1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #14 - In Memory of Tobias

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Because other classes with geekiness, such as say, the rogue or the wizard, are just inappropriate for that idea.

The more I think about it, the more screwed up the idea of a geeky paladin seems.

Sorry.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I use INT a lot, In IWD2 I have a slight obsession of having all skills the highest they can be - in creation I'll keep going back and raising INT until I can get all class skills to 4, and any other skills I'd like to 2. :( I'm weird...

4. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Thats my main reason for not liking D&D. Every class only needs one or two high stats, so everything gets kind of stereotypick... Thats why I like the classless system of Fallout...

Oh well, another saturday spent at home in front of the computer. Should have been crashing a 18-years birthday, but my friend and connection to the party had to cancel. But hey, atleast I wont be doing any stupid things then...

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Some classes need more than two high stats, look at the paladin for example. They need wisdom for spells; chrisma for Turning and their leadership skills; intellegence for skills in general; strength for fighting, as they are a fighting sort of class.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Eh, classless systems are better than D&D, more freedom to do whatever.

7. chevalier

Media:
    I don't say it's not :D

Eh, and paladins as a fighting class also need a decent CON. Thus only DEX isn't all that important. Perhaps even 8 isn't bad. However, this breeds the artificial stereotype of low-DEX paladins.

My present PNP (eer, openRPG) pally is 14/10/10/14/14/15 ;)

It is, surprisingly, made after myself, but there wasn't enough points left to spend on DEX and the rest already had to be capped, so I left it at 10 :(

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Rotku: Pallies don't need intelligence. ;)

But, yeah, the Sorcerer's another example: needs good Dexterity (ranged touch attacks, Ref saves, AC), good Constitution (HP, Fort saves), good Intelligence (skills), and good Charisma.

9. chevalier

Media:
    It appears that you're only not screwed up with a fighter, a thief or a wizard and the last one isn't that sure.

10. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Actually, a sorcerer only needs decent Intelligence to get the spellcraft ranks. He has a rather good skill point progression, IIRC.

Intelligence always helps, no matter what class you are. A fighter or monk needs intelligence to qualify for certain feats and it boosts his dismal skill points. A thief or bard will certainly find intelligence handy to make him even more of a skill-master than he already is. Ditto for the wizard.
    Rangers and Barbarians too.

The only classes I see with not much use for intelligence are the cleric and paladin.

Paladin: Uh what do we do now?
    Cleric of same deity: Dunno. Me ask da big dude up there.
    *casts commune*
    Deity: Kill it! Kill it! Smite it 'cos it doesn't believe in me! I don't care if it's still a baby! It might become evil in the future!
    Paladin: Didja catch any of that?
    *drools*
    Cleric: Duh...I think da boss says kill it.
    Paladin: Uh...why?
    Cleric: Duh...dunno...thinking hurts...
    Paladin: Uh-huh...me too...
    *Paladin smites baby drow*
    *Cleric casts Flamestrike on goblin children*

And the forces of righteousness win again!

Hence, clerics and paladins don't really need intelligence. Religion makes a substantial replacement for intelligence.

Chev here breaks the stereotype of course.

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Not really. 2 + Int modifier. However, Sorcerers get a crappy amount of class skills anyways. The important ones are Concentration, Knowledge (arcana), and Spellcraft, and you can split the last two.

Really now. Fighters need good physical stats and a solid Wisdom. That leaves little room for Expertise and Improved Disarm/Trip, unless you intend on playing with a character using a flail, guisarme, spiked chain, etc. It's nice to have it, but I prefer Strength or Constitution.

Monks get 4 + Int Modifier skills. They can have free access to Improved Trip. I concede that Improved Disarm is a bonus, but Expertise isn't necessary for them. Monks already have great potential for AC, but always need to improved with Strength. That's why monstrous monks rock.

You must be thinking Wisdom here. ;) :p

I'm sorry; I must have gone a bit too far. But I love ranting about D&D. You almost made me go on a rant about how good people are actually good, and not actually evil, as some people might suppose them to be. Or vice versa.

12. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well we just watched the movie "Dream Catcher" and it was really good. I had lost faith that any Steven King book could be made into a decent movie.

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Thank you, Valkyrie, I was beginning to despair!

14. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I was a little disappointed with the movie myself, I felt they butchered the book a little too much for Dreamcatcher to be enjoyable for me.
    I just don't think they did Duddits any justice, the film didn't make me care about him the way the book did. Fantastic casting job though, for all characters.

15. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think its time we added some bleach to the gene pool.

16. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Why would you want to do that?

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

It would most assuredly be a grand idea, mayhaps it will get rid of those ugly stains.

18. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Why! Why?! WHY?!! Kazaa is so slow! Even though I have a high speed connection, it still need aeon to download something! Know any way to upgrade the speed?

19. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yup. Buy it in the shops. One moment you don't have, while a split second later you have. Way faster than any connection! Moral complaints aside, you do know it is also dependant on the connection of the computer you are DL'ing from? Don't have much experience with Kazaa though. Thought it went out of use a year ago.

Just to change topic, how do you cure an influenza in less than 24 hours? I'm supposed to go see "Kill Bill" tomorrow with my father, but the old geezer has ofcourse managed to get sick. I could ofcourse go se the movie on my own, but thats just a bit boring....

20. Alustriel a.k.a. Ashley Banned

The only problem with the gene pool is there's no lifeguard.

We rented two reeeeeaaalllyy creepy movies over the weekend: The Ring, and Willard. Willard was my favorite. Th Ring was okay too, but it lost the scariness after about 15 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.