1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #106

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Wow, you really have no idea how inappropriate some of those reccomendations are, do you?!

I also lack access to a bath and have adverse response to sleeping tablets.

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Suggestions, not Recommendations lovely. Plus, as I don't spend my life loitering in your bathroom, I have no idea how you scrub your bits.

ION, I'm concerned as a person has to be either really intelligent or really stupid to understand Stephen Fry and I do.......

3. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

financial crisis is okay, it means that more people will have to get used to living like students. downside is that i know am unable to get a job while i have the time, it used to be like: hey kid want a job? great you started yesterday! and now it's like: sry dude we just fired a bunch of guys and i get fired tomorrow.

ION: there should be a full week international holiday to proclaim love for the internet

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    TCP/IP Day? HTPPmass? 127.0.0.1 Remembrance? Saint Router? That'd be great.

5. Balle Gems: 19/31

exactly, i will start mine in 3 minutes by then it is WWWednesday

EDIT:

happy World Wide Wednesday to everyone!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  6. Ofelix

Media:
    " WWWednesday " That is awesome! :lol: Why didn't I thought of that :bad:

Meh, should continue studying :borg: resistance is futile you will assimilate the knowledge!

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Does anyone here speak C++?

8. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    No more or less than any conversation outside the net.

@ Silvery - Have you studied herbalism or are you just interested in it on a casual basis? I've got quite a few books on natural medicine and often go on gathering excursions in the summer months. Nature does provide a lot of powerful medicines but you have to be pretty careful how you use some of them. My personal favorite plant is yarrow. I think the flower smells amazing (kind of like Vics vapor rub) and making a tea of yarrow is good for many things - except for a great tasting cup of tea because it tastes like yuck. :D

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I have vague memories of C++ from my first run in college...

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes. Do you have a question?

Loreseeker likes this.
  11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That's not proper coding... :p

I haven't taken that programming class yet, but IIRC, that should have been:

Code:
     do {
        if (know C++== yes) {          
          Answer  = ~respond;                  

Or something like that... :p

12. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Dragonfly: Just a passing interest. I studied massage a while ago and you hear a lot about homeopathy doing that.

13. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    There was a lecture on homeopathy at my faculty - don't get me started.
    No offense meant to anyone who uses it/believes in it (Use whatever helps you/works for you, would be my belief) - but it's one of a few things I have a negative opinion about.
    Despite the fact that the practice seems to have become widespread and has gathered a lot of supporters nowadays - or because of it - I must say that I consider it rather irrational.

Food time - hurray!

14. Silvery

Media:
    I'd rather go down the medical route normally but I think that your body does need a rest from medication at times. Saying that, most of our medicines came from plants in the first place!

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Carnival is over. I went out daily, from Thursday to Tuesday, sometimes twice a day, went with the parade, and I succeeded in being reasonably drunk every day - but I have to note my achievements, too: no hangover despite that; I still have a voice, despite the singing; I had moderate expenses and - I didn't catch a cold/flu! I officially promote myself to 'seasoned campaigner'.

One thing I have to say about carnival in Cologne is that this year I noticed an increase in tourists, who merely came to Cologne for a binge drinking spree. Colognians are perfectly capable to make an embarrassment out of themselves on their own. They need no outside support in that, but alas, it attracts the wrong company, and troublemakers. Some of those folks went on their 200++km trip to Cologne at 4am and started to drink themselves into a stupor then already. Thanks, but no thanks. That are guests I can do without. The trend right now appears that carnival in Cologne is becoming another big Oktoberfest (where only the outsiders drink from those gargantuan 2 litre steins - locals drink from pint-sized steins, so the beer won't get stale.) and I don't like it one bit. Of course, for the Altstadt pubs it's fabulous business. As if I care.

IMO the 'outsiders' lack the proper perspective on carnival - like some Colognians, no doubt - still, it's about celebrating carnival, and getting drunk in the process, not the other way around (even though, after a certain point, it is indeed a distinction without a difference).

In carnival here in Cologne for the locals (and that is my personal take on it) it is about singing in the dialect and celebrating themselves and their city - Kölle Alaaf means about Cologne before all others! Carnival, the parades, the street carnival in costume, the dialect and our local brew :beer: are all about tradition and local identity, and about having a blast. Colognians are a feisty, profoundly sentimental and at the same time fiercely patriotic bunch that is passionately attached to their city.

And of course, then there are the costumes: There are those idiots who simply wear an army uniform for carnival, just as if that was a costume. It becomes a costume and a parody when you make yourself Great-Grand-Super-Field Marshall :rolleyes: Anarchy, mockery and parody is what uniforms in carnival are all about. Another constant nuisance are those funny-hat-and-no-costume-people who are there for the party but really, really need to get drunk and/or whatever else first to loosen up, which they then do in abundance. Usually they're are entirely oblivious to the fact that the people around them are only annoyed by their jostling ... well, they have it coming ... but before I really get going about all these bad characters - this is supposed to be a cheerful post, so one last song:

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  16. Ofelix

Media:
    I'm with Loreseeker, I never really trusted homeopathy, most papers (granted they were vulgarisation papers) I've read seemed to indicate they didn't do sh**.

On the other hand I'm pissed, this morning's exam has been canceled and postponed to after the spring break which means I'm going to ruin it by studying ancient Rome :mad: . That's the first time I saw a class angry at the prospect of an exam being canceled, only in Uni :lol:

Still, it gives me an extra 4 hours of studying for my afternoon's test. At any rate United States History should prove to be a far more easier subject than, say, ancient roman empire. Merely by the fact that the empire has had a longer history than the US'. 400 years in total is shorter than more than a thousand.

Major Meh!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  17. Silvery

Media:
    Ancient Rome was fabulous! I was in Rome a few yeaars ago and even though it's very modern in parts, you can find thousands of years of history by just going for a 10 minute walk!
    I know that there are plans to open a new metro line. The plan is to go around the buried artifacts but light them so you can see them from the train. I can't wait to go back. I wish we'd been able to study ancient Rome in more detail when I was at school

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Sounds like you had a blast Rags! :D

Is there anything like carnival in Cologne during the summer months? Once we get enough money for our Germany trip, I'd love to partake in local celebrations...and I promise that I won't act like the tourists you described. :holy:

19. Balle Gems: 19/31

****ing out i LOOOOOVE cake, ANY cake

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Kitrax,
    carnival is only in the winter, in the week before Ash Wednesday. There is no special summer celebrations here, except for a rather relaxed attitude in general. Which means there is ample opportunity to have a good time :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.