1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling 115

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hey guys...its me Dragonfly - sorry about the name change, it was kind of necessary for my situation.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    No Dice, Dragonfly, we're on to you . . .

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

:p

3. Dice

Media:
    ROTFL - good one DMC

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Don't mind me folk I'm just babbling for the sake of babbling. I haven't got anything specific to say butt I will say this however: Frater Magnum Te Spectat ! -- Latin's cool.

5. Dice

Media:
    hehehe ... he said "butt". (Insert Bevis and Butthead voice.)

6. Ofelix

Media:
    That's a typo, obviously :p meh what the hell, I'll leave it. Gotta own one's mistake no ?

7. Dice

Media:
    Typos are OK, they keep things interesting in a grammar conscience world.

8. Ofelix

Media:
    Oh indeed, but with the advent of high literacy rate around the world and mass communication technologies, it's now more important than ever to respect grammatical rules if we are to understand one and another.

Btw, did you know that there is as of now more people in the world who speaks English as a second language than there are who speaks it as a first language ? That fact has always amused me.

9. Dice

Media:
    Does that make me a minority then?

10. Ofelix

Media:
    It does indeed, it does indeed. :p Cheer up you can always complain at all of us for not speaking correctly or speaking in weird accents.

11. Dice

Media:
    I would never complain, I love grammatical written accents and I like the ones you can hear too. It give language more flavor.

12. Ofelix

Media:
    Uh, how can you write an accent ? You mean purposefully make spelling error to approximate the spoken accent of non native ? Like if I were to do so according to my one;

'ello der Dice, 'auw doo yoo doo on dis fine day ?

Hello there Dice, How do you do on this fine day ?

Y'know my major is linguistic, this stuff fascinate me too :cool:

13. Dice

Media:
    Actually what I meant was by written accents were things like how people who have a Latin based language will sometimes end a statement with "...no?" when asking if a person agrees whereas a British person would end the same statement with "...yes?"

I also like Freudian typos. Very entertaining.

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I end sentences with a "no?" when assessing agreement :D I like to have fun with language though, when I was little my mother was doing two english degrees from home so I grew up immersed in how language can be wrestled into any mould. A pity I lack eloquence though!

15. Ofelix

Media:
    Uh, never realized the subtle yes/no difference, but now that you mention it, that does seems to generally be the case. Btw, are split infinitive ok now ? Some people seems to be categorically against it while other would allow it. I mean Star Trek used it after all.

16. Dice

Media:
    To eight - "language can be wrestled into any mould." That is such a beautiful phrase. It could be a one line poem.

To Flix - sorry, what is a split infinitive? Maybe my grammar is not that good.

17. Ofelix

Media:
    Don't feel bad it's not uncommon for non native to have more meta-knowledge about the grammar of their second language. For instance some international students at Uni asked me some pretty subtle question about French's grammar and I had absolutely no idea what they were saying. The difference between your English and mine is that yours is intuitive you learn how to speak before you learn its formal grammar in school, whereas I learn both the language itself and its formal grammar at the same time.

Anyway split infinitive;

According to dictionary.com

" an expression in which there is a word or phrase, especially an adverb or adverbial phrase, between to and its accompanying verb form in an infinitive, as in to readily understand. "

Or as in "To boldly go where no man has gone before" -- that's why I quoted Star Trek :p

Thing is it's pretty controversial, some people, all native English speaker, that I discussed this issue with said it's ungrammatical and should be avoided, while others said it was grammatically ok to do so. I wanted to know Bom's opinion on the matter, that's all.

To me both "to boldly go" and "to go boldly" seems ok though.

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] It's essentially using the 'rules' of poetry in prose to inspire and evoke a reaction that the 'rules' of prose wouldn't convey adequately.

Many speeches and mottos are guilty of bending one little rule or another ;)

It partly plays on the intuition of the listener who expects a sentence to be formulated a certain way, it's a trick Derron Brown uses as well, once that structure of expectation is broken or bent, the listener suddenly has to be more attentive to what is being spoken - it's no longer a point of listening from interest, but also one of concentration, you're more likely to remember it and attach the passion of the speaker to the words if you repeat them yourself.

It's pretty nifty actually.

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  20. Dice

Media:
    Some mistakes you can only make once I guess. She will never see the irony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.