1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling 115

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In your countries is it "odd" to be a male who's not interested in following sports? Living in the USA, I do feel like a real oddball (not that it bothers me, really) because I don't have this interest. I can't tell you how many times I get asked "you watching the game tonight?" and invariably my response is "what game would that be?"

From that point, the unspoken response generally seems to be... "this guy's clearly 'defective.' Now I will back away slowly." I wonder if in European countries (sorry for that very broad stroke there) if it's more "socially acceptable" not to be into sports than it is in the US of A.

Hmm, I think I'm bordering on going too far for RBP. So I will end with, grrr, got hit with a nasty cold a couple of days ago. There's nothing like walking around the house all day with tissue stuffed up your nose, as a solitary measure against the constant drippage. How's that for a picture! :/

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I don't think you have to be loud and obnoxious to be sports fan, and if following sports gives you something else to think about besides how much you hate your life, it's all good. Likewise any other hobbies and interests people have. :)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Pretty much the same here but I think this is more or less universal. I think it's learned behaviour for the most part - if you grow up in a family where (usually) the father is a (TV) sports nut, you get infected by the interest for it. But if nobody cares for it much and/or if you don't play it yourself and/or you're bad at it, it's not likely that you'll find it interesting.

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I wasn't implying that all sport fan are loud and obnoxious but those are the one more noticeable on the streets, at school, in pubs, etc. My father likes Ice hockey but isn't like them. He used to watch all match. Now he only watches the playoff, don't know why and to be truthful I don't really care either. I guess that makes me a bad son. Although it's kind of funny to see him yell at the Boston's Bruins when they play the Canadian on TV.

edit: If only all sports fan were like my father, I mean I don't care if you do enjoy watching "the big game" on tv, but can you please not be a doucebag to those who don't ?

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My dad was typical in that he regularly watched sports games, particularly basketball, and to a lesser extent American football. And no, he wasn't shy about yelling at the TV. I guess it's not too surprising that the sport I enjoy watching most is basketball, but that's also because it seems to be the fastest paced of the common sports here in the US.

That said, my parents divorced when I was young, and growing up with my mom, I wasn't regularly exposed to watching sports on TV. I had no regular "mentor" to teach me to play sports, or even to become particularly interested in them. As a kid I became interested in riding my bike (BMX style), jumping doubles, learning tricks, and a bit later, playing the guitar became my absolute passion. Sports, as you might guess, were something I sucked at, and I was always picked last for team's during PE in school (or on a good day, maybe second to last). While that was somewhat humiliating, I realized even at that young age that I didn't care about sports. I'd watch my classmates get so pissed if their team lost the PE softball match, and think, really? This matters... why?

Eventually my classmates, I think, came to respect my unabashed lack of interest, but it was a little iffy for me for a few years there. Those iffy years, I'm sure, only served to push me even farther away from an interest in sports... as I'm sure on a certain level I came to associate sports with a big damn pain in my ass. :)

But by high school, I was one of the only kids who could play all the solos on the Metallica song Fade to Black. When I got to do that one year during a talent show, all the jocks who were there (at least, the majority who weren't still hanging onto the previously obligatory "anti-metal" mentality), realized that the sucky sports kid had other talents. Soon after I got to play with my band during our school lunch hour, and sort of became a "household name" on my campus. With this, there was absolutely no more reason for me to care about having next to no talent with sports, as I was otherwise accepted by the jocks, the "gang-bangers" and most every other clique that existed at my school. There was even less reason to care by college, and well, there you go....

That's more or less how this "sports-less nutjob" came into being.

I'll shoot some hoops with my wife, play the odd volleyball game, but that's about it sports-wise. Going to a game is fun... as long as I'm hanging out with people who's company I enjoy anyway.

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well ok then, now I know who not to invite to my next sports themed party that I will likely never have anyways. :D :p :D.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    A colleague has found an apt way to clearly describe what most differentiates our company from a particular, annoying service provider of ours:

While our condition expresses itself in hysterical laughter "Hihihi!", theirs is of a different kind, best expressed in maniacal laughter "MWAHAHA!". I usually imagine their boss, sitting in the basement of his tower (they do have a tower) playing an organ (and for some odd reason, my imagination always has fog coming from the pipes), laughing like that ... after having written one of those remarkable, cryptic e-mails.

Alas, they are to be our problem for not much longer .... :bigeyes:

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Heretics, the lot of you. Sport is like religion.

