1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Racism in general

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by LKD, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ireland is strange as an Irish Traveller (Irelands native people) does not count as 'white' and Spanish and French do, even though they can be a lot darker. Of course, I am a faily lightskinned Traveller, so its rare that I can be identified as one.

2. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yes, because for sakes, saying the thruth is the most racist thing! God forbide people decide not to fall for PC lies and stupidity in the name of evil racism!
    -----------------------------------------------------

I am not sure I understand. I see racism, discrimination and preconception as the most negative-ridden words on the minds of people - the ones who are not themselves "racists" of course. You say something slightly "racist", and people get all worked up.
    I think all those words should be value-neutral. I mean, what makes me being discriminator, beyound being discriminator myself? Nothing, it only means I am discriminator. Everything else is pure speculation.

I do have introspection. However, I have a high self-steem and love for myself. No ammount of in-deepth introspection, would make me come to the same conclusion shared by the proponents of leftism - PC, liberalism, anti-Europeanism, or however you want to call these people.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Anyway, it is laughable to claim the non-Whites have it worse. I hear stories about Poles being discriminated and dispised in places like germany and Holland all the time - not to mention the infamous Polish jokes in the US. As a matter of fact, one of my best friends was telling - yesterday - me a friend of his went to the US for interchange, and there were these two german pigs - not calling all germans pigs, but these two girls certainly looked and behaved like that - who were always picking on a Polack girl, saying how her people keep coming to germany to steal, murder and clear toilets; that she was stupid, her name was totally stupid and unpronounceable, full of CH sounds and barbaric; among other things.
    In the other hand, doing these same things against non-Europeans is a much more touchy issue.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Svytoslav, hehe, you are aware that you are part of a group that white, christian men tend to look down upon? If said white, christian man is prone to look down upon various people that is.

4. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Bah, racism is a dumb human concept based on fear and ignorance. Being asian someone makes the occasional wise-crack, but i'm better than them and return it so meh. Racists are what made my faith in humanity drop to -10, (now it's -15, don't wanna go into detail about that though :) )

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Are race-based "reparations" any better or worse that the acts that caused the need for such recompense in the first place? While I admit that horrible things were done in the past to some groups of people by other groups of people, why should individuals many centuries removed from those occurences be paying the price for those actions?

Specifically, when slavery was happening in this country, *my* ancestors were dirt farmers in Europe. I personally don't owe any descendant of any former slave ANYTHING.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

To extend that even further, Rallymama, I would argue that even if your Grandfather were the biggest slave owner in America, YOU personally would not owe anyone NOW a blasted thing beyond the common courtesy and respect for law that we should give everyone.

7. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

A button that is not supposed to be touched: Why is the crime rate so much higher amongst modern people of slave heritage?

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree Rally. The same thing is true for me. Heck, every one of the Foppish Idiot's ancestors were still living in Europe prior to the 20th century.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't we all feel better now that we've publicly denounced racism. We could be politicians.

LNT: The slave heritage is not specifically the issue -- it's about money. Higher crime rates go hand-in-hand with lower incomes regardless of race. Unfortunately, a higher percentage of minorities in the US are at lower income levels. They get the worst education and fewest opportunities to rise in financial standing. Low income also means poor legal representation.

Race is also an issue to the news media -- if a minority commits a crime it is reported as such quite often. We almost never hear about a group of white males committing a crime (unless it's particularly brutal or racist).

10. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I watched an emission on the BBC about the South of the US in the 30's once. There it was said, that the police simply did not care at all about crimes between blacks. If a black guy killed a black guy, the white boss of the murderer could come around next week and bail the murderer out. Because his work on the cotton fields was more important than the murder case of a black person. So there was a complete anarchy among blacks because no one had an interest in keeping up the law there according to the emission.

11. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Joaquin,

I am sure many White Christian westerns look down upon me - I mentioned that in my last post - but neither do I think they are the majority of them, neither do I care. Let me tell you a secret, I look down upon them as well. ;)

12. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Svy,

That's exactly what I meant. The word only connotes a distinction on the basis of race; it has gained additional negative emphasis to the point that it is only ever viewed as an insult or an attack.

@ Rally, LKD, Aldeth (and presumably others)

While I respect that point of view (and indeed, agree with it to an extent with respect to the White Australia policy and the treatment of Aborigines), I can't completely agree with you. My quality of life has been greatly improved by what my predecessors and ancestors did, while others have suffered immense degradation and destruction of their way of life and culture.

While I'm not personally responsible for any of it, I have reaped the benefits of others doing so. In that sense, I believe I have a moral responsibility to make things better if I can. Still, there's no point in trying to undo what has been done - the objective should always be to salvage what can be saved, not to provide a panacea or an alibi for white middle-class guilt.

13. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Sequitur,

Do you agree with the notion of inheritance - you know, the estate you receive from dead relatives; I guess that is how you call that?

14. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yes, I do, because it's their estate accumulated over the course of their life, and they may discharge it as they see fit. If you're prevented from deciding who receives what when you're dead (and you don't owe creditors anything), there is little point in keeping anything.

Of course, the fact that it's legal is not a guarantee that I'd necessarily be comfortable with it if I knew it came from something I considered unethical or abhorrent. Economic status is at least partly hereditary, IMO. That's part of the reason why I believe I have that moral responsibility to improve and assist where I can (because I'm in a relatively privileged position compared to many).

EDIT: @T2 - Ain't that the sad truth...

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

And it's taken from 1865 (the abolition of Slavery) to the present, and there still isn't true equality among the races in the US. In 1865, Whites controled the means of production and the wealth, so it's been slow and steady, but it still took it's own sweet time for Blacks to gain some of that power. I believe that society will ultimately balance it based on the merits of the people, but it will still take time...

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gnarf, it's not just in America. And it's not just with blacks.

17. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I simply looked at the example of America because I thought that would be most common to the experience and observation to the majority here. You see the same with natives in Canada and the US, and any region where one race holding the power was institutionalized for such a long time. I did not mean to deny that it happens to other peoples in other lands...

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

@ NonSequiter:

I agree that a lot can be done to improve the lot of the less fortunate. I just do not feel that I should be FORCED to sacrifice my goods for the sake of others when I did nothing wrong.

To agree with Svy, which is rare for me, the idea that is often promulgated quite frequently in the halls of higher learning is that white men, by virtue of their skin colour, should hate themselves and beg forgiveness from every single minority they come across for daring to be Caucasian.

At University, any time I ventured an opinion on something, I was basically told "well, you're only a white guy, you could not possibly understand, so shut up." THAT sort of nonsense is something I refuse to have any truck with, because it is JUST as racist and demeaning as American slavery or Apartheid.

19. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Odd, I never came across anything even close to resembling this at Uni, nor for that matter have I ever come across Racism (including against White Males) in the course of my working life. Maybe it's due to the nerdishness of Science and Engineering - eyes too glued to the text to notice someones colour.

20. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Don't get me wrong -- this is not to say that I condone racism against melanin enhanced individuals because I am painting myself as a "poor white male". I'm simply pointing out that the whole racist thing cuts both ways.

Oh, this sort of thing is frequent in English and Social Science departments across Canada, and I'm guessing the U.S. too, though I don't have any firsthand info on the U.S. institutions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.