1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #22

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Aikanaro, rest assured, it's the first thing on my "to-do" list.

Grr.. Why when I get my hands on... *goes off grumbling incomprehensibly punching fist into air*

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ooooh, suspense and intrigue. :D

Why does Kitrax have to die? :hmm:

3. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Splunge, there are some instances in life when a person makes a decision, and as a consequence of that very decision much pain and torture is brought unto them.

Take, for example, a father with a two-year old child that wants to watch the Tellytubbies. The father decides to let the child watch said television programme. Therefore the father, by allowing the child to watch four distinctly coloured humanoids (one of which is questionably gay, no offence meant to anybody) engage in various "educational" activities while promoting horrendous English to the targeted adolescent audience, is exposing himself to permanent brain damage and possible deafness, blindness and a myriad of other illnesses.

As you can see, bad decisions can make one's life take a turn for the worse. In the same way, Kitrax, by deciding to be represented by a certain blue-skinned character from Icewind Dale, herewith referred to as Avatar, has exposed himself to imminent death, as Avatar was previously in the possession of yours truly, back after an approximately one year hiatus.

Granted, Kitrax might not have been aware of the consequences that the decision might entail but hey, tough luck.

Now Kitrax must pay. :flaming:

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Well today began my student exchange program right now I'm in Whitehorse Yukon... it's the most far away place I've never been in my life, I'm so tired too. Anyhow I took two plane one from Montreal to Vancouver the other from Vancouver to Whitehorse, so I flew above many of you, isn't that right Splunge, Jaguar, Djieff, Fearus?

Anyway it's a weird feeling knowing that I have crossed all the country.

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

OH. MY.

*cues Haydn's symphony #30*

6. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

yeah its the weekend and i have a soccer game on sunday, wish me luck.........cause im most likely going to need it :p

7. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Bye bye wisdom teeth...hel-lo new fat(ter) face!

Go codeine! And intravenous anaesthetics!... :p

:roll: Weeeeeee!!!!! :spin:

My jaw hurts...more codeine (errm...tylenol 3, with codeine that is!)!!

8. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

@Faerus:

Look at it this way, at least the dentist taking out the wisdom teeth didn't discover that you're deathly allergic to Valium partway through the procedure. That was loads of fun, that was.

9. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

That does indeed look interesting ejsmith

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The game itself has potential to be interesting, but somehow the combat sounds not terribly exciting...

And the name 'Dragon Age' sucks. It could be greatly improved by simply putting a 'The' infront of it.

11. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

LA CUCARACHA

Hello Carolina! hello Ernesto!
    allow me to introduce the cockroach
    the cockroach the cockroach
    can’t walk anymore
    because he’s lacking
    because he doesn’t have
    a foot with which to walk
    one thing I don’t understand
    grown men with Nintendo
    they play that all day long
    playing makes them happy

chorus

your name is Carolina
    and my name is Mr. Ernesto
    pleasure to meet you
    the pleasure if mine of course

------------------------------------------------

Well, translating La Cucracha into english just ruined it for me. It's true, ignorance is bliss, and I was a really happy guy. Ahh well...

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Coffee rules. I had digested my breakfast before really waking up, but obtaining a cup of coffee from the machine in the kitchen was my first more or less fully conscious act. :coffee:

I also rule. I mean, it's spring and all. Maybe I'm not currently having an infatuation, but hormones do their job. I feel like a young Greek god in bull form. Yeah, one more coffee.

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Coffee is seriously bad for you!

Although coffee is one of the most heavily researched commodities and studies have spanned decades, there is still much controversy surrounding its ill effects, or lack thereof, on health. Study after study is performed--often with conflicting results--and it seems there is always a new study out to discount the last one. Still, the average American adult consumes over 10 pounds of coffee per year, which amounts to a total of 2.4 billion pounds a year in the United States alone.
    It appears that drinking coffee may interfere with your body's ability to keep homocysteine and cholesterol levels in check, most likely by inhibiting the action of the vitamins folate, B12 or B6. Coffee has been previously associated with increased risk of stroke and rheumatoid arthritis. Studies have also shown that caffeine in coffee can raise blood pressure and levels of stress hormones, and if consumed in large quantities it can lead to heart palpitations, jitters and nervousness.
    With that said, coffee is clearly not the healthiest liquid to drink--the best choice is pure water--but coffee and caffeine are far less dangerous than fruit juice or soda. While I do believe that eliminating, or at the very least limiting, coffee should be one of your goals, if you are in the midst of other dietary changes, such as those outlined in my nutrition plan eliminating coffee can be put toward the bottom of the list, and you should strive to eliminate soda and fruit juice from your beverage list first.
    There are, however, some important facets of coffee that you should know before you have your next morning cup.

Coffee and Pregnant Women

Pregnant women should NEVER drink coffee. Caffeine is a stimulant drug that easily passes through the placenta to the developing fetus and is also transferred through breast milk.
    During pregnancy and in infants the half-life of caffeine is increased, which means that it will stay in your body, and your infant’s body, longer. Moreover, fetuses have no ability to detoxify caffeine.
    Research suggests that drinking more than 300 mg of coffee daily, or the equivalent of two to three 8-ounce cups, may increase the risk of miscarriage, birth defects such as cleft palate and low birth weight, although as I mentioned above I don’t believe that ANY amount coffee is safe for pregnant women.
    Even with moderate caffeine intake, when the woman experiences no effects, studies have found changes in both the mother’s and the fetal heart rate and blood pressure. Preliminary studies also suggest that drinking four cups of coffee or more per day may put the infant at an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Caffeine may also make it more difficult for women to maintain necessary levels of iron and calcium, which are especially important during pregnancy.
    It also appears that coffee consumption is associated with increased estrogen levels, which means an increased risk of breast and endometrial cancer.
    Coffee also has the issue of pesticide contamination, which is particularly harmful during pregnancy. You can read more about this issue below.

