "Oh honey, I'm going to miss you!" :grr: Two weeks without a computer!?!? :rolling:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.