1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #106

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Post 999... i vow to make it 1,000 by the end of the day (that would be in 23 hours 58 minutes or so)

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was poorly last night :( had an awful migrane

3. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

need breakfeast, out of everything

and need a job

4. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Wonder of wonders, joy of joys. over a month after I upgrade my internet and it's finally decided to download at over 30k/s. Now I'm at 300k/s. :banana:

@Silvery: Do you know why you had a migraine?

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ugh...I remember those. The wife dragged me to 3 different....conventions. I wouldn't call them a "fair" because that implies that they are fun. By the end of each one, my feet felt like they were about to fall off. :bad:

I love Spring DST! We got off an hour early, and still got paid for a full shift! :love:

In other news...I have sticky notes! Lots of them, and in different sizes too. :bigeyes: I'm thinking of writing "Put food in me" on one and sticking it on my belly to see how long it takes the wife to realize it. I wonder if she'll even get the reference. :p

6. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Kit, I had a stall there for my business. Trust me, standing and smiling and people while repeating the same sales pitch over and over for 4 hours is much worse than having to look round them!

Magister, apparently there's some bug going round and one of the symptoms is headaches. Unfortunatly, I always skip the headache and go straight to getting a migrane, I've been on medication for it for years

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If both customers and salespeople hate wedding fairs, why have them? :hmm:

:p

8. Silvery

Media:
    That's an easy question to answer...BRIDEZILLA's love them!

There was a woman there who makes wedding cakes out of cheese. Think I might have to get one for the night buffet at my wedding :lol: CHEESE!

9. Kitrax

Media:
    Companies want to push their products/services and folks planning a wedding need ideas, products, and services. It's a good place to get a good idea of how much you're going to end up spending for a particular product/service. Also, we had a classical guitarist play Pachelbel’s Cannon in D as Jessica walked down the isle...we met him at a bridal expo. Most vendors give free stuff away or nice discounts if you book them at the expo. I booked the guitarist, the DJ, and the photographer at one of the expos, and saved some serious $$$ by doing so. :D

10. Silvery

Media:
    A lot of us give discounts for booking on the day. I always give 5%

11. Kitrax

Media:
    Wow...you're a cheapskate! :p

The DJ gave us 15% off, and the guitarist gave us 10% off along with 3 of his CDs...and then on the day of our wedding he showed up 1 hour early and played some really nice and soothing songs as we were getting ready for the ceremony.

12. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    (from Rang et al: Rang & Dale's Pharmacology 6E)

It seems Boo is the "Resident Deity of Alcoholism", after all. :p

EDIT: LAL reagent (Limulus Amebocyte Lysate) for bacterial endotoxins is great - they catch American horseshoe crabs, perform coronary punction on the poor things, (the crabs survive though, it seems), cause lysing (destruction) of their circulating blood cells (amebocytes) and use the fluid to detect endotoxins (traces, even) in biological samples, medicines etc. (gel is formed on contact). The alternative is, apparently, an in vivo test with rabbits.
    The crabs use this clotting mechanism as a simple, yet effective defense against bacteria, fungi... living in the water of their habitat.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  13. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

One. F'N. Week. Off.

/whips out the booze

14. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Wait they want to mimic the crab natural defences and apply them to human or did I read that wrong 'cause I haven't got my coffee yet?

I love crab they're so tasteful, especially the Alaskan kind :yum: their legs can be up to a meter long ! Look at them walking sideway like they haven't got a care in the world! Crabs are awesome.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] It's weird to be back!

16. Loreseeker

Media:
    Not exactly - they merely use the crabs' defense system (enzymatically triggered gel formation - a cascade of reactions, something like the complement system in humans) to check if bacterial endotoxins are present as contaminants (impurities) in various products. Quality control, in a way. :)
    They used to inject rabbits with the material tested (injections, solvents, for example) and then waited to see if the rabbits developed fever (measured their body temperature).
    Having crab made reagent is certainly a step forward - it's even quantitative! (via turbidometry - measuring absorbed light, since the gelatinous thing is opaque, IIRC)

17. Ofelix

Media:
    Lore; you are obviously more knowledgeable than this humble Flix and correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that mice and monkeys had a genetic make up that resembles more the human's. Wouldn't it be more logical to test in those animals?

Also, I'm in Uni right now, despite the fact I enjoyed lazying around and procrastinating for a week, it somehow feels "right" that I, The Flix, be once again in a academia. I like learning and schools in general, sue me! :rolleyes:

Once again I will say this: Crab are awesome not only to they taste good they can help advance medicine? Awesome!

18. Loreseeker

Media:
    Flix, trust me, I'm not knowledgeable either. :)

It was a serendipity discovery, more or less. The genetic make up is of little importance - by a stroke of luck, this crab shows a remarkably similar reaction to endotoxins as mammals do.
    They are not using the crab blood components as medicines, merely as detection tools.
    Basically, they injected the crab with a solution of endotoxins and saw that its blood coagulated. Full story: Discovery of LAL reagent

ION - I made eye ointments today. Despite all odds it was kind of fun.

Oh, and I promise there will be no more crab posts from me :p

19. Ofelix

Media:
    Aww, but I like crabs! :(

20. Silvery

Media:
    I just had a total divvy moment. I emailed my wedding coordinator about menus and Rob was sat next to me. For a laugh I wrote OH MY GOD, I'M NEVER GONNA HAVE SEX WITH ANYONE EVER AGAIN! I meant to delete it before I sent it but I'm using a laptop and the touch pad is really sensitive at times so I ended up pressing send.

God knows what reply I'll get to *that* in the morning!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.