9. Ofelix

Media:
    A Random Babbling Post draws near ! What dost thou do ?
    >Cast "Babble"
    Thou cast "Babble" the Random Babbling Post was hit for 23 hit-points
    The Random Babbling Post is defeated
    Thou art victorious !
    Thou plunder an obscure 80s video game reference from the Random Babbling Post
    Thy Inventory is full.
    Wouldst thou keep the an obscure 80s video reference in thy bag ?
    >Yes

10. Marceror

Media:
    Ofelix, don't look now, but you are babbling... in a manner that is most random. Tsk tsk.

ION, today is the first time I've been referred to as a heretic for not caring about sports. In spite of having a cold, this comment officially makes today a good day for me. :p

-A proud heretic

11. Ofelix

Media:
    That was kinda the point, in truth I was hoping someone would find the obscure 80s video game reference, despite being born in '88 and thus only started gaming in '93 or so, I still quite love the 80s game.

Seriously it isn't even that obscure. To be fair this particular game wasn't released in Europe, at least not officially. And it had a different name in Japan and North America due to license issues. Anyone ? anyone ?

edit: You'll be pleased to know that according to wikipedia, the homo sapien is in the "Least Concerned" category of the IUCN, the International Union for Conservation of Nature. Phew ! I was worried for a bit. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  12. Marceror

Media:
    Yeah, I knew that was the point, which was kinda the "point" (if you can call it that) of my post (babbling in a manner most random ==> random babbling post ==> posting exactly as you should in this thread).

I'm not sure on the game. I did a couple of quick Google searches. I believe that I may have found the game you're talking about. But since I "cheated," I'll wait and see.

13. Dice

Media:
    I have news. But I probably shouldn't post it...oh well.

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, that's a complete tease . . .

15. Dice

Media:
    yah...I know

16. Ofelix

Media:
    Aw c'mon Dice, don't be that gal. Do tell us ! Now we have to know. But know that you're in a predicament. You elevated our interest, and by not telling us we have to assume the news in question is interesting. If it turns out it isn't interesting at all it would be anticlimactic. To quote a certain TV show;
    " I put down my feet from the table and slightly turned to to the left for this ? Boooo!"

by the by; if you're still (un)interested, yesterday's 80s reference was Dragon Warrior/Quest; google "A slime draws near" -- "A 'x' draws near" has become somewhat of an internet meme for DQ's fans.

Edit (09/02/12): Just bought a new laptop today. Sweetness, plus I saved about 100$ by buying at the school's Coop. It isn't the best available, but for uni stuff it's plenty enough.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  17. Dice

Media:
    Flix, now if I do state my news I have the pressure to make it interesting. You know it was random babbling, it possibly might not be that intriguing.

Actually the police installed a personal alarm system in my house yesterday. If my husband did happen to figure out who I am here and he was reading my posts I guess it wouldn't matter that much that he knows it.

Even at that, I'm sure my blog wouldn't help the situation much either.

18. Ofelix

Media:
    I wasn't trying to pressure you Dice, I was simply messing around. Anyway, um, good for you ? . I must confess I don't know how to respond to that.

19. Dice

Media:
    S'ok Flix, don't worry about how you respond to me. I'm pretty laid back about things and I don't take offense. I appreciate people who say what they think. No fear. Besides, your a sweety. :)

20. Ofelix

Media:
    Ah for the love of @$@(&$. The lil' che have got their way, the 20, 000 students over three campuses has been reached today. Which means my university will begin its silly strike next tuesday. But... but, I just bought a new laptop especially for uni :(

Btw, this new post is courtesy of Flix's new lappy. Speaking of which I just spend a good hour de-crapyfiying it, you wouldn't believe the amount of useless, resources hogging stuff Toshiba put in there. It's maddening. Although some of it can be kinda cool, like the "I'll stop your HDD if I detect too much vibration which most likely indicate a fall but not too much vibration 'cause I might just be on some dude's lap, m'kay ?"

Now I just need a name for her* I'd name her Lappie, but I fear my old laptop would feel unwanted if I name the new one with the same exact name.

*Yes in Flix's demented mind laptops have a feminine persona, while desktop have a masculine persona. But c'mon my shiny new laptop is so small, and curvy, and light... err don't see too much into that I certainly won't :lol: -- Flix feels weird and judged.

PS: Sure, the spell checker recognize Toshiba as a proper name but not Flix ? tsk tsk,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.