1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Radovan Karadzic Captured

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Shaman, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Read this this morning.

I'm not sure where they got the "most efficient secret services" bit from, but that second part looks interesting...wild speculation, or something more?

Also, apparently he wrote poetry. I'm quite curious...

But, anyhow, it's good that he's captured. People like this shouldn't be able to escape unscathed, even though some do.

2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll be my butt, that they knew all along where "Moses" was working aka hiding!:rolleyes:

But then again! This is just political theater . I've been there in Serbia often and the political climate since the the passing of Josip "Tito" Broz, resembles a Mexican soap opera. La Mujer de Judas anyone?!

@Vukodlak
    And I don't think them walking the plank for the EU is a necessarily a good thing!
    The elements that the country needs to be purged off, would undoubtedly exploit the "package" that comes with the membership. And they would establish their power beyond anyones means.

Like I said before, the former leaders of the former Yugoslavian states (croatia/serbia/bosnia and so on) emerged rich and wealthy from the war. Guess why!

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

A part of me agrees with this, in that I am well known on these boards as a vociferous proponent of the death penalty. However, "a gilded cage is still a cage." It is better to lock him up and deny him what little freedom he has than to let him walk free. I agree that the punishment doesn't fit the crime but it beats no punishment at all and could help some of the victims' families find some closure (I hate that Psych Speak but sometimes it's the best option in an imperfect world.)

4. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Not sure that I really understood what you meant there. Elaborate?

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, keep in mind how wealthy and powerful the families of the war criminals emerged from the war, while all the others stood naked in the ashes, with nothing!
    Milosevic, Tudjman, Izetbegovic, Sejdiu and many others are all war-mongering criminals. The list is dirty, murky and endless at top of that!

After the war, their families had money and power, they established their kin and friends in positions of power. In political parties and positions they still hold today.
    Their sons and daughters went overseas to live the good life! America and Britannia was full of them all the time!

The "bonuses and privileges" that come with the membership will be exploited by those people for their own good. It's of little consequence that most of the criminals are dead by now.

That what they helped build still kicks!
    :bad:

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  7. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    ... and I'm rather ashamed to share the same nationality with them. (On second thought, they should be ashamed for attending this.)

To be honest this level of sheer idiocy is hard for me to understand. The reasons why would someone attend this are... lost on me. A part of the participants are men in their twenties showing off their "patriotism" by shouting paroles while already drunk. Think with your own heads, you oxen!

SRS are nothing but lunatics, imo. This country would be WAY better off if the ground just opened up and swallowed the whole lot of them. I'm quite sure that their leadership couldn't pass any psychological evaluation. The lack of any manners or upbringing is a whole different issue.

The fact that there are people who willingly listen to them... sickens me.

According to local sources (B92) there are around 15000 people at that meeting. Local article

The other meeting referenced in the link (when the morons tried to burn the embassy, and someone even died) was about Kosovo and it carried way more emotional weight around here. The chances of violence escalating is always present but it's far less likely to happen now, especially with the police taking better security measures.

EDIT: The idiots (group of about 200 hulligans) started a fight with the police. Apparently a few policemen were hurt and there is some material damage (broken shop windows, general hulligan stuff). A positive outcome is that the meeting is interrupted.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If that's what it takes, the Serbs will have made a great deal. We gave up two reactors of our nuclear plant. Giving up one ex-war criminal >>>>> 20% higher electricity prices in my book.

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

What Serbia will get out of this is the stabilisation and association treaty, everything beyoned that requires more reforms and will. And even for the stabilisation treaty Mladic is yet needed. Considering that allready countries like Albania have signed this document it's more like a requirement for any negotiations to start than a guarantee of membership. Of course with that agreement both parties pretty much agree to work towards membership.

As for Karadzic, this is great news and a huge step forward for Serbia. However I think Mladic might be quite a lot tougher to get. He's a soldier and is bound to have people loyal to him protecting him and is possibly even heavily armed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.