1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rammstein

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Zurga, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I've never heard of In-Extremo...where are they from?

As far as Rammstein is concerned though, I loved their music, but hated not understanding what they're saying...which is what made me learn German! :D

I'm always doing stuff like that...my next project is to learn Japanese...ah well. :D

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I'm a big Rammstein fan, it help a bit to understand German.

3. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think that they are sick fu**s

Those lyrics are really not THAT nice..

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In Extremo play german Folk Metal. They mix metal with medieval music.
    They are IMHO really bad because their music is more boring than Rammstein's.

I you want a band which sounds like Rammstein, try 'Oomph' (who played that style when Rammstein were still punks) and the last album of 'Subway to Sally', called "Engelskrieger" (Angel Warrior).

The latter was a very good folk metal band, until they changed the label...

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

du hast is the only song of theirs i've heard. nothing great imo but they're don't really play my kind of music

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

"I've never heard of In-Extremo...where are they from?" Also Germans and you will probably like the songs 'Der Wind' or 'Vollmond'.

I heard that Raunchy sound like Ramstine but I have not heard them yet.

7. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Nope. Raunchy are more like Fear Factory on LSD. Not really like Rammstein. Raunchy is the best thing Denmark has given us lately.

8. Fhjull Forked-Tongue Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Someone showed me a FAMILY VALUES (or something like that) DVD and it had a Rammstein video on it

Question: Are they a Gay Metal Band?

EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I don't understand Spanish either, or French, or Las Ketchupian. And I can't make out half the words in English songs. But then, I've never cared about the words for the least bit.

Believe me or not, I don't remember even one of the words in the Finnish songs that play here all the time. All that matters to me is the melody and the "attitude".

While I hate all sorts of heavy, fantasy musics from games and movies to anime are exactly my style. And strangely enough Rammstein is as well. German has always been that harsh language of war to me and my friends. It just sounds so agressive and fun. Rammstein awakens that primal feeling of aggression and simplicity that I find quite appealing. I may not understand most of their words, but whatever they say, they say it with an attitude.

10. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Du Hast was the first one I listened to, thanks to a friend. Now I have most of their albums and listen to them quite often. I also know german and can understand their lyrics. Yes, some people can say they are sick (some songs), well I consider them *interesting*. Well I also play music sometimes, and you just can't imagine how *sick* lyrics you can come up with just by brainstorming in the studio with the rest. :rolleyes:

In my opinion they are geniuses in both their lyrics and their music. And since Feuer Frei! was mentioned, it is the ultimate soundtrack for disobeying speed limits :p

11. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

"Spiel mit mir" is definitely not interesting. It's just disgusting.

You should read more german lyrics. Every language can sound harsh if the speaker wants to. It's sad that Rammstein are the figureheads of the german language. :(

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

If you listen to an Irish person speaking Gaelic it sounds very harsh (just the same when they are speaking English) but to go back in topic I seen some translations of Rammstein songs with lyrics about having sex with your brother and sucking on your mothers nipples. I just hope that these lyrics have a more spiritual meaning and not something that is literal!

13. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

As I said, I couldn't care less about the lyrics. Even if I understand the language, I don't listen to what's said.

@ Fabius Maximus:

It's got nothing to do with Rammstein. It's practically a universal opinion with the people I know that Germany is a "harsh sounding" language. That comes from way back, even before I studied it in school. Simply saying "I have a wiener in my leatherpants" sounds harsh and funny. No pun intended. Afterall most Finns agree that our language is even more stiff.

The only language that I would say sounds beautiful is French for the fluent and melodic sounds in it. And even that comes off as a bit snobbish. I also like the sound of Chinese and Japanese. Danish is possibly the harshest language I know.

Apologies in advance if this offends someone. It is simply an opinion not intended as an insult. Much like saying I prefer brunettes over blondes, if nothing else (like personality) is considered.

14. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

@Cesard: What do you mean? Interpretation of lyrics and poetry is your task in the dialogue between artist and beholder. Someone says "Suck your mother's nipples" and you decide whether to take this literally or figuratively.

Do you need someone to tell you what to see on a given picture as well?

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Lyrics can mean anything - like Beck (at least I hope that there is meaning to his nonsense). Sometimes I will try go get my own views on what certain lyrics mean but other times I don't care as long as it goes well with the music.

The lyrics of Rammstein do not concern me as I listen to other bands just for the lyrics but they are entertaining neverless.

16. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

@Fora: Don't be afraid. I can usually see if something's intended as an insult. Even so: try some german lyric sometimes. ;)

@Cesard: Rammstein want to provoke. Therefore, they write songs about incest and cannibalism. I find it disgusting, but if you don't mind...suit yourself

17. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Sonne is a cool song. I have no idea what it is about, though.
    Die Sonne scheint mir aus den Händen, kann verbrennen, kann dich blenden,
    Wenn sie aus den Fäusten bricht, legt sich heiss auf dein Gesicht,
    Legt sich schmerzend auf die Brust, das Gleichgewicht wird zum Verlust.
    Dark lyrics, wicked video.
    Then there is their cover of Stripped - again a wicked video (Riefenstahls docu of the Olympics, methinks). And of course Seemann. Quite great.

Not everything they make is exactly my kind of music ~ but by no means bad either.

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Yes Fabius Maximus I guessed that Rammstein were trying to be offensive but I thought there may be a 'hidden poetic meaning' in there.

The music is good but to be offensive for the sake of being offensive is something that men of the average Rammstein members age should be above!

19. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The only thing I've heard is Du Hast, which as far as I'm concerned is enough to immortalize them.

The riffs and general tenor are what did it for me. Can't understand a word of it, and after looking at some of the above posts, I probably prefer it that way. :)

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Du Hast was the first song I ever heard from them, and I've liked Rammstein ever since! In fact, the Rammstein concert scene in xXx was probably the best part of the boring movie! :thumb:

[Edit] WooHoo! 1600 posts...sorry Jaguar, but thou shalt not pass me! :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.