1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling 115

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm reading up on a few of the English Folk Resurrectionist sites. They promote restoring some of the old english ways and laws that provide spefically for englishmen and the descendants of the Anglo-Saxon Jute peoples that have remained on their homeland. It's near impossible to tell if it's racist because it simply doesn't ask or answer questions about naturalised immigration or even newer immigrants.

Though heavily implies that the ex-pats are not really supported as they have left the lands and also strongly supports that a country should provide for its people so that they shouldn't want to leave - it still lacks certain details on if it's anyones' place to get involved on that or if aims would be to return people to their cultural homelands.

Reepnorp - as soon as I saw your name in the New Posts section my first thought was "LIM N' LIME! :bigeyes:"

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Can haz caffeine IV?

I was home straight from work at midnight. I had to leave the house at 9 am to make it here for 11 am. I will be home after midnight, again. and back for 7 am tomorrow, and in till 7.30 pm. So I would dearly love to just curl up and die roughly, oh, now.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

That only applies if you're white :p If you're black you can say all the racist things you want about white people. If a black person calls a white person a honky redneck cracker, it's a bit racist, but it's ok. Yet if I say the N-word, it's immediately racist. Even "I love N's" has a racist sound to it ;)

Now, I left out the N-word on purpose, since I think we can consider this forum an interracial posse, and I don't know who the nigger-representative* is to check with on the use of the N-word on the forum by us white people.

*I think the Dr. Dre-rule applies here, since I'm using the words of the great philosopher Rock: (no, it is not family friendly... it is Chris Rock, I shouldn't even need to give this warning)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: I love Chris Rock. But according to Dave Chappelle, there are some places where I could say N***** and be perfectly fine:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I want to babble but alas I've naught to say... at least nothing coherent.

The itinerant deer sleeps lawfully on Saturn.
    Jupiter-colourless gazes calmly on the Achaeans.
    Athena-of-the-city speaks silently for the loud boar.

yeah that's enough.

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    @ Mesmero -
    Yah that seems to be the way - some Canadians are funny. My friend goes out of her way when she is describing a person to leave out colour and race. Is just the politically correct thing to do being a typical white Canadian. But I'm also white and I know how other cultures see white people. I have a completely different perspective.

7. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I find that ridiculous, I'm white too but I don't go out of my way to describe a person who isn't white. I do not believe it to be racist when I say "my high school English teacher was a black man" (which happened to be true btw). That's an undeniable fact, he is a black man. This statement alone implies nothing else other than the colour of his skin. You'd have to be overly sensitive to find that remark racist.

8. Dice

Media:
    Even though you are Canadian Flix you come from a different province and I notice there are a lot of cultural differences even between the provinces. These diffences are subtle but each region does have it's own different perspective.

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Good old Canada, where things that may seem racist to some people might be totally acceptable an hour away. I often find myself surprised by the generation before my own. There was one time my Dad was driving me to a friend's place and when we pulled out onto the street he told me to take his phone and call the house. I did, and when my brother answered my Dad said "Tell your brother that there are suspicious looking black people parked across the street and that he should lock the doors."

Even if that were the reason, would it have been so hard to just say he should lock the doors? No need to get race involved. As much as I love my Dad, he really does surprise me sometimes...

10. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    A while ago I was meeting a friend in the pub and said to the barmaid "Have you seen anyone hanging around looking like they were waiting for someone?"
    "Oh yeah, she's...umm...well...she's got black hair"
    She then seemed really shocked when I said "A Chinese woman?"

11. Mesmero

Here in The Netherlands there is no taboo on describing someone as black or negro. The problem probably mostly exists in the US I think. Some US black rights movement (NPAA? is that a rights group in America?) threw a hissy fit, I think when Obama became president because some Dutch magazine had an article on him with the word "neger" in the title, which is our word for negro. Calling somebody a negro here is totally fine. The Dutch N-word*, "nikker", was briefly used in the 80's, which was considered racist, but fell out of fashion quickly. Nobody uses it nowadays, so I'm pretty sure it has its racist meaning.

*I'll just leave it out to keep the peace, but I'm not normally that politically correct.

12. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm with you on that. Me and my friends normally aren't all that PC. In my opinion, there's no reason to get upset over things like this, it's basically name calling for adults. There isn't a single thing you could call me that would make me say "Woah man, that isn't cool"

Hell,one of my friends from Bangladesh dressed up in his typical clothes from home one Halloween and went out as a terrorist.

13. Arabwel

Media:
    ... i am very tempted to say a lot of things now that would hijack the thread to Alley territory but y'all should read the white privilege checklist and have a serious think about all the things you've just said here.

In a more tried and true Random Babble sense, I need to dye my hair again. the pink is fading, and doesn't match the text of my new Caustic t-shirt. I foresee turning the bathroom into a My Little Pony slaughterhouse soon!

14. Dice

Media:
    I never had any My Little Ponies when I was a kid. I liked other things.

So are you going to dye your hair pink again Ara? Or are you going to try for a different colour?

The weather here was beautiful today. Feels like spring.

15. Arabwel

Media:
    Pink again, to match a t-shirt I am wearing to a festival. T-shirt says_

I could have bought a shirt from a band actually at Resistanz
    I bought this instead

Caustic
    What a d***o

Caustic being a great band, and the festival Resistanz one where they performed last year but not this year. I know I won't be the only one wearing this shirt, either :D

16. Mesmero

"1. I can arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time."
    Yup, all my co-workers are human.

"3. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented."
    Yup, mostly humans on tv and in the paper.

Etc :p

Yeah yeah, I know this is random babbling, but I don't like the Alleys. People are taken way too seriously in there. But your link doesn't change my opinion on anything I said. I see skin color pretty much in the same way I see hair color, just minor variations on the same thing. I take it kind of light-heartily, because me and a few good friends (of different skin colors), joke around with racial stereotypes. Pretty much in the same way that I can call another close friend of mine a poofter. But it's all in good nature, because I love those guys. I'm as uncomfortable around white kids acting tough on the subway as I am around black or middle eastern kids acting tough. And I'm sure life can be tough for certain people in certain places, but I don't know what there is to say about the way the people are treating each other, not like brothers; why can't we learn to love each other and turn a new face to the whole world wide human race?*

Ok, last one:
    "I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented"
    When I walk into a music store, there better be some Otis, Aretha, Percy, Jimi, John Lee, etc etc :p

*Yeah, I so didn't write that last part myself. It's pretty good tho :)

Silvery likes this.
  17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Going to Disney World with Mrs Bruno and the two T3's. See y'all in a week.

18. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Say hello to Mickey Mouse for me if you see him! :)

19. Dice

Media:
    Cool, have fun T2

20. reepnorp

Media:
    Why is it that so many things I buy have dead pixels? My first iPod, my blackberry, and now my iPad. At least all three happened within the warranty period. Guess I'll be returning this iPad tomorrow :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.