1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #20

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Ponder Point

How come it's called 'tourist season' if we aren't allowed to take shots at them?

2. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

in reply to the subject of "Troy" i really want to see that movie, and its not just because my name is Troy (thats partly the reason) but because it looks good.

anyway this is the first time i ever posted something on a 'random babbling' thread, so yeh.............. (just saying whatever comes to mind) ok i better not say that

ill just go then... :confused:

3. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Everyone who thinks I'm a pervert or something because I think Infested Kerrigan from Starcraft is hot/sexy/beautiful/whatever, raise your hand!

4. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] no offense Xei Win, i raise my hand, your a pervert, no offense. i mean come on, its Infested Kerrigan, she's this alien bug thing. not cool :nolike:

5. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

None taken. But hey, she's at least half human, plus she's evil... like me :evil: :p

EDIT: forgot a :p smiley.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

doesn't it suck when you make a cup of coffee with enough water in for 1 and then you put the milk in and it turns to bits :cry:

7. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmm...exams start in a week-and-a-half...I don't want to start studying until a day or two before they start...I've got nothing ELSE to do...hmmm, this is going to be a boring week-and-a-half.

8. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sarevok- it sounds like maybe you should go and buy some groceries

Jaguar, there is more than one way to take a shot at a tourist :evil:

9. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Something must be wrong with me today: I ate two pizzas and I'm still hungry... :eek:

I spent the whole day installing software on my new computer and I'm tired of it. Just a few more 'serious' programs and it's time to install the games! ;)

Maybe I'll even play some IWD to see how the new computer works, but only after some cups of nice, hot, strong coffee :coffee:

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wow, Sorvo just became the King of Spam on #sorcerers. What a colossal achievement. Well done, mate (is it something to be proud of? Not sure.....). Oh well: :thumb:

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Question - has Daylight Saving Time started in Europe? Because I've noticed that today the BoM show the time as 1 hour later than it really is here. (We are -7 hours, and I've adjusted my profile to reflect this.)

In North America, DST doesn't start until next week.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Apparently, I'm INTJ. My current target is ESFJ. Oh damn.

@Splunge: Yes, it does. 2 am became 3 am.

13. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Ho!Ho! I like it. It has brought to mind another modern day corelation. Forgive me if my facts are vague or just plain wrong, but I find this often helps when constructing a conspiracy theoryesque notion. ;)

Beware Greeks bearing gifts.

Now, it is common knowledge that Prince Philip of Britain is ex-Greek Royalty. This means that his son Charles is also of Greek descent. It is less well known that through Philipos' lineage, Prince Charles is related to Menelaus (through Menelaus' brother).

This I think goes some way to explaining why it was possible for a young arab, rich as any modern prince, to steal away the future Queen of England from Prince Charles, and why the retribution was swift and merciless.

14. chevalier

Media:
    Sorry to disappoint you...

But he's Mountbatten, which is an English version of von Battenberg, which is not really old royalty. Not even old nobility, according to my knowledge. So, while having Greek royal titles, they're not related to any old Greek ruling families.

...of whom some exist up to this day. I'm sure about the Palaiologoi, but not sure about the rest. Certainly, though, many houses in Europe are related to the Comnenoi. Some even have drops of the blood of the Macedonian dynasty (a ruling house of the Byzantine empire, not of Macedonia).

Plus, the Sparta of Menelaos was not the Sparta of the classical Spartans (the almost illiterate warmongers). The people were enslaved and the royalty most probably killed (none survived as royalty, anyway).

[ March 29, 2004, 02:31: Message edited by: chevalier ]

15. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I am very disappointed. :eek: :(

Next you'll be trying to convince me that Prince Phillipos is not really decended from Hercules , and doesn't really have any special Demi-God powers inherited from Hercules' dad Zeus. Treason! Treason I say!

16. chevalier

Media:
    Lol, it actually seems valid :shake:

But come on, it's far from straight male line. This way everyone who is related to an old European family could get there.

It basically follows this scheme:

Ancient Greek dynasties => Ptolemies, Seleukides etc => Roman vassal kings in Asia Minor and Balkanes & Eastern Roman aristocracy => Armenian and Georgian royalty => Byzantine aristocracy

Now, it spreads:

Byzantine ruling houses => House of Rurik (Ruthenian and later Russian dynasty) => various Ruthenian families => Russian, Polish and Lithuanian nobles

or

Byzantine houses => crusader nobles => back to Western Europe

For example, everyone with a Capetingian ancestor from St Louis IX on has imperial byzantine descent through Anne of Kiev, which most probably means relations with some of the "proper" Byzantine, Armenian or Georgian houses. The same goes for several German Emperors who married Byzantine Princesses, plus many branches of the Rurik rules of Ruthenian states. The nobles of Italian city-states also have a part here.

Technically, this would be all European royalty, most of the old French aristocracy, many English aristocrats, many Italian ones, most of the old families from the Balkanes (if any have survived, that is), some German families, some Russian nobles, plenty of Polish nobles. Plus, of course, everyone who is descended from his country's royalty after the point of a byzantine or crusader noble relation. This makes legions of people, of whom most can't be even mistaken for rich or powerful :lol:

Ultimately you have an emperor's daughter marrying a king whose daughter married a prince whose daughter married a duke whose daughter married a lord whose daughter married a less important lord whose daughter married a petty noble. Who is descended from the most ancient of ancient lines - in some way.

Come on, this way even I get there :shake: :lol: :grin: :lol:

[ March 29, 2004, 03:58: Message edited by: chevalier ]

17. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Hm... what happened ? Was SP down for a couple of hours ?

18. chevalier

Media:
    Yes, and I woke up right a little time after it was up again. What a sense, hahah.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Check SS for downtime info.

20. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Just when my spamming powers were at their height, SP goes down... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.