1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions on class abilities.

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Skywind, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

1.If a paladin multi-classed with a Champion of Torm, since both have lay on hands and smite evil, it mean the paladin/COT will be-able to use both abilities twice a day right?
    2. Can barbarian's damage reduction stacks with Dwarven Defender's damage reduction after multi-classed or are their damage reduction are from the same feats, which mean it will not stack?

2. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Damage reduction stacks I believe.

Same story with the Paladin/COT abilities.

3. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Can you even have a Dwarven Defender Barbarian? I thought that the alignments clashed?

4. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

You are correct, Khazraj.

A Dwarven Defender must be Lawful and a Barbarian can not be.

A Dwarven Defender can't be a Barbarian, Paladin or a Monk.

Most people who do a DD use Rogue and Fighter.

A Paladin / Champion of Torm is really overkill. You do get two doses of "Lay on Hands", but why would you want to?

5. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, it's not entirely impossible to combine classes with conflicting alignments. You could start as one and, if playing a module that can change your alignment, change it so you can take the other class. But indeed you can't advance in both at the same time.

6. Hacken Slash

Good point, Meatdog...although I would bet that it is easier to go from Lawful to Chaotic and from Good to Evil than vice versa.

In fact...I have never seen an action that shifted my alignment from Chaotic to Lawful...

Not sure if it is actually possible.

7. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Sorry to disappoint you about the paladin Champion of Torm, but you don't gain extra uses... At Least I didn't and was pretty bummed out... But the answer is no, your uses a day stay the same.

8. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The paladin/COT abilities stack though. So, say your LOH is supposed to be 30 for paladin levels and 10 for COT levels. It would be 40.

And as mentioned above, you can shift your alignment to get a barbarian/dwarven defender. You can shift from neutral toward lawful (a barbarian doesn't have to be chaotic). Off the top of my head, at the beginning of SOU you have the ability to gain 7 points toward lawful pretty quick. I think the way most do it though is just in fan made mods or a private mod for the purpose of shifting the alignment (not sure why you couldn't just manually shift the alignment, *shrug).

9. Hacken Slash

Problem is, as starting Neutral character your alignment number will be 50 and you won't hit "Lawful" alignment until you get to 70. A 20 point shift in that direction seems a little too much to ever hope for.

Now, on the other hand, you could start as a Lawful Fighter, Paladin or Ranger (for the high BAB). Your Alignment number will be 85. Take 7 levels in this Class, making sure you take Dodge and Toughness (Start with a DEX of 13 or better). At level 8 you can take Dwarven Defender, and keep taking levels until you have all you want. While you are working up to that level, take opportunities to break down locked doors in villages and Inns (this will work only in HotU...Lawful/Chaotic events were new to the expansion)...each event will shift your alignment 3 points toward Chaotic. Once you drop below 70 you will be able to take levels as a Barbarian, but no additional ones as a DD.

Unless you want an experience penalty, you will need to take Fighter as your first class and always keep it higher than Barbarian.

Might be a good build...but you can't be a Barbarian Dwarven Defender until late in your career.

10. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Oh! It seems that I didn't notice so much of these. So it means the the paladin/COT can only uses the two abilities once per day, but with combined Level of both classes and since barbarian/DD don't match properly, I will drop the idea of creating one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.