1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Racism in Sports

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I hope he said that with derision, or else he is just egging the racists on...

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    African americans have earned the right, of course.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Solely based on their colour?

Drew, you're a hypocrite or possibly a racist. Which is it? :p

And besides, "African Americans"? What about blacks not American? What about blacks not African?

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Excuse me, Drew, but how does one 'earn the right' to use racial abuse on somebody? Just because someone of the same race says it, doesn't mean it's not racist.

5. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The term "Nigger" isn't racially abusive when it's used by the people it is suppose to denegrate; actually it becomes quite the opposite then. The address becomes of way of empowering themselves against racism.

6. Drew

Media:
    Context changes the meaning of a word, people. When I call a man a "bitch", it means I'm calling a pansy (or, on occasion, the reciever of a homosexual act....but in a playful, generally inoffensive way) and it isn't a derogatory term. Used towards a woman, it doesn't mean "pansy", and it sure as hell is derogatory. When a white man calls a black man a "nigger" he is invoking the label of white superiority and oppression...... When a black man calls another black man a "nigga", he invokes the bond created by shared suffering....and it is not derogatory for that reason. It is not hippocritical or racist to acknowledge that the meaning of a word changes depending upon the context in which it is used. Simply put.....this is a matter of linguistics, not race.

EDIT: Ilmater's Suffering clearly beat me to it and put it much more succinctly than I did to boot.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    Sorry lads, but I disagree.

Do Asians go around calling each other 'paki'? No, they don't. Because the word itself is highly offensive. The same goes for the word 'nigger'. I don't care who uses it, I find it offensive because of what it stands for. Why should be only black people who are offended by racism?

I say again, if you separate society into 'this group can say this, but that group can't... this group can do this, but that group can't' then you create divisions, then the whole point of the battle against racism is to bring everybody together without difference.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

... side by side on my piano keyboard .....

All hear the word of Barmy Army. :hippy:

9. Drew

Media:
    What it stands for to you. Many black Americans find it offensive, too. Still more others do not. African Americans use the word in an attempt to own the word......to empower themselves against it. I used to live in a "black" neighborhood. When I would drive out of my crime-free apartment complex, the police (who constantly canvassed the neighborhood) would glare at me threateningly until they noticed I was white. Upon seeing the color of my skin, their expression would soften and become friendly. It happened over and over and was the most sickening thing about living in that neighborhood. I saw how my black neighbor's were treated by my lanlord and by the police and, in stark contrast, the way I was treated purely because of the color of my skin. Given the racism and discrimination that black americans still are subjected to this very day, I think it is a little petty to begrudge them the use of the word "nigger".

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    All everyone wants and deserves is just to be treated the same as everyone else, regardless of colour, race or creed. I think we've pretty much approached that stage now... at least in my highly multi-cultural country. I don't mean to be argumentative (thought I usually am) or regurgitate the same thing over and over, but I don't see how the use of a term that is racist (regardless of how some blacks use it, the word is racist) is acceptable, regardless of who uses it.

@ Harbs, don't upset my rhythm man, I need an outlet after Englands shambolic cricket performance :lol:

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I was agreeing with you, man!

People are the same wherever you go. There is good and bad in everyone.

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    We learn to live, we learn to give each other what we need to survive together alive.

That's the first and last duet I'm ever doing with you so savour it :lol: :thumb:

13. Barmy Army

Media:
  14. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the point is not to tell yourself that all people are equal, so if a black man calls an other black man a nigger, then a white man should be allowed to do so, too. That's just childish. "If he can, than I can too".
    You will have to ask yourself if you're showing respect. If you know or are not sure when someone is offended by something, you don't say it or choose your words wisely.

Friendship can often make a difference. In much cases, friends don't show the respect they have, because they know their friend is not offended.
    Two of my friends are gay. I can call one of them a fag, and sometimes I do so because he knows I am just joking. The other is slightly offended by that. So if the 2 of them would be together, I won't call any of them a fag, because one is offended.

'Nigger' is a nasty word, imo. And I won't call anybody a nigger, except for those I know are not offended, if nobody else is in earshot who might be offended.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It depends. It's like that scene in Rush Hour. It's okay for Chris Tucker to call his friend "my nigger" because 1) Chris Tucker is himself black and refers to himself as nigger 2) The 2 are friends and most importantly 3) The guy doesn't mind if it's Chris Tucker calling him that. But he goes ballistic when Jackie Chan does it because since Jackie isn't black it sounds like he's being disrespectful.

I've seen this phenomenon in real life. Many of my best friends are Chinese and they have a stereotype of being good at business and being real pennypinchers so when a chinese friend of mine does something really cheap, my other friends sometimes say stuff like "You really are Chinese" but it's okay because it's not intended as a racial slur because they themselves are Chinese. Kind of like self-deprecating humor.

This is probably the best way to go about things though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.