Coffee and Pesticides

Coffee is usually not grown in the United States and we therefore have no control over how many pesticides are sprayed on coffee crops. As such, coffee is a heavily sprayed crop, so drinking coffee is likely to expose you to a dose of pesticides with each cup.
    Pesticides have been associated with a number of health problems such as:

• Prostate cancer and other cancers
    • Parkinson’s Disease
    • Miscarriages

If you choose to drink coffee, drinking organic coffee might reduce or eliminate the exposure to toxic herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers. The only drawback is that the countries where coffee is produced probably have less control and monitoring for compliance to organic practices along with pesticide use. Another plus of organic coffee is that you will also be helping to protect the health of the people working in the coffee fields, as you will be helping to reduce their exposure to toxins as well.

Avoid Coffee if You Have High Blood Pressure, Insomnia or Anxiety
    Since coffee is a stimulant it will only worsen the symptoms of insomnia and anxiety and should definitely be avoided. People with panic or anxiety disorders may find that they are especially sensitive to caffeine and may find that even a small amount of the stimulant exacerbates their symptoms. Similarly, the caffeine will linger in your body for hours after you drink it, so it may keep you up at night even if you drink it long before bedtime.
    For those with high blood pressure, a general rule is that the more caffeine you drink in a day, the higher your blood pressure will be. So if you are already at the higher end of the scales, drinking coffee will only increase your blood pressure further.
    How to Wean Yourself Off Coffee
    If you try to stop drinking coffee “cold turkey” you will likely experience symptoms of withdrawal that can include severe headache, fatigue and depression. This can be avoided by cutting down the amount you drink gradually over a period of days or even weeks. It’s also important to drink plenty of water during the process in order to keep your body well hydrated.
    If you find that you miss your morning coffee-drinking ritual, replace it with a new tradition that will also boost your health and energy. Vegetable juice makes a great coffee replacement, and if you’re in a hurry you can try Living Fuel Rx Superfood. Both options will give you the energy boost that you’re looking for in the morning without the negative effects of caffeine.
    While you’re in the process of weaning yourself off coffee, here are some tips to reduce the chance of harmful effects until you can completely eliminate it:

• Use organic coffee. As mentioned above, coffee is a heavily sprayed crop, so drinking organic coffee might reduce or eliminate your exposure to toxic herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers. It will also help the people working in the coffee fields, as they will be exposed to fewer pesticides as well.

• Try "Swiss Water Process" decaf. If you are going to drink decaffeinated coffee, be sure that it uses a non-chemical based method of decaffeination. The "Swiss Water Process" is a patented method and is the best choice. Most of the major brands are chemically decaffeinated, even if it says "naturally decaffeinated" right on the container. If you are unsure of the methods, contact the manufacturer.

• Avoid sugar and milk. These are actually much worse for you than the coffee itself. Don't compound the detrimental health effects by adding milk or sugar to your coffee.

• Only use unbleached filters. If you use a "drip" coffee maker, be sure to use non-bleached filters. The bright white ones, which most people use, are chlorine bleached and some of this chlorine will be extracted from the filter during the brewing process.

By Doctor someone from a website somewhere

14. chevalier

Media:
    Decaf is the piss of daemons.

Right.

Typical chev blood pressure: 160/110

Typical chev hearbeat rate: 110

Typical chev going to bed hour: 4 am (getting up by 7 am)

Typical chev time distance between going to bed and falling asleep: 0.5-1 h

Typical chev mood: hasted, bloodthirsty and moderately paranoid (Californiac)

I rule, I rule, I rule. I unquestionnably and beyond all doubt rule. Have I mentioned I rule? I so rule. What? You say I don't rule?! I'm coming for you! :shake: :lol:

15. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know coffee is bad for me. So is a particular green substance that I quit smoking about a year ago. (Not exactly by choice) I quit smoking the green stuff. I figure that's enough.

16. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I've just watched four songs from the Eurovision contest ...

The countries:

Spain
    Austria
    Norway
    France

The only song i remotely like? Norway's one

17. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Just came back from seeing Troy, and I am of two minds about it. On one hand, it is an incredible piece of filmaking, but on the other hand, from someone who studies Classics, it is so disgustingly inaccurate. There are so many inaccuracies, I am unable to list them all.

I do recommend it, but at the same time, don't believe for a minute that it is anything like how the great Homer depicts the War.

Sorry, just needed to vent. I'm okay. Really.

18. chevalier

Media:
    Have you just said you study classics?

I used to, heheh.

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Hmm - this is post number 700 for me - I figured it will look as good here as anywhere else!

How's that for random?

20. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

@chev

Yep, I'm majoring in Ancient History and Classics with emphases in Linguistics and Archaeology. I know, I'm crazed.

What do you mean, "used to"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.